Ok, what's so great about HDTV?

People always try to talk me into getting an HDTV but for some reason, I'm not that impressed about it to spend $600+ on getting one. I just don't see the logic and why people are so crazy about it. Ok, so you get a sharper picture. You see more detail such as seeing the freckles and pores on a person's face. But I don't understand. I don't watch TV to see the freckles or pores on a person's face. So, tell me. What is it about HDTV that's so impressive?

People always try to talk me into getting an HDTV but for some reason, I'm not that impressed about it to spend $600+ on getting one. I just don't see the logic and why people are so crazy about it. Ok, so you get a sharper picture. You see more detail such as seeing the freckles and pores on a person's face. But I don't understand. I don't watch TV to see the freckles or pores on a person's face. So, tell me. What is it about HDTV that's so impressive?

innovators.gif

you fall into the laggard category.

hdtv actually hurts my eyes...but that is all i have now. for gaming, it makes a world of different. I couldn't imagine being able to depict enemies from very far in COD4 on a sdtv.

You just said it...it's the sharpness. To me, I just think it makes the whole thing more immersive.

But that's the thing I don't get. Sharpness lets you see the freckles and pores on a person's face more clearly. But like I said, I don't turn on my TV to watch the freckles and pores on a person's face. For some reason, I think people today jump and get excited over the silliest things. HDTV is just a way for companies to take our cash away from us. They just make you think you need that extra sharpness while you really don't. I could see the picture just fine on my good ol' SDTV.

If you watch a nature special on PBS then it really increases the realism and the feeling that you are right there with the cameraman. It is also particularly good sporting events for the same immersive reason.

There is probably less of a point to sitcoms and prime-time dramas but I suppose if your favourite show is available in HD then it makes the entertainment just a little bit better.

I'd also be slightly more tempted to watch local news in HD over a non-HD competitor. Yes, you don't need to see the pores on the anchor's face but it does enhance the experience somewhat.

The reason to go ga-ga over HDTV though is for sports and nature programs.

It's the quality. Seeing peoples pores and other detailed features is just part of it.

Movies for example. HDTV helps the special effects blend in better with the live footage, and plus it looks really, really amazing.

It's not a good movie but Spiderman 3 for example. I had to stand in front of this on a brand new Series 4 Samsung HDTV in 1080p. It looked superb. I just wanted to look at it.. Not watch it as such.

But thats all insignificant when you put this next thing into account: Gaming.

If you have an Xbox 360 or a PlayStation 3, you should be playing in HD. No excuses. The games support standard definition but they sure as hell aren't designed for it. The interfaces for example, are way too small unless you play in High Definition.

sharpness, colors, less pixelation, just straight up greater quality

for programs like Planet Earth, seeing it in BlueRay quality is AMAZING and soo much better than sdtv. it also better for gaming :D

Jeeez what is this?

HD is part of evolution.

Why go from vinyl to cassette? Cassette to CD? CD to MP3?

Or why go from small TVs like 15" to 50"?

Why go from 2MP cameras to 10MP cameras?

Technology advances, and one way in which a TV can advance is by offering better picture quality.

Stay in the past if you want, none of us who own an HDTV care, and you shouldn't care if we own an HDTV.

Watching low-res on a big screen is just meh, when you can watch it in HD.

My monitor has a native res of 1280x1024, I don't run it in 800x600 for giggles as it looks worse. Same with my HDTV, if I can watch in HD (native res), I will.

But that's the thing I don't get. Sharpness lets you see the freckles and pores on a person's face more clearly. But like I said, I don't turn on my TV to watch the freckles and pores on a person's face. For some reason, I think people today jump and get excited over the silliest things. HDTV is just a way for companies to take our cash away from us. They just make you think you need that extra sharpness while you really don't. I could see the picture just fine on my good ol' SDTV.

What?

No one is taking anyones cash. You buy into technology if you want to, if you don't fine, but there's no need to go around erecting banners to tell us you don't want to invest.

What?

No one is taking anyones cash. You buy into technology if you want to, if you don't fine, but there's no need to go around erecting banners to tell us you don't want to invest.

Yeah, but they make you think you need that added sharpness when you really don't. I don't know. To me, HDTVs just seem like another debt to put myself into. I mean, oh wow!! A sharper picture. Like I have such a difficult time seeing on my SDTV. Well, I can see just fine, thank you. They make you feel you need this clearer picture so you run and buy it. Look how many suckers already have!

Yeah, but they make you think you need that added sharpness when you really don't. I don't know. To me, HDTVs just seem like another debt to put myself into. I mean, oh wow!! A sharper picture. Like I have such a difficult time seeing on my SDTV. Well, I can see just fine, thank you. They make you feel you need this clearer picture so you run and buy it. Look how many suckers already have!

I hope you're high or something.

Of course they advertise HD as better/sharper, IT IS. I'll be damned if the major advantage to HD isn't going to be advertised.

It's up to you whether that improvement matters, if it doesn't, fine don't upgrade, but to other people it's a nice picture quality boost.

It's up to you whether that improvement matters, if it doesn't, fine don't upgrade, but to other people it's a nice picture quality boost.

Is it? Is it really up to me? Cuz last I heard the government is making HDTVs mandatory in Feb 2009.

Is it? Is it really up to me? Cuz last I heard the government is making HDTVs mandatory in Feb 2009.

Digital is mandatory, HDTVs are not.

You can buy a digital to analog convertor (most TV boxes do this - like a freeview box) for all your old SDTVs.

You can buy a digital to analog convertor (most TV boxes do this - like a freeview box) for all your old SDTVs.

I use cable, not OTA. But the problem is, once OTA becomes all HD, cable companies might do the same.

you don't even have to buy them, you can get the converters for free from the government with a coupon

I use cable, not OTA. But the problem is, once OTA becomes all HD, cable companies might do the same.
cable companies can't make it mandatory for you to have a nHDTV in order to watch their service that you've already payed for. stop being paranoid

once OTA becomes all HD, cable companies might do the same.

GOOD!

If you think thats a "problem" your blind or crazy.

I'm not blind or crazy. I'm poor and not very enthusiastic about HDTV.

Then don't... get one?

I'm confused on this thread. HD sets aren't and probably wont be mandatory for a very, very long time.

i never understood why the government wants to switch to digital, i have nothing wrong with it...but i was wondering if there is a reason for it? is it something to do with the environment and air waves and such?

i never understood why the government wants to switch to digital, i have nothing wrong with it...but i was wondering if there is a reason for it? is it something to do with the environment and air waves and such?

Because they want everyone to own an HDTV. If HDTVs are so great, I really don't understand why they have to force us to get one. It's my life and I can get whatever the hell I want.

It's all about Control .... shhhh :shiftyninja:

HDTV has greater hypnotic power over the Masses.

Oh good grief. The amount of incorrect information is enough to make me cry.

1. The transition to digital in 2009 has nothing to do with HD. Every channel is not going HD, just digital.

2. The government is doing this in order to free up room in the spectrum for emergency communications, I believe.

Oh good grief. The amount of incorrect information is enough to make me cry.

1. The transition to digital in 2009 has nothing to do with HD. Every channel is not going HD, just digital.

2. The government is doing this in order to free up room in the spectrum for emergency communications, I believe.

thank you, i finally got an answer lol. :)

if you dont have money to buy dont buy one? did u just post this to make urself feel better or something? there are bigger problems than the government wanting to switch to digital, which i dont know why your relating to making everyone switch to HDTV's....