Speeding is safer

One of the very few times that I think "Well, what's the hurry? I might as well drive calmly like everybody else" I get into a crash.

Someone ran me off the road and now my 525i has over $3,000 worth of suspension damage.

I usually drive faster than traffic. A lot faster. When everyone else is going 50km/h, I'm going 85km/h weaving in and out of traffic. If they're going 80km/h, I'm doing 140km/h. I have never even been close to getting into a car accident when I'm driving like this.

The three car accidents that I've been in have been during those very rare times when I slow down and drive at the same speed as everybody else.

This is not coincidence anymore. I can now conclude that I'm putting myself and my car at risk by not speeding and by letting the idiots catch up to me.

One of the very few times that I think "Well, what's the hurry? I might as well drive calmly like everybody else" I get into a crash.

Someone ran me off the road and now my 525i has over $3,000 worth of suspension damage.

I usually drive faster than traffic. A lot faster. When everyone else is going 50km/h, I'm going 85km/h weaving in and out of traffic. If they're going 80km/h, I'm doing 140km/h. I have never even been close to getting into a car accident when I'm driving like this.

The three car accidents that I've been in have been during those times when I slow down and drive at the same speed as everybody else.

This is not coincidence anymore. I can now conclude that I'm putting myself and my car at risk by not speeding and by letting the idiots catch up to me.

I agree. When I go with the flow of traffic my eyes tend to wonder. WHen I'm going a bit over the speed limit I'm much more aware and focus. All of my 3 wrecks were going under 15 mph.

Yeah, sure, if that's the excuse you want for speeding, good luck with it. When the cop asks you whats the hurry and you answer with a "I'm keeping myself and my car safe", let me know how many pieces he rips the ticket into.

The three car accidents that I've been in have been during those very rare times when I slow down and drive at the same speed as everybody else.

If it's anything I have learned from looking at Traffic Homicide Investigation photos, Vista2/FX traffic accident drawings, and 3d re-enactsments. Speed is usually the main contributer in the death of someone in an accident... And it's not you that you need to worry about, it's the guy who is drunk, running the red-light, and t-boning you in the middle of an intersection. If you get t-boned by someone doing ~35mph through a light, and your doing ~35mph, you will most likely do a 180 on your wheels, if your doing ~50mph+ your more likely to do a complete rollover.

Yeah, sure, if that's the excuse you want for speeding, good luck with it. When the cop asks you whats the hurry and you answer with a "I'm keeping myself and my car safe", let me know how many pieces he rips the ticket into.

That's not a problem. Speeding tickets are $26 regardless of the speed. That's if they are determined enough to catch me, usually they just back off and figure it's not worth it.

That's not a problem. Speeding tickets are $26 regardless of the speed. That's if they are determined enough to catch me, usually they just back off and figure it's not worth it.

We are about to be pushed in flamed lava my friend. AHHh it burns.

Is there a question in any of this?

No, but there is a point.

From my experiences I can tell you that driving with the flow of traffic isn't any safer than speeding.

There are too many variables at work to come to this conclusion. Time of day, mental alertness, width of road, density of traffic, weather conditions, all come to mind.

It's no excuse for speeding, but I agree...

Whenever I'm driving slow (within limits) I tend to look in the sidewalk for people I know, look at ads in the buildings, "play" with my girlfriend (when she is in the car with me) etc because it just seems the driving is "too controlled" because it's so slow, and you will never hit anything.

But... when I'm driving a bit faster than speed limit, +/- 20 km/h more, I usually pay full atention to the road and cars on the road.

When your dead don't expect any sympathy from me. The fact that you have convinced yourself that driving faster is safer is frankly, idiotic.

If you have no crashes at 140km/h then surely it would be safer to drive twice that speed and get home twice as quick, and twice as safe.

Personally, I believe that there should be a clear distinction between speeding and driving dangerously; they are not equivalent.

+1

Personally, I believe that there should be a clear distinction between speeding and driving dangerously; they are not equivalent.

Exactly. If conditions allow, I see nothing wrong with high speeds. Sometimes it's not prudent to drive at 40km/h, while other times it's safe to drive at a constant 200km/h. It depends on a lot of things.

quote from

Huezo

"I can now conclude that I'm putting myself and my car at risk by not speeding and by letting the idiots catch up to me"

Heres a new idea for ya! how about you let the "idiots" pass you insted or speeding up.

quote from

Huezo

"I can now conclude that I'm putting myself and my car at risk by not speeding and by letting the idiots catch up to me"

Heres a new idea for ya! how about you let the "idiots" pass you insted or speeding up.

::punts::

So you're the cause of all those accidents.

Honestly, it's stupid and dangerous to think like that, eventually your stupid and dangerous driving will hurt somebody.

If you tend to stop paying attention regardless of the speed you are a bad driver. A good driver is every bit aware of his surroudings be it 10 mph or 100 mph. Speed limits are there for a reason. Going faster might make you think you are safer, but really while you might thikn you are not in danger, you have become a hazard to everyone else on the road. Stop being so damn selfish and think of yourself, and the saftey of others.

From all that you have posted and said I truely believe that the first thing you need to do tommorow is throw away your keys and destroy your licence, because with you attituide you dont deserve to drive an automobile of any sort.

People talking on their cell phones while they drive are the ones who truly have no regard for others' safety.

Of course speed limits are there for a reason. They generate revenue.

just because you in practice don't have accidents when speeding doesn't make you invincible to accidents at higher speeds. you ran off the road going at a slower speed and while you're car was damaged, i take it you didn't roll the car 20 times. somewhere i once saw a guide that showed survival rate in car crashes as the speed of the crashing car increased. obviously the faster you go the less likely you are to survive a crash.

wow huezo, you make it sound as if your car is more important than your life.... slower drivers dont cause accidents, YOU do... if you cant pay attention going slower, then why do you drive at all? ive never been a fast driver, and ive NEVER had an accident in the 5-6 years that ive been driving. so when you say speed is safer, stfu, its not.. the faster you go, the less control you have over your vehicle if something were to happen, if you have to slam on the brakes for some reason going at 200km an hour you're more likely to lose control than someone going the speed limit.

and dont say No im not.. Yes You are

+1

Its all about skill and experience. The average driver cant control the car at high speeds. Some of us can though.

Speed dosent kill. Bad drivers do.

Roughly half of the 7,000-mile German Autobahn system has no speed limit. It is perfectly legal, for example, to pass a police car at 130mph as long as you signal and use the left lane. In fact, says Mark Rask, author of American Autobahn (Vanguard, 1999), the average speed for cars is 80mph; at any given moment, 15% are traveling 96mph or faster. Yet, surprisingly, the Autobahn is safer than U.S. highways. In 2001 the death rate was 6 per billion passenger-vehicle miles, versus 8 for U.S. interstates. (The number of passengers per vehicle is not appreciably different.

http://members.forbes.com/forbes/2003/0915/224.html