Microsoft Withdraws Private Folder App

Following a barrage of criticism from security experts and IT administrators, Microsoft has withdrawn its new Private Folder application. The program was introduced last week as a free download for those who verify their operating system as genuine through Microsoft's Windows Genuine Advantage Program.

Private Folder was designed to hide data from the hard drive in addition to protecting it with a password. However, the application quickly drew concern from administrators who feared users would lose their password and not be able to unlock their files. In addition, parents voiced worry that kids could use Private Folder to hide content they download.

Source

Answer to the two points mentioned:

a: allow admins to override it - for obvious reasons

b: if you dont trust your kids - give them a limited account. Then they wont be able to install it - end of.

No offence, but when are people gunna stop moaning about Microsoft? There are programs available which can be used to the same thing, and no-one's had a go at them.

Oh, it's Microsoft, so it MUST be bad...

Glad I got it in time! :p

What a stupid decision this is. Any computer administrator worth his salt could block this program in minutes, and if parents were so concerned about their children hiding things away on the computer, how come they dont already know about the mountain of freeware apps that have pretty much always been available, that actually go further than this program does?

Idiots have taken over the world....... *runs*

:(

I didnt even use it but too bad they pulled it. I simply use NTFS security folder settings. :p

Set myself to allow all, everyone else is a deny. :)

There private. :)

b: if you dont trust your kids - give them a limited account. Then they wont be able to install it - end of.

No offence, but when are people gunna stop moaning about Microsoft? There are programs available which can be used to the same thing, and no-one's had a go at them.

You said it, but its Microsoft :rolleyes:

As I've said before, I'm sure if Apple released the exact same app, people would be praising it for the "advancements in encryption technology" it brings to the consumer. But, of course, since it's Microsoft, it's automatically Satan in an executable file.

I couldn't agree any more with your post.

The points mentioned in the thread post about children and not being able to unlock, ffs, hundreds of freeware apps have those same problems and do the same things - why shouldn't we all attack those?

What the hell is wrong with people?

It was a good app, and not the only one of its type.

As almost everyone above says, since its Microsoft, it must go down.

As I've said before, I'm sure if Apple released the exact same app, people would be praising it for the "advancements in encryption technology" it brings to the consumer. But, of course, since it's Microsoft, it's automatically Satan in an executable file.

:yes:

I saved the download on my computer, and have it installed, nice app, I love it, I'm gonna put all the bad stuff I don't want my wife seeing in it! :)

Technically, it is an MSI, which is even more evil.

If you really want to keep your files private i strongly suggest NOT using this application.

Why? Because you can simply boot into safe-mode and have full access to the files without needing a password :)

So much for a secure private folder application... Thanks Microsoft :p

If you really want to keep your files private i strongly suggest NOT using this application.

Why? Because you can simply boot into safe-mode and have full access to the files without needing a password :)

So much for a secure private folder application... Thanks Microsoft :p

You don't have to worry anymore, there won't be v1.1