Windows XP Media Center Edition vs Windows XP Pro

Question

I am about to format my computer and have both operating systems (one from my university another came with my computer). Besides the actual, obvious Media Center app in Media Center 2005 edition, which I never use, does that version of Windows offer any technical benefits over XP Professional?

9 answers to this question

apart from the MC App, there is no real difference when comparing it to XP,

I do know that the video drivers are different for XP and MCE. MCE could be like windows 2003 server, a slightly updated kernal core?

I have only personally noticed 4 things MCE2005 has, that XP Pro doesnt have, by default. Those are the digital media enhancements: windows audip converter, windows cd lable maker, windows dancer, and windows party mode.

I rarely use my MCE computer for anything except for TV, so maybe others that use it as a main OS will notice more differnces.

So, basically, Media Center is more based off of XP Home than Professional? Because I'm about to buy MCE or XP Pro, but if I get ripped off in network functionality with MCE, count me out. Can someone confirm this? MS is pretty cryptic on their site.

MCE is XP Pro based with the ehome components added (duh) and no ability to join a domain.

If your Graphics card has TV-out and that good stuff, you should consider MCE. But seeing as you don't use it, you can just use XP Pro

Cool, thanks. Also, I found this from the horse's mouth on MS's site...

Can I connect a new PC running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 to a work network or domain?

While you can access network resources on a work network or a domain, you cannot join a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 PC to the domain. PCs running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 are designed specifically for home use. Windows XP Professional features, specifically Domain Join and Cached Credentials (Credentials Manager for logons) are not included. As a result, you will be prompted for your logon user name and password to access network resources after you reboot or log back on to the PC. In addition, file shares or network resources that are set to require a domain-joined PC for access will not be available. Remote Desktop and Encrypting File System support are still included.

yeah, you should go with XP pro if you are going to get one, especially if you don't use the MCE features. It gives you more administrative features also.

"The atheist can't find God for the same reason that a thief can't find a policeman."

lol :rolleyes: