Firefox 2.0 Beta 2 Will Launch Thursday (tomorrow)

Barring more bugs, Firefox Beta 2 will release Thursday, Mozilla Corp. developers reported after a weekly status meeting held Tuesday.

"[We are] on target to release Thursday, Aug. 31st assuming no stop-ship items [are] discovered," the meeting's online minutes read.

Beta 2 has been delayed several times to give developers more time to quash bugs in the browser.

Mozilla also said that users running earlier previews of Firefox 2.0 -- including any of the three alpha editions as well as Beta 1 -- will be automatically updated to Beta 2, using the software's built-in update mechanism. Previously, users had to download the full installation package to refresh their browsers.

Microsoft, meanwhile, released the next version of its Internet Explorer 7 browser -- Release Candidate 1 (RC1) -- last week. Both Microsoft and Mozilla have said that their applications will release in final form before the end of the year.

Source

which leaves lil to be impressed about when it comes to firefox "2"..

There's still a lot of bug fixes and such. It's just there won't be as many amazing changes as originally planned.

which leaves lil to be impressed about when it comes to firefox "2"..

There's still going to be quite a few new features and overall improvements with 2.0, though.

Firefox is so sluggish and slow to start and your computer starts to slow down once you have more than 5-6 tabs open. I would want them to fix the MEMORY ISSUES FIRST and making Firefox faster to boot and operate before adding new features.

Firefox is so sluggish and slow to start and your computer starts to slow down once you have more than 5-6 tabs open. I would want them to fix the MEMORY ISSUES FIRST and making Firefox faster to boot and operate before adding new features.

1. Starts quick for me. 3.4 GHz with HyperThreading (1MB L2 Cache)

2. My computer doesn't slow down at ALL??

3. I usually have like 3-4 tabs and I can feel the sluggishness a little bit, but not much.

Well Firefox was slow on OS X till FF 2.0 Beta 1. But with the new interface and the Beta 2 RC Builds, it has become a LOT faster. I'm using FF as my default browser ATM.

firefox isn't slow on my computer... maybe your running a hunk of junk? lol. i'm on a 2.3ghz dual core amd with a gig of ram and its fine.

Well, when I had FF installed it was pitifully slow, at times even slower than IE! And my computer is no slouch either 2.7Ghz Dual-Core, 1GB RAM, etc. etc. Plus that memory leak is still ther despite it being a major PITA for most if not everyone.

Why is it Mozilla drops a bunch of features, "oh its ok, I understand." but microsoft drops features, OMG MICROSOFT SUXX0RZ! This site is so biased its pitiful.

Because it will get added eventually?

Check your extensions.

http://dbaron.org/log/2006-01

Why is it Mozilla drops a bunch of features, "oh its ok, I understand." but microsoft drops features, OMG MICROSOFT SUXX0RZ! This site is so biased its pitiful.

Noticed the "win" in neowin.net? :whistle:

I think the main reason is that Microsoft has delayed its OS several times, and dropped many major features. Firefox, on the other hand, is just a web browser that was delayed for about a month at most, with Places being the only major dropped feature, which eventually will make it into 3.0.

I agree partially, there are times when it can be a huge memory hog but usually it's when I have 20+ tabs open, usually while browsing a gallery or something. That said closing the tabs should release the memory which really doesnt happen. There are problems but they arent that bad and it certainly starts up finf for me.

downloading now..

Will I notice anything really different between my current version of 1.5.0.6 and this new 2.0 Beta 2?

downloading now..

Will I notice anything really different between my current version of 1.5.0.6 and this new 2.0 Beta 2?

yes that what it is as far as i can tell :)