VMware Workstation 5 Final Realeased?

hope this isn't too offtopic, but perhaps some neowin vmware users could help me out here.

Whenever I tried using vmware 4.5 (as well as the 5.x betas), I could never send mail to any outside email servers. They would just sit in the queue undelivered. I used vmware to run Exchange 5.5 (on nt4) and then Exchange 2000 (win2000), and in both cases I could never successfully send any emails out. Has anyone ever heard of a problem like this with vmware?

I know I can send mail out (as well as configure exchange correctly) as I have done so outside of VMware using my normal desktop machine, and I was able to send and receive messages just fine (had mx records and dns configured, as well as firewall ports forward port 25 traffic to my internal IP).

As far as I could tell I had DNS working properly in all my VMware environments, as I could access the internet using IE. I also tried using NAT and using the bridge mode in VMware, where you share the ethernet port but use a differnet IP. And I made sure that I forwarded all port 25 traffic from my firewall to my vmware IP, and not my desktop. I also turned off the firewall on my desktop running vmware just to make sure all traffic would get through. What is even stranger is that I had two vmware sessions running at once - a 2000 workstation client on Office XP-, and it was able to ping the other vmware session, as well as join the domain, and talk to the Exchange server (sent my emails that way), so IP routing doesn't appear to be an issue.

I've checked vmware's forums but no one has reported anything like this. It's as if all port 25 traffic outgoing is blocked in vmware sessions. :blink:

any help is appreciated. Thanks

Hi

Yup, same here, pretty stranges, was just looking around on their site for their version 5 and found it to be already released, just d/l a trial copy.

**************** VMware Invoice/Order Confirmation ****************

Thank you for your order from the VMware Store.

Your credit card order has been received and your Order# XXXXXXXX has been processed.

blah, blah, blah...

VMware Workstation 5 Upgrade (for Windows operating systems), Version 4 to 5    1      $99.00

Commercial License

Electronic Download Distribution

:D

So far i'm not impressed. Windows 2000 install just resets at the last step of the installation and then continues at the beginning when it restarts.