PS3 and PC Setup Sharing Monitor and Speakers

Where should I put my PS3?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Where should I put my PS3?

• In the living room (you will NOT get a wireless internet connection). Hook it up to the 26" SDTV and possibly a new HDTV if you get one.
    • In the playroom (you WILL get a wireless internet connection). You will have to live with the 20" SDTV and tons of dolls surrounding you.
    • In your bedroom (you WILL get a wireless internet connection). Try to hook it up to your PC's speakers and 20" monitor (see post).

Hi all,

Please move this thread if I am not posting in the correct place. :blush:

Here's what I've got. My PC is connected to my HP w2007 monitor, which has one DVI and one VGA port, via a DVI-DVI cable. I have Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers connected to my PC. I also have an HDMI cable if that helps at all.

I want my PC and PS3 connected to the monitor. I would like them both to be on the DVI since DVI looks better than VGA, but if this isn't possible then I'd put the PS3 on the VGA. I want to have both the PC and PS3 connected to the speakers. I would also like the option to switch between the PC and PS3 when both are on. This last thing is not necessary at all, but it would be cool to have. One solution would be to mute one's sound output and have the ability to switch inputs on the monitor. Would that be possible?

So what cables and things would I need to accomplish this?

Thanks a bunch,

Noah

Edited by -Noah-

Hi all,

Please move this thread if I am not posting in the correct place. :blush:

Here's what I've got. My PC is connected to my HP w2007 monitor, which has one DVI and one VGA port, via a DVI-DVI cable. I have Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers connected to my PC. I also have an HDMI cable if that helps at all.

I want my PC and PS3 connected to the monitor. I would like them both to be on the DVI since DVI looks better than VGA, but if this isn't possible then I'd put the PS3 on the VGA. I want to have both the PC and PS3 connected to the speakers. I would also like the option to switch between the PC and PS3 when both are on. This last thing is not necessary at all, but it would be cool to have. One solution would be to mute one's sound output and have the ability to switch inputs on the monitor. Would that be possible?

So what cables and things would I need to accomplish this?

Thanks a bunch,

Noah

Just get a Samsung ToC T240HD. It's well worth the cost for what you want and it will support 16:9 without any stretching of the display.

Just get a Samsung ToC T240HD. It's well worth the cost for what you want and it will support 16:9 without any stretching of the display.

*sigh* The whole point of this was to get my PS3 hooked up to a decent display without spending a lot more cash. I'm running a bit low on money now after getting the PS3. If I'd spend that much, I'd rather put it towards a PN50A550 or something, put it in my living room, suffer without online and have a great HD experience.

Thanks anyway for the response.

Edited by -Noah-

I'd say hook it up to the PC monitor, 20 inches is more than enough if you play it from a close distance.

As for the Monitor and Speakers, you could get a KVM switch for that but that is relatively expensive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817399024

If you don't want to spend what you suggested could work fine and I'd personally go with that, maybe get a Y connector for the Speakers so that nothing has to be plugged/unplugged, just muted.

So here is what I've found. In short, it is possible but it takes way too many cables/adapters for the end result, and it costs too much in my opinion. I guess I'll be saving up for an HDTV, and use an SDTV for my PS3 in the meantime. Thanks for the suggestions.

-Noah

So here is what I've found. In short, it is possible but it takes way too many cables/adapters for the end result, and it costs too much in my opinion. I guess I'll be saving up for an HDTV, and use an SDTV for my PS3 in the meantime. Thanks for the suggestions.

-Noah

Well, you could get what I suggested. It will allow you to do both. :p

Okay I have put together a bundle of 5 items to buy off of Amazon to make this work. It will cost $51 including shipping. I will not be able to use my PC and PS3 and the same time, but that does not matter much to me. What do you think?

Dvi To Dvi/hdmi M/f Splitter Cable

This allows the monitor to take the PS3 (HDMI) and PC (DVI) output, but not at the same time

3.5mm Stereo Coupler, Female / Female

This will attach to the speakers 3.5 mm male and leave a 3.5 mm female plug

Belkin F8V234-WHT-APL Headphone Splitter

This will plug into the 3.5 mm female above and allow the PC's and PS3's sound to be sent to the speakers

Audio Splitter, 3.5Mm Stereo Male To 2 RCA Female

This converts the sound from the PS3 (RCA) to a 3.5 mm male, which will go into a 3.5 mm female in the splitter

QVS CC400M-06 3.5 MM Male to Male Audio Cable ? 6 Feet

This will go from the computer to a 3.5 mm female plug on the splitter above

-Noah

Won't you be surprised if you plug all that together and try to run your PS3 and see that it doesn't display any video?

Well I'm going to try the PS3 with a spare HDMI to DVI cable I have to make sure that will work. The monitor is HDCP compatible, so why do you think that it would not get any video?

Well I'm going to try the PS3 with a spare HDMI to DVI cable I have to make sure that will work. The monitor is HDCP compatible, so why do you think that it would not get any video?

I've read too many times of people trying to do the same thing you are, even with an HDCP capable monitor, only to come back saying that it didn't work.

I've read too many times of people trying to do the same thing you are, even with an HDCP capable monitor, only to come back saying that it didn't work.

Maybe I'll try to get similar parts at a local electronics shop for a premium, make sure it works, and then return it all and buy from Amazon for less. I'd love to see some of these examples, by the way. I'll do some google searching and see what I come up with.