7100: Lose Internet Yet?

Even after hundreds of posts in a dozen forums from users complaining about the Win7 Internet loss bug in each build since 7022, the bug continues into the RC.

This is the bug which drops internet in both wired and wireless connections, defies troubleshooting, then hangs upon restart requiring a hard shutdown every time. Then it resets upon startup.

This is on one of my four machines, running Linksys WUSB54GSC wireless adapter to Linksys WRT100 draft N router, all updated.

You would think that after two dozen people reported the bug in 7077 here in this forum, that MS would have gotten a clue. Hello?

Update: SOLVED - I switched Linksys adapters between v.2 on problem machine and v.1 on another pc that works fine and both have now held internet for 4 days. It must be the peculiarities of driver/adapter interacting with the specific machine.

Edited by gregrocker

If this is an issue with a build higher than 7000, I don't think you should be complaining after May 5th :).

And why is that? I have the leaked RC which is supposedly coming out around that time. Is there something special they are holding back just to cause torrential irritation?

It went down within 20 minutes the first time, but now after restart internet is a lot faster (OS blazes! ), so maybe it will hold on.

Edited by gregrocker

In build 7077 (running it now) I just uninstalled my wireless drive in device manager and then reinstaslled it. that fixed the problem for me.

I had a slightly similar issue when I was running 7048 (upgraded from 7000)....it would randomly lose connection and I was unable to get it to reconnect. It happened only like 2-3 times (I upgraded to 7048 when it was leaked and ran it up until today) but it never caused a hard shutdown, I simply hit Reboot and it would reboot and reconnect. It never really bothered me as it only happened a few times over the month and a few weeks I ran it and only took a minute to fix it.

Haven't had it happen yet but I have only had the RC installed for 5 hours or so.

have you considered its a driver issue for the linksys cards? ive seen them do all sorts of crazy crap with os supported and updated drivers on xp

i wouldnt nessicerly expect microsoft to fix it if thats the case its really not their issue just my $0.02

have you considered its a driver issue for the linksys cards? ive seen them do all sorts of crazy crap with os supported and updated drivers on xp

i wouldnt nessicerly expect microsoft to fix it if thats the case its really not their issue just my $0.02

Yeah I've tried every variation of driver, updated router firmware, etc. and nothing solves it.

That plus the fact that it doesn't happen on 7000 points to the O.S.

I didn't have this problem in 7077 at all, nor do I have this problem in the 7100 RC.

I have a standard Intel N card in my laptop and a Linksys 54g router with the latest Tomato firmware on it. I also tried it on my friend's Buffalo router (also with Tomato) and it works fine there too.

doesn't this just happen if you upgraded from a win7 build to another win7 build?

you know the thing you ain't actually meant to do...?

I have a linksys with DD-WRT and a netgear switch wired LAN and I haven't had one drop on either since installing win7 (fresh)...?

doesn't this just happen if you upgraded from a win7 build to another win7 build?

you know the thing you ain't actually meant to do...?

I have a linksys with DD-WRT and a netgear switch wired LAN and I haven't had one drop on either since installing win7 (fresh)...?

clean install to a second partition in case I need to bug out to 7000.

have stayed on for 2 hours since it dropped after install before first restart. I had really slow internet then, too, which went to ful speed when I restarted.

Strange thing happened, too, with internet dipping after about an hour and getting a yellow exclamation point on connection icon in tray, but then it recovered and page loaded. never did that before. maybe it will stick now.

UPDATE: Just dropped internet, but Diagnose Internet Connection worked to reset adapter.

Edited by gregrocker

Have you tried turning it off and on again? :ninja:

hehe, sounds weird, heard about uPNP kicking up a stink for a mate of mine on some random linux distro, similar symptoms...

hehe, sounds weird, heard about uPNP kicking up a stink for a mate of mine on some random linux distro, similar symptoms...

Yeah restarting the computer always resets the connection and it works for a couple of hours.

No such problem on 7000 on the same machine though. Never loses internet.

And why is that? I have the leaked RC which is supposedly coming out around that time. Is there something special they are holding back just to cause torrential irritation?

It went down within 20 minutes the first time, but now after restart internet is a lot faster (OS blazes! ), so maybe it will hold on.

You most likely have either a driver issue or a dying wireless card... probably the former.

Yeah restarting the computer always resets the connection and it works for a couple of hours.

No such problem on 7000 on the same machine though. Never loses internet.

I have seen alot of people saying this never happened with 7000 but happens with all builds greater than 7000.

This doesnt necessarily point to a fault with the OS. Obviously MS have changed something after 7000 that your driver is not happy with. Whatever the change, surely it is for the better, even though it has broken your (possibly flakey) driver in some way.

It is not MS's responsibility to code the OS around your driver, it is the other way around.

You will probably find a driver update from your vendor in the coming months that will fix the problem.

That is my 0.02c

No issue here with wireless with any build! (Apart from my driver only being available from Windows Update. Except, you can't connect to the net without it!)

Heh... its still there... I just installed 7100 and while i was browsing this forum i got disconnected 2 times... didnt have to restart... but kinda irritating, specially if this will happen while online gaming O_o

I have seen alot of people saying this never happened with 7000 but happens with all builds greater than 7000.

This doesnt necessarily point to a fault with the OS. Obviously MS have changed something after 7000 that your driver is not happy with. Whatever the change, surely it is for the better, even though it has broken your (possibly flakey) driver in some way.

It is not MS's responsibility to code the OS around your driver, it is the other way around.

You will probably find a driver update from your vendor in the coming months that will fix the problem.

That is my 0.02c

Well put. Especially "It is not MS's responsibility to code the OS around your driver, it is the other way around.". That's what this seems to be. It is NOT a Win 7 "bug" as so many have mistakenly called it.

And people saying this never happened with 7000 but happens with all builds greater than 7000? My wife and I have used 7000, 7048, 7057, 7068 and 7077. No wireless internet issues at all.

Well put. Especially "It is not MS's responsibility to code the OS around your driver, it is the other way around.". That's what this seems to be. It is NOT a Win 7 "bug" as so many have mistakenly called it.

And people saying this never happened with 7000 but happens with all builds greater than 7000? My wife and I have used 7000, 7048, 7057, 7068 and 7077. No wireless internet issues at all.

Same here. No issues at all and totally agree with the other users commenta too. Never understood why people expect microsoft to fix non microsoft issues.