iBook G4, 12"

Hi

yesterday I ordered my firstever apple...iBook G4 12"/1.2 GHz.

today I read on some obscure websites that iBooks are either not compatible or not capable of Tiger's new graphics engine...Core Image/Video whatever.

is it true ?

makes me nervous :huh:

doubt they would phaze out g4's so early.

just found this:

The performance gains and features supported by Core Image ultimately depend on the graphics card. Graphics cards capable of pixel-level programming deliver the best performance. But Core Image automatically scales as appropriate for systems with older graphics cards, for compatibility with any Tiger-compatible Mac.

Supported graphics cards:

* ATI Radeon 9800 XT

* ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

* ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

* ATI Radeon 9600 XT

* ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

* ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

* ATI Mobility Radeon 9600

* NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra

* NVIDIA GeForceFX Go 5200

* NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra

so I am guessing not? DAMMIT my new ibook is the same...upgraded vid card maybe? (Or just buy my imac at that point...hmmmm.)

BUT it looks like that'd be the only feature not working? Probably can disable that no problemo...everything else fails mention ANY word of sys req's.

The graphics card doesn't support Core Video in Tiger so far. But remember Tiger's not finalized yet.

Anyway I don't think it's a very big deal. You're just missing out some eye candy, which some people will disable anyway. The new line of iBooks are good deals so don't regret.

So far this is what I hear Apple might do one of the two with Core Image

- Turn off the effects: Ups performance, but less eye candy

- Scale Effects down: You will be able to see some effects while others might be slow or you might not be able to see them at all.

As far as I know, all the effects that could be seen in Tiger already could be seen by something less powerful than the iBook's GPU.

:angry: Don't start me on 12 inch ibooks!

I work in service for an apple reseller...HUNDREDs of ibooks lol

they ...are...driving me insaaaaneee

not bad machines though

easy to work on - if it breaks :whistle:

Its not "supported" but they said on the Tiger preview on the apple website that it will "scale down" to older gfx cards.

I have a 5200 in my powerbook which is supported but from the looks of things I wouldn't even use some of panther's new graphics-based features. Expose is awesome but widgets and stuff really don't pique my interest.

Actually none of the new features in Panther really interest me except Safari and Mail 2.0 which ought to be d/l able even on "older" versions. The OS itself is supposed to be faster but I don't know that I'm going to buy it :no: it just doesn't seem worth it for some extra features I'm not intrested in.