Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 & Boot CD!

UPDATE - 13 JANUARY 2007

<snipped>

This guide has been offline for some time now due to numerous reasons. The guide has been completely reviewed, rewritten and redesigned. The guide is currently being hosted on my free hosting from my ISP. If you are able to help support and host this guide please use the email address provided in the contact section of the guide to get in contact with me. Thank you.

PETER ILIFFE - 12/01/2007@7.23PM

<snipped>

THIS IS THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE TO SLIPSTREAMING WINDOWS XP AND SERVICE PACK 2.

<snipped>

THIS IS THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE TO SLIPSTREAMING WINDOWS XP AND SERVICE PACK 2.

Edited by John S.

This is a nice and easy to read tut, its really specific and the images help allot :)

Its pretty long, but im sure he wrote it slowly for us to catch up :laugh:

Overall, nicely written

Kurt

This is a nice and easy to read tut, its really specific and the images help allot :)

Its pretty long, but im sure he wrote it slowly for us to catch up :laugh:

Overall, nicely written

Kurt

Thanks alot :D

I wrote is so that any new PC user could understand it. No one should have a problem understanding it. However if someone does then Id like to know so I can help them and if possible modify what I have written so it is more understandable. :)

Regards

Peter :blink:

Wow, the most detailed guide I've seen! Excellent for newbies.

I have a question though, does it matter if it's burned with "Track-at-once" as indicated in the guide OR "Disc-at-once"?

Wow, the most detailed guide I've seen! Excellent for newbies.

I have a question though, does it matter if it's burned with "Track-at-once" as indicated in the guide OR "Disc-at-once"?

either will do fine, if you do have a problem if you dont mind please tell me what your specs are etc so i can modify my guide...im plannning on developing this guide a lot bigger. to cover integrating other software, serials, dvds etc and security and yeh...so shud be the biggest guide available hopefully. im working on the other parts at the moment if anyone is interested in helping. sorry bout my messy writing here. after three days of full research and writing of that document i get tired lol.

Regards

I guess it is ok with both method of burning. My mind is probably messing with me cuz I remember reading it somewhere that sometimes with Track-at-once it may not boot properly and it is better to do it with Disc-at-once. I might be wrong or inaccurate but of course you've done it so it works. I've always done it with Disc-at-once so that works. I hope i'm not confusing anyone, I just wanted to clarify for myself.

I guess it is ok with both method of burning. My mind is probably messing with me cuz I remember reading it somewhere that sometimes with Track-at-once it may not boot properly and it is better to do it with Disc-at-once. I might be wrong or inaccurate but of course you've done it so it works. I've always done it with Disc-at-once so that works. I hope i'm not confusing anyone, I just wanted to clarify for myself.

I will look into it further, the two options can differ on different burners i would say. I'll modify my guide to say that either option is fine to use however if one does not work when trying to boot the cd to try the other. thanks for your input it is appreciated. :woot:

Regards

Hey there, that is a great guide, very clear about how to slipstream. Im juz wondering, 1) can u slipstream SP2 into a cd that already has SP1 slipstreamed and 2) how to slipstream other progs into it like Trend Micro apps and winamp n stuff, and can u have them with serials already entered etc.

Hey there, that is a great guide, very clear about how to slipstream. Im juz wondering, 1) can u slipstream SP2 into a cd that already has SP1 slipstreamed and 2) how to slipstream other progs into it like Trend Micro apps and winamp n stuff, and can u have them with serials already entered etc.

It is HIGHLY recommended not to try and slipstream SP2 into a Windows XP CD which has already has SP1 or SP1a previously slipstreamed on it. Your best of creating a new CD. I am currently working on a VERY DETAILED guide to add onto this current one on how to slipstream extra software onto the CD. However there may be two versions for this, DVD and CD as you will run out of room on CD with the SP2, Windows XP files and additional software. I am as for serials for the additional software that I don't think can happen but will be looked into. I have however come up with a way to auto-enter your Windows XP serial key.

I recommend to everyone, DO NOT use software like nLite to make your slipstreaming CD's. Things are always safer doing them manually. Not only that but nLite removes some files from the installation to shorten the installation process and make Windows XP faster. However alot of people have had problems with this and so it is dangerous. Some people have had problems of missing system files. Please dont waste your time with it and just take the time to be carefull and follow my guide or another guide.

Regards

P.S Dont be afraid to ask further questions anyone. I am willing to help out as much as I can and will edit my current manual to meet as many users needs as possible. :)

@ ptiliffe

Who says that its HIGHLY recomended to not slipstream SP2 into SP1/a cd?

You can add software to the cd and make it install after the installation of windows.

You have come up with a way to auto-enter windows xp key?omg...you leet...try not to make it sound like the discover of the year...its called unattended installation and it came from win98 time...so it has been around for quite some time.

The function of nLite is exactly that...to take out what you dont need of windows...like windows media player...ie...blah blah blah....and i can assure you...it works fine if you know what you are doing.

Not trying to start a flame war or something...but when you say something like that, try to say its just your opinion.

On the subject of "Disc-At-Once" and "Track-At-Once" ... details on this are sketchy but I've had problems with corrupt files with Track-At-Once, but never had a problem with Disc-At-Once. If either are acceptable as you suggest, I would suggest recommending Disc-At-Once just to be on the safe side.

I have used nlite alot i think its fine i can do it manually but n lite saves alot of time...

I dont think u should make allegations like u did if u havent got anything to back them up with

I have used nlite alot i think its fine i can do it manually but n lite saves alot of time...

I dont think u should make allegations like u did if u havent got anything to back them up with

Exactly what i think!

Well we all have our own opinions and from testing upon testing i have come to my conclusion. people may take it how i serve or find another way. if nlite is their choice, good for them. i give my opinion and my warnings, if people dont decide to follow what i say then thats their own problem and responsibilities. if you dont want to start a flame war then you shall not tell someone what and what not to do. if you have your opinions express them but DO NOT talk down to another member of this forum. do not treat others with disrespect just because you beleive different and have had different results. i try and give my best opinions on mine and others experiences. if this is not good enough read something else, or write your own darn manual, the way YOU think things should happen.

Regards

Very nice job telling how to Slipstream. Lots of screenshots, and lots of description. I think you made it so simple that n00bs could figure it out.

Exellent job.

Well we all have our own opinions and from testing upon testing i have come to my conclusion. people may take it how i serve or find another way. if nlite is their choice, good for them. i give my opinion and my warnings, if people dont decide to follow what i say then thats their own problem and responsibilities. if you dont want to start a flame war then you shall not tell someone what and what not to do. if you have your opinions express them but DO NOT talk down to another member of this forum. do not treat others with disrespect just because you beleive different and have had different results. i try and give my best opinions on mine and others experiences. if this is not good enough read something else, or write your own darn manual, the way YOU think things should happen.

Regards

How am i disrespecting you..

Im disrepecting you as much as your disrespecting the makers of nlite by slating their program...

I just reloaded Windows XP yesterday using the XP with SP2 slipstreamed CD-ROM I created and I didn't have a problem with the installation. But I will have to look at that other thread in Neowin to see how I could add third-party software like Mozilla to the XP installation disk.

I even found out that XP with SP2 slipstreamed takes 100 MB more space than XP Gold when using NTFS and on CD-ROM, about 90 MB more space was required. Makes me wonder if SP3 may require larger than a 700 MB CD-R, LOL! :D

Only asking, is it better to install service pack 2 and other things after u have install windows or is it better to include it with windows when its installing......???

If u know what i mean lol

Only asking, is it better to install service pack 2 and other things after u have install windows or is it better to include it with windows when its installing......???

So its kind of like a "to slipstream, or not to slipstream...that is the question"

Personally I believe in slipstreaming, its so much easier, and when you get done and you check windows for updates, there are none.

Very nice job telling how to Slipstream. Lots of screenshots, and lots of description. I think you made it so simple that n00bs could figure it out.

Exellent job.

Thanks alot for your input. Im trying to write it as best as I can with as much relavant information as possible so that anyone can understand it. When people apreciate it, it really means something. :happy:

Regards

Yes I know what you mean. Basically if you dont remove any of the Windows files by using software like nlite or even removing them manually you wont have a problem (hopefully). You shouldnt really have any problems if you created the slipstream cd correctly. As to whats the main difference, well time and convenience really. What would you prefer, installing windows for an hour and then letting it boot. Restart then installing service pack 2 for an hour? or would you prefer to do the lot in one hit in under two hours? All slipstreaming does is basiclly unpack sp2 into the correct windows installation files as if they were originally there, so basically you could say your old copy of windows xp from the shop is like v1.0 but now that you have the slipstreamed cd u have v2.0 on cd with all the latest stuff. thats basically the point to have all the updates in one convenient place and save major time and hassle. good luck with what ever you choose to do. :)

Regards

I just reloaded Windows XP yesterday using the XP with SP2 slipstreamed CD-ROM I created and I didn't have a problem with the installation. But I will have to look at that other thread in Neowin to see how I could add third-party software like Mozilla to the XP installation disk.

I even found out that XP with SP2 slipstreamed takes 100 MB more space than XP Gold when using NTFS and on CD-ROM, about 90 MB more space was required. Makes me wonder if SP3 may require larger than a 700 MB CD-R, LOL! :D

slipstreaming software onto the cd is my next manual i am writing, if it is going to be built into this manual i am not sure. i am thinking of making a mini site for this whole windows thing and keep it updated with the latest tips on how to save time with slipstreaming etc. also the new manual im writing will hopefully cover cds and dvds slipstreaming as once you slipstream winxp and sp2 there is little room left on the cd for larger applications. how bout slipstreaming all that music u have stored onto your computer into one convenient folder when windows installs. how bout nortons and its latests updates (or other antivirus software) automatically installed with the latest updates ready to protect you. this next manual is going to cover alot. and will be as detailed as this one if not more. hope you enjoy the current one and future writings from me.

Regards