[review] Nikon D50 DSLR camera

Alright, let’s face it: we’ve all been impressed at some time or another when a professional photographer grabs that snapshot of that goal in that basketball game and it looks absolutely stunning and then you think to yourself “man I wish I could take a picture like that”

That’s pretty much how this all started. I had a Point & Shoot Canon A510 digital camera which took some great pictures, but get indoors or waning to take super sharp sports photos, your outta luck. The picture either had a lot of noise (artifacts) or there was just too much detail in the background which took away from the subject (such as runners) So I wanted something different.

I looked at the so called “bridge” cameras which have a large zoom, image stabilization and a lot of other SLR like features, most of which are in the $350-500 range (Panasonic FZ-5, Canon S2 IS are 2 popular ones) but they suffered from the same noise problems as my camera (although not as bad)

I was about a week from buying one of the bridge cameras, then I walked into Sears and fooled around with the Canon Digital Rebel XT and just loved the feel of it especially since I was able to focus and zoom via ring instead of some lever. So started my DSLR love.

I found out the Canon was just too expensive and then was refered to the Nikon D50 which was something I could afford. After reading some professional reviews, I found that the Nikon actually had better lenses at cheaper prices, less noise then the DRxt and just felt a lot more solid then the Canon.

1059656.jpg

Now here are the listed advantages over a Point and Shoot camera:

~INSTANT startup – and I mean by the time you get the viewfinder to your eye, the cameras ready.

~Rapid shot to shot – I can get about 3 frames per second

~Excelent quality in low light – a lot better ISO and no noise

~Interchangeable Lenses

~Supurb Battery Life

~Full Manual Controls

~Build Quality

~RAW image support

To most beginners, having more then one lens can be pretty scary. When do you actually want to use X lens instead of Y? I decided to get the “Kit” which contained an Nikkor 18-55mm ED DX 3x (28-80 in 35mm terms) zoom lens. When you start, this will cover almost all of your needs and will allow you to explore your new world of digital photography. I have found the lens to be useful outdoors and some indoors, but because the largest aperture (opening which allows light to get in, lower the number, the more light that can get in) is F3.5 at 18mm and F5.6 at 55mm, you have to use the flash in low light pictures.

I also decided to get the Nikkor 50mm F1.8 portrait lens and have been using it primarily. Its only $100 USD and it allows you to take indoor photos without having to use any flash, and almost all the photos I have taken have come out great. The fun (although sometimes annoying part) is if you want to get closer to the object you move closer, further, move back.

Something to note with all DSLR cameras: There is a crop factor. That means that since the sensor is smaller then the opening of the lens, the focal range actually gets larger. In the Nikon D50, there is a 1.5x crop factor which makes a 100mm lens into a 150mm lens.

In the box there is: camera, lens, neck strap, USB cable, video out cable, huge 133 page manual, battery and charger.

The feel of the camera is amazing. It just "fits" I personally dont think its too heavy or too light and just doesnt feel like a toy like I thought the Canon did. A lot more sturdy and it feels professional.

The battery takes about 2 hours to fully charge and I have gone about 300 pictures so far (about 80 had flash) and I still have the full 3 bars of life. The flash is amazing. It takes less then a second to recharge and doesnt seem to overexpose like my canon did on occasion.

Camera Specs:

6.1mp sensor

shutter speeds ranging from 30s-1/4000s

ISO levels from 200-1600

2” LCD, build in flash

SD card slot

viewfinder

hotshoe for external flashes

B&W information LCD on top with all of your settings displayed on it.

It weighs about 1.5lbs (600ish grams) without a lens and is constructed of heavy duty polyurethane plastic coated in a “sticky” rubberish surface which I find extremely comfortable to hold.

It has a variety of shooting modes including: Automatic, Sports, Night, Portrait, Landscape, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Manual and a few others.

SOMETHING TO NOTE: WITH NO DSLR CAN YOU SHOOT VIA THE LCD. You MUST use the viewfinder to compose pictures. That is because there is a mirror blocking the sensor which bounces and hits a prism in the viewfinder which is retracted when the shutter is released.

As far as i can tell, Nikon doesn't include its $100 image software (overpriced? Canon includes software with their P&S cameras free...) which can handle the camera's RAW files. I didn't go looking on the disk, so i'm sure theres a plugin for other programs, but Photoshop CS2 had support for it already so i was set there.

Take a look at some of the pictures I have snapped below and see if you like it. I'll get more up as I take them.

The body only is $540USD and with the 18-55mm kit its $640 (12/16/05)

Pros:

Size/Weight

Value

ISO performance (better then D70s and Canon 350D)

Quality of Pics

Excelent feel to the camera

Clear, sharp display LCD

Cons:

Only 6MP, can be a letdown for 8x10" prints

No Depth of Field Preview

Cannot use Aperature ring on lens to control aperature (across entire Nikon line)

No Info LCD backlight

No included free software for RAW (NEF)

The snowman picture and coin were with the 50mm F1.8 lens, ISO 800 and the sign was with the 18-55 at ISO 400. No post processing was used (no photoshop or anything)

post-32248-1134781632_thumb.jpg

post-32248-1134781643_thumb.jpg

post-32248-1134781653_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brandon

Do you shoot RAW? If so, how fast does it write to memory versus JPG/TIFF?

I have a 50x Kingston 1GB SD card, It has buffer for 4 frames RAW and 9 JPEG before it writes to the Card. I would say I can get about 6-7 frames RAW before i notice a slowdown and i can get about 18 or so JPEG before a slowdown is noticed

ISO Comparision, All shutter speeds are 4 seconds

First Pic is on my Canon A510 Point and Shoot at the Max of ISO 400. Second is the D50 at ISO 400, third is my D50 at ISO 1600 (max). Notice how much detail is still retained on the 2 D50 photos

post-32248-1134783543.jpg

post-32248-1134783551.jpg

post-32248-1134783557.jpg

good review

but you can't use the lcd as a viewfinder on DSLRs because of the power requirements of the larger sensor.

Didn't know that, thanks for the tip !

But ya, much more satisfying looking through the lens on a DSLR anyways. With a point and shoot, the corny viewfinders are usually out of whack and aren't very accurate.

No the viewfinder is all optical, in SLRs your are looking through the lense through 2 mirrors. you take a picture, one of the mirros flips up and the shutter opens, thats why you can't look at the LCD,

Good review none the less :)

The region focus in the coin pic looks a little... exagerated.

What kind of lens this uses? I dont think its a Carl Zeiss since those lens capture a more smooth blur in the out of focus area.

The region focus in the coin pic looks a little... exagerated.

What kind of lens this uses? I dont think its a Carl Zeiss since those lens capture a more smooth blur in the out of focus area.

It was the Nikkor 50mm F1.8 at 1.8. The Depth of Field is only a few inches at 1.8 and as i said there was no photoshopping

your sample pictures arent very representing. you need better pictures man, its a d50

Sorry, Ive only had it a day and havent had a chance to get out (baking xmas cookies w. family)

more and better pics will come

good review

but you can't use the lcd as a viewfinder on DSLRs because of the power requirements of the larger sensor.

wrong. you cant use the LCD becuase the chip for the DSLR requires so much of a powerful chip to offload and live view on the LCD, it is just not worth it. the only reason little cameras can do it is because their chips for taking pictures are a fraction of the size, and need far less power of a CPU to get it in live preview.

good review but I completly disagree with your 8x10 shooting

I print in 8x10 almost everyday and also bigger than that. I go 11x17 easily and the 6.1MP sensor isnt an issue

that is why XT and D50 compare themself and the 2MP that the canon has isnt worth to choose the XT over the D50.

my 2 cents

and oh Brandon, did you buy the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 or 1.4 ?

I own a 1.8 and I must say that this is by far my favorite lens.

good review but I completly disagree with your 8x10 shooting

I print in 8x10 almost everyday and also bigger than that. I go 11x17 easily and the 6.1MP sensor isnt an issue

that is why XT and D50 compare themself and the 2MP that the canon has isnt worth to choose the XT over the D50.

my 2 cents

and oh Brandon, did you buy the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 or 1.4 ?

I own a 1.8 and I must say that this is by far my favorite lens.

Only reason why I'd prefer the 8MP for the 8x10 is I usually crop the pic so the res ends up being lower

Good choice, the 1.4 doesnt worth the double price and this is for canon too

I've crop some 8MP photos from the XT to compare to D50 and never seen a difference

maybe you did..

good review again (Y)

With the XT, you get another 400px of width and 300px of height. Although it doesn't make a huge difference, it is definitely noticeable.

The 8MP resolution isn't just a marketing ploy.

Anyway, I'm just picking nits here. The D50 and 350D are a step above all the other entry-level DSLRs.