Keane left Man Utd!

Source: BBC news

Keane in shock exit from Man Utd

Roy Keane

Whilst it is a sad day for me to leave such a great club and manager I believe that the time has now come for me to move on

Roy Keane

Roy Keane has left Manchester United by mutual consent.

The Old Trafford club confirmed in a statement on Friday that Keane, 34, had left with immediate effect after 12-and-a-half years with United.

Keane gave an interview to MUTV last month, after a 4-1 defeat at Middlesbrough which he did not play in, where he was critical of the side.

That interview was never shown and it appears the fall-out has contributed to one of United's most dramatic exits.

Keane's representative Michael Kennedy met United chief executive David Gill at Old Trafford on Friday to thrash out details of Keane's severance, and the stunning news was then announced.

Following the announcement Keane, manager Sir Alex Ferguson and Gill all made statements of their own, with none of them mentioning any behind-the-scenes problems between the player and his club.

Keane said: "It has been a great honour and privilege for me to play for Manchester United for over 12 years.

"During my time at the club I have been fortunate to play alongside some of the best players in the game and in front of the best supporters in the world.

"At all times I have endeavoured to do my best for the management and the team.

"Whilst it is a sad day for me to leave such a great club and Manager I believe that the time has now come for me to move on. After so many years, I will miss everyone at the club.

"I send my best wishes for the future to the management, players, staff and supporters of the club."

Ferguson said: "Roy Keane has been a fantastic servant for Manchester United.

"The best midfield player in the world of his generation, he is already one of the great figures in our club's illustrious history.

"Roy has been central to the success of the club in the last 12-and-a-half years and everyone at Old Trafford wishes him well in the rest of his career and beyond."

Gill said: "Roy has been a towering figure at the club for over a decade. His dedication, talent and leadership have been qualities that have marked him out as one of the true greats.

"On behalf of everyone at the club, we wish him every success in his future career."

lol , sorry man u fan here!!

neer expected this at all!

figured he would definately leave at the end of the season.

looks like we HAVE to get michael Ballack now.

Who dya reckons gonna take over the captaincy? I reckon Gary Neville once hes back from injury!

I was quite surprised that Keane left in the middle of the season, I thought he would want to have a perfect end to his Manchester Utd career so he would stay to the end of the season and see what happens. Leaving in November just strikes me as messy to be honest!

Personally, I think Roy will sign for Celtic and have one full season there, so if he signs soon then he will probably be there for at least 18 months. A fairy tale end to his playing career as Celtic were his boyhood club.

It is a major blow to United, as they were getting a lot of critisism recently (Boro lol :D), and even came in for some critisism from Keane himself! Although Roy is not as influential now as he once was he is still a major presence on the pitch for them, experience counts for a lot these days, especially with Man Utd having lots of new youngsters (Rooney, Ronaldo, Fletcher etc) experience is needed.

I'm a Liverpool fan so I hope Man Utd crash and burn, but from a footballing point of view I would also of liked him to stay at Man Utd until the end of the season.

After 12 years at Man Utd (I think) he left! He was a great player (I support Arsenal) and had some great momments too. Would be great to see who is going to get him now.

After 12 years at Man Utd (I think) he left! He was a great player (I support Arsenal) and had some great momments too. Would be great to see who is going to get him now.

586830704[/snapback]

I dont think he will play in the Premiership again, because of his links with Man Utd. I am more or less certain he will go to Celtic or stop playing all together.

On the one hand, i am sad, but on the other, i feel the time had come...

The MUTV interview when he criticised the team,i think that was a step too far as it had a damaging effect on the team rather than influential...the game after keane said all this stuff about his team mates was the game against lyon in the champs league, that was one of teh worst united performances i have seen in recent times (along with the boro one), but they just looked shellshocked like they had no passion.

So after that game, Sir Alex takes them all in, closes the doors to the media and does what he does best and restores the passion and fire in the team for teh chelsea game. I see this as a new chapter for the club, a big name midfield signing in the summer, eg. Ballack, Gattusso, Aldo Duscher and it will go someway to filling the gap, although if smudger alan (smith) plays like he did against chelsea every game, he would be a great replacement :yes:

On the one hand, i am sad, but on the other, i feel the time had come...

The MUTV interview when he criticised the team,i think that was a step too far as it had a damaging effect on the team rather than influential...the game after keane said all this stuff about his team mates was the game against lyon in the champs league, that was one of teh worst united performances i have seen in recent times (along with the boro one), but they just looked shellshocked like they had no passion.

So after that game, Sir Alex takes them all in, closes the doors to the media and does what he does best and restores the passion and fire in the team for teh chelsea game. I see this as a new chapter for the club, a big name midfield signing in the summer, eg. Ballack, Gattusso, Aldo Duscher and it will go someway to filling the gap, although if smudger alan (smith) plays like he did against chelsea every game, he would be a great replacement :yes:

586831532[/snapback]

It was Lille Man Utd played and lost against, not Lyon.

Personally, I think Keane had every right to say what he wanted about the club, it was within reason. He was the captain so it was his responsibility to try and sort things out amongst the team (bickering, no passion etc) as well as Ferguson.

Last week a few of the players (eg: Smith), commented that Keane did the right thing to critisise them, so that must of had a positive effect?

If Keane wishes to come to play for the `tic then great, as long as he realises they wont pay his ?90k a week wages, I mean Larrson was earning up to ?45k a week before he left which was a club record, and Keane aint a patch on Henri;);) Golden boot anyone?

We dont need another joke like Iain Wright again either, that was a waste of money and seen as a easy wage for him. Not that I think Keane wouldnt play his socks off for his boyhood heroes.

Dont get me wrong Keane is awesome and id be tickled pink seeing him in my beloved hoops, we will just have to wait until Jan 1st 2006 before we will know for sure.:pinch:h:

The way the Celtic team is playing atm, his reputation and skills would mean a lot but he would have to prove he is worthy of replacing any of our 1st team choices atm.

I cant see him and Lennon playing in the same quad without kicking lumps out of each other thou.:whistle:e:

yeah i dont think they will break the bank for him, i think it will be a case of if he wants to play for the tic he will have to take when he is given !! hail hail

yeah i dont think they will break the bank for him, i think it will be a case of if he wants to play for the tic he will have to take when he is given !! hail hail

586835137[/snapback]

If he was that bothered about money I think he would of stayed at Manure until the 1st of January anyway before he mutually terminated his contract.

So he cant be to hard up for cash :laugh: