2012 Olympic Games

Which City Do You Think The 2012 Summer Olympics Should Be Held ?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Which City Do You Think The 2012 Summer Olympics Should Be Held ?

• PARIS, France
    • NEW YORK, USA
    • MOSCOW, Russia
    • LONDON, Great Britain
    • MADRID, Spain

A two way slug out between Paris and London.

Myself, I don't think Britain can host the event, tell me yours.

585480979[/snapback]

Why do you think Britain cannot host the event. They hosted the commonwealth games last year in Manchester and it was a great success.

I think Britain should get the Olympics. Just think of the amount of sporting facilities that will be constructed and the rejuvenation of certain areas of East London.

Why do you think Britain cannot host the event.  They hosted the commonwealth games last year in Manchester and it was a great success.

I think Britain should get the Olympics.  Just think of the amount of sporting facilities that will be constructed and the rejuvenation of certain areas of East London.

585481000[/snapback]

Have you got a spare month?

I will start off, with, crime, poverty, transport, already a lack of sporting facilities, poor school sports, cost to tax payer, etc..

We should get our Country in order before hosting such a major event.

None of the above. It should go to New York. New York has the potential resources to do it. They have plans to build Olympic Village in Long Island City, NY. The New Jets Stadium will go up on Hudson Yard (Digging begins this July 6).

What a way to open the world to the "new" New York once we have all these facilities, and Freedom Tower @ the WTC site.

There are so many more things they have planned.

None of the above.  It should go to New York.  New York has the potential resources to do it.  They have plans to build Olympic Village in Long Island City, NY.  The New Jets Stadium will go up on Hudson Yard (Digging begins this July 6). 

What a way to open the world to the "new" New York once we have all these facilities, and Freedom Tower @ the WTC site.

There are so many more things they have planned.

585481025[/snapback]

U.S.A. had it 2 times since 1984, so it's not their turn for Donkey's years.

I will start off, with, crime, poverty, transport, already a lack of sporting facilities, poor school sports, cost to tax payer, etc..

We should get our Country in order before hosting such a major event.

585481009[/snapback]

Firstly, all countries have crime, poverty and transport problems.

As I see it. The beauty of the Olympics is that the government have to fork out cash to improve the transport links and facilities and then charge hugh amounts of cash so people can go and see it. Most games make a profit for the country through extra tourism and ticket prices.

I see it as a no lose situation.

Come on London 2012!!

U.S.A. had it 2 times since 1984, so it's not their turn for Donkey's years.

585481035[/snapback]

No offense, but that is an ignorant statement. The USA is a huge country. It's like saying Europe has had it two times the past 15 years.

Look at it this way. Since 1896:

Summer Olympics

London 2

Paris 2

New York 0

If you pay close attention, you would realize that the Olympic committee does it by cities and not countries.

Paris seems as the best choice so far...

London's public transport system is rotten and will not cope even after a multimillion investment by the government.

As for NY, the major problem there is the Visa requirements that got much more strict since the 11th of Sept events. And as mentioned by leesmithg, USA hosted the Olympics not too long ago.

As for those who compare the summer Olympics with the Commonwealth games, i can't help myself but laugh. :laugh:

As for those who compare the summer Olympics with the Commonwealth games, i can't help myself but laugh.  :laugh:

585481081[/snapback]

I think the point they were tring to make is that the UK can host a major sporting event. (Obviously the Olympics is slighly larger!!)

I think the point they were tring to make is that the UK can host a major sporting event.  (Obviously the Olympics is slighly larger!!)

585481149[/snapback]

And my point is that the Olympics are far from... "slightly larger" than the Commonwealth games.

They are not that much larger.

OK, so probably double the amount of people, but how many more events are there?

585481179[/snapback]

Statistics between the Olympics and the Commonwealth...

-Olympic Games (2004):

Countries Participating: 202

Athletes: 11,909

Days: 17 (excluding Paralympics)

Sports Events: 28 (37 Disciplines)

Venues: 35

Commonwealth Games (2002):

Countries Partcipating: 70

Athletes: 3,863

Days: 11

Sport Events: 17

Venues: 15

It is pretty clear, we are not talking about double numbers here, and if you include the tickets sold, prices, revenues, broadcasting fees, and so on, it gets out of hand really.

No offense, but that is an ignorant statement.? The USA is a huge country.? It's like saying Europe has had it two times the past 15 years.

Look at it this way.? Since 1896Summer Olympics/b>

London 2

Paris 2

New York 0

If you pay close attention, you would realize that the Olympic committee does it by cities and not countries.

585481078[/snapback]

If you get your facts straight we hosted in the 1900's as no-one else could as the country that was supposed to could'nt do it, so we did it after the war even though we were skint. 1948 after ww2.

1896 Athens Greece

1900 Paris France

1904 St Louis USA

1906 Athens Greece

1908 London England

1912 Stockholm Sweden

1920 Antwerp Belgium

1924 Paris France

1928 Amsterdam Holland

1932 Los Angeles USA

1936 Berlin Germany

1948 London England

1952 Helsinki Finland

1956 Melbourne Australia

1960 Rome Italy

1964 Tokyo Japan

1968 Mexico City Mexico

1972 Munich FRG

1976 Montreal Canada

1980 Moscow Soviet Union

1984 Los Angeles USA

1988 Seoul Korea

1992 Barcelona Spain

1996 Atlanta USA

2000 Sydney Australia

2004 Athens Greece

U.S.A. has had it a lot of times.

If you get your facts straight we hosted in the 1900's as no-one else could as the country that was supposed to could'nt do it, so we did it after the war even though we were skint. 1948 after ww2.

U.S.A. has had it a lot of times.

585481276[/snapback]

My point is that the USA is a big country. The Olympics do it by city and not country. It has never been in New York that is why it should go to NY. One of the greatest cities in the World.

Madrid!!!!

Why you didnt write this option in the poll? Madrid 2012 the best!!!!!  :p  :laugh:

585484280[/snapback]

I would have done, I apologise for not putting them in. I got the feeling it was a 'two Horse race'.

I didn't think the Spanish Olympic commitee had enough money to bribe the Olympic commitee :unsure:

I'd like to see a country that didn't host the Olympics so far... (=_=)

585483981[/snapback]

Seconded.

As long as they have the funds and other resources to do so.

i would love London to do it but i dont think we will get it this one coming up, i think we will host the next one after that :ninja: ;) this one coming will go to Paris i reckon! possibly even Brussels i think is the German county doing it! :yes: