FAQ / Common Problems & Solutions

post-51082-1135041810.gif

AutoPatcher FAQ / Common Problems and Solutions

Other useful links:

Common Problems and Solutions

1) Run time error 429 - activeX component can't create object!

Install both the setup files in AutoPatchers \win9xnt folder

If that doesnt work, go to start > run, type REGSVR32 SCRRUN.DLL and press enter

If that doesnt work, copy files from C:\Program Files\AutoPatcher\bin to C:\Windows\System32

2) 35602: Key is not unique in collection

You've probably installed the release over an older version, and modules are conflicting.

Delete the folder your installing to, and reinstall the latest version.

Only 'update' releases should be installed on a previous release.

3) AutoPatcher stops with a red X when loading modules

The most common cause is that you've downloaded the English release and your trying to use it on a non-English system.

Modules only load on systems there designed for! In this case, the release is obviously not meant for your system!

4) Installation wizzes by in about 10 seconds but nothing installs

Likely cause: you have non-alphanumeric characters in your Windows username! I.E. only user names with numbers, letters and possibly spaces will work!

Note, altering your username in Windows User Accounts will, i believe, simply change what's displayed, not what is used behind the scenes! You should be able to change it properly via the admin tool 'computer management', or else create a new user account.

5) Networking problems after using AutoPatcher

Probably caused by the IPC$ security tweak. Run AutoPatchers tweakundo tool located in the \Tools directory, and undo the tweak.

This tweak is highly recommended for security reasons which is why im reluctant to remove it, but it can interfere with networking, so undo it if you have trouble.

6) When i double click the AutoPatcher shortcut nothing happens

Go to: C:\Program Files\AutoPatcher\tools, run 'AutoPatcher Module Editor.exe' and close it - next run autopatcher.

If that doesn't help, copy comdlg32.ocx from the AutoPatcher \bin folder to c:\windows\system32 (overwrite existing file if there is one).

7) Run-time error '380': Invalid property value

Copy files from C:\Program Files\AutoPatcher\bin to C:\Windows\System32

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Based on v1.1 written by Raptor. It was hard to find before and some people had trouble downloading it so i moved it here!

Here are some of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about AutoPatcher.

General

Q: What is AutoPatcher?

A:
AutoPatcher could be described as an offline Windows Update. AutoPatcher provides an interface to a large collection of updates, common applications and registry tweaks, that can be easily and quickly applied to your computer system.

Q: What are the advantages of AutoPatcher over Windows Update?

A:
The main advantage is that you just have to do one download in order to have all the patches and add-ons, such as Sun Java, MSN Messenger 7.x and Windows Media Player 10. If you have many computers or if you format your computer frequently, it saves both time and bandwidth. With AutoPatcher, you can install critical patches offline, eliminating the risk of getting infected while using Windows Update. You can also come in handy when updating a friends PC, if he/she can't access the Internet (or uses a narrowband connection).

Q: Where can I find more information on AutoPatcher?

A:
You can visit the official forum here:
, and the official website here:

Q: Is AutoPatcher legal?

A:
Yes, Antonis Kaladis (our project manager) once spoke to a Microsoft employee and apparently they know about us but don't care what we do! The AutoPatcher project has been going strong since 2003 and never had a sniff of trouble from Microsoft.

Windows Versions

Q: Which versions of Windows are supported?

A:
The main AutoPatcher releases are aimed at English Windows with the latest service pack. However, it will load on any Windows version, showing only the included items (modules) which match the running environment.

Q: Does AutoPatcher include Windows service packs?

A:
No, including the service packs would significantly increase the size of our releases, you must get them separately. However, if you purchase a CD/DVD from the website, the disk should include the latest service pack as long as theres room for it.

Q: Does AutoPatcher work with systems without the latest service pack?

A:
Yes and No! Yes, AutoPatcher will run fine on the system, however because the releases are aimed at the latest service packs, many things included will not be available for installation, and many updates will be missing that would otherwise be installed by the latest service pack. We strongly advise you to install the latest service pack.

Q: Does AutoPatcher work with 64bit or XP-MCE systems?

A:
Yes, as of February 2007 we have 64-bit releases for Windows XP / Server 2003. As of May 2007 we now have an addon pack containing Windows XP MCE 2005 updates, you can add this addon pack to the main AutoPatcher for Windows XP (32-bit) release.

General Usage

Q: Does AutoPatcher install anything without my permission?

A:
Absolutely not! AutoPatcher does nothing secretly. The user has total control over the installation.

Q: I've downloaded AutoPatcher and executed it but the program didn't install anything.

A:
When executing the downloaded file, you've only decompressed it to a folder. To proceed with the installation of the included patches, you must run the AutoPatcher program itself, use the shortcut created on the desktop.

Q: In AutoPatcher's selection screen, I see some items in blue. What does that mean?

A:
AutoPatcher uses different colours as a way to provide the end user with additional information about an item.
Blue
is assigned to items which are detected as already installed.

Q: I want to remove a tweak that I applied with AutoPatcher. How is it done?

A:
In previous versions of AutoPatcher (version 5.1) you have to use the 'tweak undo' tool. With the new AutoPatcher v5.6 you can right click an item in the selection window and choose the uninstall option.

Q: Can i use AutoPatcher from a CD/DVD/Flash drive/external hard drive?

A:
Yes, simply copy the contents of C:\Program Files\AutoPatcher (default location) over.

Q: Can i use AutoPatcher from a network share?

A:
Yes. Note, with a UNC path, either use
someone was working on, or follow rtk's instructions

Releases

Q: What happened to 'Full' and 'Lite' releases?

A:
As of May 2007 we have scrapped full and lite releases in favour of just a 'Core' release and an 'Extras' addon pack.

Q: What's an update release?

A:
Update releases are for updating the previous months release with the latest set of files. It would not be sensible for you to download new Core releases every month when only a small portion would have changed. Instead you should start out with a Core release and from then on, get an Update release every month. Update releases save a huge amount of time and bandwidth for us, our mirrors, and you! Note, they are not designed to be used on their own!

Q: How should i use update releases?

A:
You should have a Core release acting as a 'base' to which you install them on, then every month you should download and install the latest update release on top of it. You should not skip any update releases! If you do, as of May 2007 you will not be able to install any further update releases. You could though delete what you have and start again with a new Core release (which we update every three or four months).

Q: How should i NOT use update releases and why?

A:
Incorrect usage: on its own; without a base release; on a base release but skipping an update release in between.

Q: I have just downloaded a new Core release, is it okay for me to install it over the top of an existing release?

A:
It is always recommended that you remove existing releases when installing a new Core release, unless you are combining AutoPatcher releases for different languages or versions of Windows, e.g. it would be okay to install the Windows 2000 and Windows XP Core releases together.

Q: Can i combine releases of different types (Windows version/language)?

A:
Yes, as long as the release author/translator has ensured the release is AIO compliant, you can simply install them on top of each other and there shouldn't be a problem.

Q: Is there a difference in quality between update releases and core releases? i.e. should i go for new core releases when available?

A:
No, there is no difference in quality whatsoever. In-fact core releases are created directly from combining the contents of the last core release with the latest update releases. There is no need to go for new core releases when they become available, you can just continue adding update releases to the original core release you have.

Mirroring/Hosting

Q: I am mirroring AutoPatcher releases / I want to mirror AutoPatcher releases, what do i do?

A:
Just copy some or all of the files from another mirror and send us your links, email address, and the name you would like to be listed as. Your links can either be direct or can point to your own website (rules apply, see below).

Q: Who do i contact?

A:
You may contact any member of the team via the forum and your details should be passed on to someone who will deal with them. Some of the team:
(aka raptor, the Project Manager),
(aka blaze, x86 Release Manager), and
(aka gandolas, x64 Release Manager).

Q: I want to be a regular mirror, how to i become one?

A:
Just contact us (preferably Lyndon or Renato), say so, and we'll add you to our contact list.

Q: How much bandwidth does mirroring AutoPatcher require?

A:
Quite a lot, some of our regulars transfer between 1 and 6TB every month, and yes thats TeraBytes not GigaBytes!! Its recommended you have a least a 10Mbps upload capacity, and its also highly recommended you use a script to limit the number of concurrent connections per IP.

Q: Would it be helpful if i uploaded AutoPatcher to as many free hosting services as possible and give out the links?

A:
No, not really, we may occasionally use free hosting services for smaller files but AutoPatcher requires a lot of bandwidth and we don't want to wear out free services.

Q: If i use my own website to host my links, am i allowed to include my own ads/donation-links on it?

A:
Yes you are. However, please read the rules below.

Q: What are the rules regarding ads/donation-links on my mirror

A:
As follows (Subject to change at any time!):

Ads & Donation links:

- If you earn more revenue collectively from ads and donation links than you need to cover your expenses mirroring AutoPatcher, please consider donating some to ourselves.

Ads specific:

- No inappropriate ads.

- Abide by the ad providers TOS (terms of service). E.g. no requesting people click the ads.

- Please do not clutter up the page with ads so its hard for users to see the download links.

Donations link specific:

- It must be clear that the user is donating to you and not to us

Q: Are there any other rules i need to know?

A:
Yes, a few (Subject to change at any time!):

- Linking to downloads on other sites (unless they're yours) is generally unacceptable. You may be stopping the other mirror from gaining ad revenue thats rightly theirs, and if you have ads of your own, it could be considered stealing! Especially if you directly link to their downloads and not their download page!

- You must display a visible link back to the AutoPatcher homepage (www.autopatcher.com) or forum (
). By visible i mean: 1) Dont disguise it (e.g. with coloring) so you can hardly tell its a link, and 2) Make sure its obvious (with text) where its pointing too.

- You may use *some* AutoPatcher images on your mirror for as long as you mirror AutoPatcher for us. The images themselves are copyright to Antonis Kaladis, if you want to use them anywhere else you must ask him first for permission. Note that i said *some*, you should ask permission for the image you would like to use, he may not want you to use certain ones.

- Please do not announce the availability of new releases on your mirror anywhere on neowin except in the main release threads and your signatures. its not fair to other mirrors if you make a new thread about it or post a message about it in the news item(s).

Q: Would you like me to provide you with SSH/FTP login details to my server?

A:
No thank you, we don't have the time to upload to them all. Its better if you are in charge of your own mirror so you can control which releases you host, when, and therefore, how much bandwidth you use up. Also, we only need access to one regular mirror so we can upload the releases to it and use it as the primary location from which other mirrors should copy from.

Q: In exchange for mirroring for you, what can you do for me?

A:
Your not happy enough with ad revenue and usually getting the releases before anyone else? Well, if you become a regular mirror we can add you to the thank you list at the bottom of every release thread in the forum. A link to your site can be used if you like.

I'm afraid we cant put images into the release threads, they are pretty full as they are and we cant clutter them up with images.

Once the new website is done, we may possibly be able to offer the same thank you list on the download page. The decision will be up to Antonis. Whether images could be used is gain up to him but the answer will probably be no.

Theres really not much more we can do, at least not at this time.

Blaze,

AutoPatcher Team Member

www.autopatcher.com

New Layout by

raptor

Edited by theblazingangel

^ that one should really belong in the FAQ, which really should be added to a pinned thread itself. its a bit hard to find located in the middle of the release threads...

This is a nice way to show people what they are looking for!!!!! Yes, it belongs in the FAQ. Create a new topic with the name FAQ. If possible, only for reading!!

^ that one should really belong in the FAQ, which really should be added to a pinned thread itself. its a bit hard to find located in the middle of the release threads...

I created an (unofficial) FAQ thread a while ago, maybe you should ressurect it

Nice FAQ Blaze, this is a definite pin post material, pin it in the upper group, and we will contribute as much as we can.

for instance, if you upgrade from November full to December full, you get Powermenu.lnk is missing error.

Nice FAQ Blaze, this is a definite pin post material, pin it in the upper group, and we will contribute as much as we can.

for instance, if you upgrade from November full to December full, you get Powermenu.lnk is missing error.

The missing PowerMenu.lnk is not an item for the FAQ. In this topic it's at the right place ;)

Nice FAQ. Quick question, will it work on Windows Media Center Edition?
does it work on x64 os's

both added

Edited by TheBlazingAngel

Just one quick thing, a grammatical error in "Whats an update release?"

There should be an apostrophe in "What's" and it should be "their" instead of "there" at the end.

Just one quick thing, a grammatical error in "Whats an update release?"

There should be an apostrophe in "What's" and it should be "their" instead of "there" at the end.

okay, fixed :p i guess im getting lazy :D

The missing PowerMenu.lnk is not an item for the FAQ. In this topic it's at the right place ;)

Understood, it's just that I get that error on every full-full update...

It;s not such a big deal :no:

okay, fixed :p i guess im getting lazy :D

Angel, you're getting better and better all the time, soon there can be a help section inside AP thanks to your efforts,... good work, my friend. And big tanks too all the people, who contributed by sharing their thoughts and problems on this forum, well done people :woot: :yes: :cool: :bounce: :hug:

Hi,

AutoPatcher 2000 Dec 2005 Full successfully installs but I have the problem nothing happens when I double click on Desktop icon as quoted below.

Apologies if this has been asked before. I have searched and found this Post and thought I had found the answer but I have tried running 'D:\Program Files\AutoPatcher\tools\AutoPatcher Module Editor.exe' but alas this does not run either.

I am a first time user of AutoPatcher. My system is WIN2000 SP4 with IE6.

Does AutoPatcher need to be installed on the C drive? As I have limited space on C drive (456MB free) and I installed AutoPatcher on the D drive (+3GB free)

6) When i double click the AutoPatcher shortcut nothing happens

Go to: C:\Program Files\AutoPatcher\tools, run 'AutoPatcher Module Editor.exe' and close it - next run autopatcher.

Thanks in advance,

LethalByte

1st AutoPatcher user :)

AutoPatcher 2000 Dec 2005 Full successfully installs but I have the problem nothing happens when I double click on Desktop icon as quoted below.

Apologies if this has been asked before. I have searched and found this Post and thought I had found the answer but I have tried running 'D:\Program Files\AutoPatcher\tools\AutoPatcher Module Editor.exe' but alas this does not run either.

#6 updated, try the other solution ;)

note, i believe its c:\winnt\system32 on windows 2000 !

Thx I just found that fix myself and it did the trick ;)

AutoPatcher is a GREAT application btw!! :D

^ #6 updated, try the other solution ;)

note, i believe its c:\winnt\system32 on windows 2000 !

Just to add another error, I got this one when I ran the December update (installed full November autopatcher release):

MODULE PANIC ON DELETE OLD WIN9X SYTLE WALLPAPERS: PARENT AND/OR PREREQUISITE ITEM MISSING?

If an uninstall is required to update autopatcher, why release the update?

Just to add another error, I got this one when I ran the December update (installed full November autopatcher release):

MODULE PANIC ON DELETE OLD WIN9X SYTLE WALLPAPERS: PARENT AND/OR PREREQUISITE ITEM MISSING?

If an uninstall is required to update autopatcher, why release the update?

i think that might have been my fault. i only included stuff in the update release that had changed. i dont think i took the lite edition into account, so there may be bits of modules in the update release when applied to the lite release that cause problems...

^ i think that might have been my fault. i only included stuff in the update release that had changed. i dont think i took the lite edition into account, so there may be bits of modules in the update release when applied to the lite release that cause problems...

Nope, I installed the full November 2005 version previously ...

Nope, I installed the full November 2005 version previously ...

hmm...

ok, find the del9xwalls module, open it with the module editor and tell me what i says in the parent id field (should be wall_options_enu). also tell me what the parent wallpaper options module is called (should be wall_options_enu.amc)

hi , fanstastic work ! Great !

Some questions:

1- how do we know the hot patches (etc) are not infected with some kind of virus.?

Are you somehow controlling the servers or are they all coming directly from MS servers?

2- I would like to migrate the updates to another

hi , fanstastic work ! Great !

Some questions:

1- how do we know the hot patches (etc) are not infected with some kind of virus.?

Are you somehow controlling the servers or are they all coming directly from MS servers?

2- I would like to migrate the updates to another

Thanks. ;)

1st - You can check the digital signature of every Microsoft file. As for the rest, is a question of trusting us. If you don't, do a scan to the file. We build each package in fully updated systems, and also with the anti-virus updated.

The files are kindly hosted by some users, since we can't host them.

2nd - You didn't complete the sentence...

Thanks. ;)

1st - You can check the digital signature of every Microsoft file. As for the rest, is a question of trusting us. If you don't, do a scan to the file. We build each package in fully updated systems, and also with the anti-virus updated.

The files are kindly hosted by some users, since we can't host them.

2nd - You didn't complete the sentence...

thanks,

ok trust , no problem. ( the files are not directly from MS.com , perfect actually as MS has them in disarray )

Scan yes , scan everything with AVG + current sigs. [ the story of my life]

but how can I make the autopatcher , hold the DL , before it , applies them?

Q2:2- computer, I see the folders being loaded by Autopatcher,

and I know how to copy folders. but is there and export tool? it would be nice to export the patches to a

zip . dot7zip or custom Autopatcher file.

then we can send it to another box and import it.

Just some ideas and questions not in the RTFM.

good luck and thanks, I plan on supporting with a donation, this is so good.

FFT:

You guys might want to talk to nlite and work together and make a way to load these automatially during a

XP unattened install disk. I loaded the top 29 critical updates with my nlite version yesterday.

but having a dynamic loader that loads the current set from BTorrent would be sex on wheels.

ok thanks for all your help again.

jtgh (jerry the gear head)

having a dynamic loader that loads the current set from BTorrent would be sex on wheels.
AutoPatcher doesn't dynamically download the files, it's included in the package (that's whi it's so big!) Edited by TheBlazingAngel