Choppy / glitchy audio in Vista

When ever I play music or videos the audio sort of gets studders or skips for just a split second every 10 seconds or sometimes sooner, its really quite annoying and below are the things i've tried to correct the issue

1) Updated all my drivers for chipset, graphics cards, nics sound card, SATA drivers

2) Tried multiple sound cards, 3 infact, 1 was a Soundblaster Live 5.1, the other was a Soundblaster Audigy SE and the other one was some 5.1 sound card can't really remember the name.

3) Tried that fix where you go into the processor power managment but my x2 4600 doesn't have that

4) i've tried differnet media players all the with same results

5) Tried going in and turning off some of the enhanced features for the sound card, but mine doesn't give me that option

6) Checked the device manager to see any spikes in CPU ussage durring the studder, and there are none.

my current setup is this

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 Processor

MSI K9NBPM2-FID AM2 NVIDIA Quadro NVS 210S motherboard

BFG Tech BFGR7950512GTOCE GeForce 7950GT 512MB 256-bit graphics card

Kingston HyperX 2GB (4 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Windows Vista Busness

Just wondering if anyone else has had these problems or knows of a solution, hopefully this gets fixed in sp1 or a monthly update, because after searching the web, its pretty common.

Thanx

Adam

Edited by warwagon

last night I also tried deleting the ata / sata driver and having it reinstalled. It did help my computer sleep u quite a bit, but did nothing to fix my audio issue.

Yes... same exact issue here when just playing MP3's right off the HDD. It's been driving me nuts.

Thats really the only issue I have with vista, I was going to buy a USB microphone to do some recording, but if it continues to do that, I dunno.

• 2 weeks later...

do you have an onboard soundcard or an older dedicated soundcard?i think vista's audio problems are being partialy caused by antique audio hardware but then again vista is no different than xp was when it first came out.

do you have an onboard soundcard or an older dedicated soundcard?i think vista's audio problems are being partialy caused by antique audio hardware but then again vista is no different than xp was when it first came out.

Well I do have onboard sound which I haven't tired, but the newest card out of 3 I did try that had vista drives was the Audigy SE, and that still did it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was getting this in Unreal Tournament, but you can increase the sound latency in the game's .ini file to get rid of it.

I found that by doing the following I can set the latency back to normal and get clear sound.

Right-click system tray volume icon

Select Playback Devices

Click Properties (of your speakers)

Click Advanced tab and untick "Give exclusive mode applications priority"

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bump such and old thread (Well its not that old) .

while SP1 improved my audio playback to about 95% ok

I'm having issues recording audio. While I record audio with my mic every few mins the slider will studder and you'll see one of these ____ which is just nothingness in the middle of my recording. Really annoying.

I had this issue, but it has ceased, newer drivesrs helped with my X-FI card.

With my AMD machine I alos had to disable cool n quiet.

You've tried that, so other than that you cannot do much. You can try chaning PCI slots ...etc, or checking drivers to network cards (that caused stuttering in audio playback for me). Network Drivers and Video Drivers can tie up the cpu causing a gap.

Either drivers of a physical hardware error.

It's because Audio support in Vista sucks..

Oh yeah. I agree. I thought I was going mad, my UT3 would have sound issues. I tried the latest drivers from Creative, updated Chipset drivers. Even disabled my AV program since I thought it might be interfering... Didn't help... What did help is Windows XP SP2. :| No sound problems now.

I have these problems when running Sandboxie - sound will be glitchy at occasional points in all players, both inside and outside the sandbox. The glitches disappear when I kill off the SbieSvc.exe and return when it is re-enabled.

One thing that may be helpful to you guys is that sound output through ASIO is absolutely glitchless and flawless in all situations - I have since switched from WMP to Foobar to make use of its ASIO output.

I have these problems when running Sandboxie - sound will be glitchy at occasional points in all players, both inside and outside the sandbox. The glitches disappear when I kill off the SbieSvc.exe and return when it is re-enabled.

One thing that may be helpful to you guys is that sound output through ASIO is absolutely glitchless and flawless in all situations - I have since switched from WMP to Foobar to make use of its ASIO output.

'

Thank you for the info. I also use sandboxie. I"m leaving right now but i'll check it when I return.

I had audio problems when I was using Vista RC2 and above. Audio played through anything (WMP, VLC, even through Internet Explorer on websites like YouTube, etc.) would get choppy at random times. After checking my audio drivers it turned out to be the "NVIDIA Corporation - media - NVIDIA® nForce Audio Codec Interface" driver through Windows Update. I found another set of drivers for my board (the AC'97 Realtek Audio Codec) and the problem hasn't happened since.

I know this is possibly not the issue at hand but worth mentioning. I got VERY choppy audio the first time I used my mates Vista laptop. Reason being that it was set to max power saving. Putting it to a decent power mode sorted it right out!

I know this is possibly not the issue at hand but worth mentioning. I got VERY choppy audio the first time I used my mates Vista laptop. Reason being that it was set to max power saving. Putting it to a decent power mode sorted it right out!

yep i've read a lot about that too. So all my power settings are set to no power settings. Meaning just stay on.

I have a decent setting for "everyday use". A conservative setting for "battery use" and an always-on, everything on full power for "DJ use".

A mistake I will not be repeating. I had never used Vista before, it went choppy in the middle of a set and I couldn't suss it out till my mate (owner of laptop) arrived. I quickly swapped laptops while reverting to CD, and announced a ?5,000 prize to anyone who could deliver me the head of Bill Gates. I'm not one for slagging off an OS or Bill Gates, I am a Microsoft fanboy - but it went down well and covered a potentially embarassing situation!

Well I tried disabling the sandboxie service so that SbieSvc.exe disappears. Problem was till there. :(