Equivilent PC Specs of PlayStation 2

What would the minimum specifications for a PC need to be, to compete with the (excellent) performance of the PlayStation 2... which runs at 60 fps with tons of addon stuff like bump mapping, lens flare etc. ? Thanx...

You can't compare... the games vary and rely on different strengths... some might need graphics, some CPU power...

The original Playstation had games that only needed a 486 to run (GTA) but apparently still had slow down on the PS version... and games like Wipeout didn't have much higher specs. But bascially most PC's are more powerfull. That is why when a PS or PS2 game is converted onto the PC it usally flops and people complain about the graphics being crap.

The only comparable console is the X-Box because it is built on PC technology and is based on DirectX [which is also on PC].

Basically a 500, 128RAM and TNT2 is much more powerfull [i'd guess] than a PS2. Saying that though, the games are optimised for PS2 so for a convertion you might need a vastly higher or lower spec.

-mortensenj

> > Basically a 500, 128RAM and TNT2 is much more powerfull [i'd guess] than a PS2

What?! With my Pentium III 450 Mhz, 128 Mb RAM PC100, and GeForce II MX... I get 60 fps in UT @ 800x600x16. Remember, UT looks crapper than most PlayStation 2 games because of the amount of polygons etc. I expected a reply with the words 1.2 GHz at least!

Are you saying a Pentium III 500 MHz can pump out 15,000 polygons per characters like the PS2 can @ 60 fps with loads of special effect. HA. I don't think so...

What resolution is a TV? The answer is 320x244.

The advantage the PS2 has is that it's a console and so all PS2 specs are the same. With a PC is first has to be backward comatible with technology from 1984, there are SO many different variations it can't be optimised well.

The PS2 is crap. If you want to insist the the PS2 is the equivelant of a 1.2gig PC then you go on right ahead, but you are bull-###### yourself.

The X-Box has a 733 CPU and the PS2 is VASTLY inferior to that. The Gamecube uses a 400 CPU and that is FAR superior to a PS2. Though the 400 CPU isn't direectly comparable with a PC CPU.

The X-Box is the best way to compare consoles to PC's. It uses PC technology... CPU, graphics, etc. And the X-Box has a 733 CPU. Now, being a console it will be possible to optimise it because of set hardware meaning that you will need a more powerful CPU to match the performance of the X-Box. This is all due to specific optimisations.

PS - I would like to point out that you seem to be a PS2 fanatic. I made a well educated guess and then YOU make a stupid esitmate that the PS2 is better than the X-Box. I cannot make a better guess without knowing exact specs AND having benchmarks between IDENTICAL apps running on both a PC and a PS2.

-mortensenj

Originally posted by mortensen  

What resolution is a TV? The answer is 320x244.

Shouldn't that be 833x625?(for pal anyway, divided into two 312.5 line rasters)

I don't the exact specs of a TV. All I know is that all movies tend to be ripped in that resolution and that an old console I have runs in that resolution (it's a Sega Saturn - Don't laugh too much!).

Saying that though consoles tend to run in a higher resolution than that because they all have a cable accessory that allows you to plug a PC monitor into the console.

-mortensenj

Originally posted by mortensen  

I don't the exact specs of a TV. All I know is that all movies tend to be ripped in that resolution and that an old console I have runs in that resolution (it's a Sega Saturn - Don't laugh too much!).

Saying that though consoles tend to run in a higher resolution than that because they all have a cable accessory that allows you to plug a PC monitor into the console.

-mortensenj

I'm not laughing, you know I like old consoles (emulation) :)

You're right these older consoles have a lower resolution. I don't know the resolution of the PS2.

The Saturn was pretty bad - It only had a few good games.

I have seen emulators for the Saturn but none of them work. I would LOVE to get a working Saturn emulator. The best Saturn games I've got:

Shining Force 3 [like FF7 - it's AMAZING... one of the last released games - it cost ?40 new!!!]

Virtua Fighter 2

Fighters Megamix

Virtua Cop 2 [got this for 50p at Dixons]

The Saturn is an awful console but Shining Force 3 is one of the best games I've EVER played. If NE1 can link me to a working Saturn emulator I would LOVE it [like the N64 and PS emulator that can run the games at higher resolutions with 3D hardware - it's fun on the Saturn but I'd love to play it on PC].

-mortensenj

Reply to Mortensen's second post:

Me, a PlayStation 2 fanatic? Hell no! I hate the little bastards! My brother has one. He also has the latest games for it, which has tons of special effects, cool textures, thousands of polygons, and brilliant textures, all at 60 fps!

I have a Pentium III 450 MHz, 128 MB RAM, and a 32 Mb GeForce II MX. In Unreal Tournament, I get 55 fps @ 800x600x16 (medium detail; medium skin detail). This ****es me off, considering that UT doesn't have too many polygons around the levels (only 500 in each character), medium quality, and no special effects (e.g. like bump mapping).

Thing is, you said that the PlayStation 2 must run at a very low resolution because of the TV. (e.g. 320x244). Well, if I ran UT at 512x384... the amount of jaggies are daft. That suggests to me, that the PlayStations 2 games run at around 800x600x24 or higher.

TV works in a different way to PC monitors. They just don't appear "jaggie" like PC screens.

Anyway, I run UT at 60fps [never really checked, but I think it's around this], everything on [high detail models, world, sound, 32bit colour, 800x600] and it runs perfectly. I'm running 700 / 256RAM / TNT2 so my computer isn't anything special. I can run in 1024x768 with very similar speed, but I prefer to run all games in 800x600 for ULTRA smoothness.

NEway... the only console we've got in the house is the GBA . The X-Box looks good. I'm lost... I give up. Pffffff.

-mortensenj

To everyone whose replied so far:

What console are you going to buy, and why? Choose:

* Sony PlayStation 2

* Microsoft Xbox

* Nintendo GameCube

Personally, I don't know. The Xbox, in my opinion, has more power. But, the launch games are going to suck compared to the Playstation 2 games, and the GameCube games. (e.g. Xbox's lineup are going to be mainly sports games, and I hate sports games). The GameCube is gonna have some amazing games (e.g. Luigi's Mansion and Super Smash Bros. Melee to name a few.), and the PlayStation 2 will have more support and fans. So, looks like I'm going for GameCube!

Munch's Odysee and Halo are just 2 AMAZING games coming out for the X-Box. And the sports games, though I don't really like them, are looking stunning.

The Gamecube looks very poor - It has VERY nice graphics but Luigi's Mansion looks to have CRAP gameplay [sucking up ghosts - give me a break], and Nintendo hardly has a good record for 3rd party games.

The X-Box is my choice, but I'm broke so I'll just stick to upgrading my PC.

-mortensenj

Reply to Mortensen:

You're broke? Then why are you upgrading your PC? That costs a fortune! RAM is the only cheap component at the moment! Well, that's in the UK. I don't know where you live...

Originally posted by King Mustard  

To everyone whose replied so far:

What console are you going to buy, and why? Choose:

* Sony PlayStation 2

* Microsoft Xbox

* Nintendo GameCube

All of them ;) PS2 down 2 more to go ;)

Originally posted by fishie  

gamecube because of thier nintendo exclusive games such as metroid, mario, zelda, and all games that rare made and are in the process of making.

aim:metroid

That's the reason I lean towards the Gamecube. I see a lot of games on the xbox that will also come out on the pc so why bother.

I talked to several games developers that worked on the Gamecube as well as the Xbox and they are amazed what the GC can do.

But as we all agree it comes down to the games

Hey - Sega was originally going to release Shining Force 3 in THREE parts. I got the first part but the later part was cancelled. This really ****es me off as when I completed it it started to continue the story and I really want to play the rest.

NE1 know if Sega has NE plans to re-release Shining Force 3, continue it on on another console, or release a SEQUEL? I haven't heard anything about it. I played this after I played Final Fantasy and it is amazing. The story is brilliant, the battles are fun and the graphics are great.

ARGH - This is the best game I've played. The only other game that even comes CLOSE is "Shadow Of The Comet". I got it AGES ago - It's an old DOS game based on the "Call Of Cthullu" series of books. It was a brilliant game... the tension and everything was perfect.

ARGH, enough with all my memories. The oldest games I remember are Lemmings and Doom... and they're not too long ago.

PS - NE1else remember a game [called Gorrillas I think] where you had to hit each other with bananas and calculate for the wind [it came out BEFORE the world wide smash hit Worms]. That was great.

-mortensenj

Gorillas, what a fantastic game! Me and my brother just kept bashing huge holes through the buildings :) Also, do you remember Nibbles? Sorta like Snake. Classic :)

I gotta get me an X-box (girlfriend is buying it hehe.. gotta love her) So i'm saying though.. the reason PS2 looks so good on TV is cuz of tv's reso so the framerates are higher. a PIII 500mhz alone is capable of handling that much polygons but it's just the bandwidth that we have to deal with on today motherboards so that's the reason. The PS2 uses RDRAM too which we all know is much faster than DDR RAM and not to mention SDRAM and the v-card uses that RDRAM as it's memory so tons of bandwidth there....

Get @ Me

One

SHoTTa35

Lets just remember peeps, that a TV automatically applies anti-aliasing to the picture (with no aid from the console) AND runs in really low resolutions. Consoles r solely dedicated to one purpose, gaming, where'as PC's are designed to be adept at many different purposes. When u play a game on a PC it has to give processing power to the OS and any other proggies u might be running, where as a console can concentrate on the game and nothing else.

PC'S WILL ALWAYS RULE!!!!

oh yeh and the PS2's games are designed on what?..... PCs!!!

Nucleus: Um, no... the PlayStation 2 games are made on the PlayStation 2 Dev Kit! The only thing the PC is used for, is the display!