Windows 7 RTM ISO Image Edition Switcher

This is a little thing for people who download images from MSDN or TechNet. Let's say that you've downloaded the 32-bit Ultimate ISO from MSDN. For some reason, you also want the 32-bit Professional ISO. You can either sit through another download from MSDN (takes time and wastes bandwidth), or you could make a copy of your Ultimate ISO and convert that into a Professional ISO, because, except for a handful of bytes, the two are virtually identical.

This is a set of binary patches (and a tool to apply these patches) that does this conversion between RTM disc images. The converted ISO will be exactly the same as what you download from MSDN/TechNet, and the SHA-1 hashes should match those officially posted by Microsoft. And obviously, you will need to already have one of the official disc images in order to use this. It's just something to prevent unnecessary downloads and let you back up these ISO images with far less duplication of data.

Update: There is now a second, alternate utility available that "deletes" ei.cfg from the ISO image, thus converting any Windows 7 disc into a "universal" disc. It works by directly modifying the ISO's file table, so there is no need for a time-consuming extraction and rebuild (it will be done in less than a second), and the process is completely reversible. Both utilities can be found at the download link below.

Download

Edited by code.kliu.org

Good for people that don't want to manually edit the ISOs themselves (by deleting ei.cfg). Nice stuff. A lot of people has been asking how to change the iso to specific editions.

However, deleting ei.cfg has its benefit: It will allow you to choose the edition you want to install during the installations. I'd imagine that would be more desirable and easier.

Good for people that don't want to manually edit the ISOs themselves (by deleting ei.cfg). Nice stuff. A lot of people has been asking how to change the iso to specific editions.

However, deleting ei.cfg has its benefit: It will allow you to choose the edition you want to install during the installations. I'd imagine that would be more desirable and easier.

+1, deleting the ei.cfg is just easier and allows you to select any edition from a list.. just like the RC version did.

+1, deleting the ei.cfg is just easier and allows you to select any edition from a list.. just like the RC version did.

The Beta and RC were version-locked, too. And yea, getting rid of ei.cfg will let you select an edition, and that's one alternative way, but for people who don't want to wrestle with rebuilding the ISO or for people who want the resulting image to be bit-for-bit identical to the official ISO images (with matching SHA-1 hash), then this is the way to go. ;)

The ISO of each editions are pretty much identical with the exception of ei.cfg.

Yes, of course. That's what makes this even possible. :p

...why bother? if you already downloaded the ultimate ISO, why download another ISO with LESS features?
The ISO of each editions are pretty much identical with the exception of ei.cfg.

Read the entire thread, sherlock >_>. In other words. the ISOs of all the editions are the same thing. only the ei.cfg is different.

Why doesnt this tool just delete the ei.cfg and thats it?

This. Much easier for people to pick the edition during the installation, rather than convert the iso, burn it to DVD, and then do the installation.

Why doesnt this tool just delete the ei.cfg and thats it?

Because anyone can do that (I already have a batch file that uses 7zip to extract the ISO and then OSCDIMG to rebuild the ISO with ei.cfg removed, and I've been using this with the Beta, RC, and now RTM ISOs). But that's not the point; the point of this is to get an end-result that is identical to the official image posted by MSFT without expending the extra bandwidth.

Building a universal disc that asks for the edition during install is one thing. Creating something that matches the original ISO is another. There are cases where the former is preferred, just as there are certain use cases where the latter is preferred. This tool is designed for the latter.

...why bother? if you already downloaded the ultimate ISO, why download another ISO with LESS features?

Well, then why does MSFT offer Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, and Professional downloads at MSDN and TechNet when people who have MSDN and TechNet subscriptions can get Ultimate keys? People have their reasons. For many, the answer is, "there's no reason", and that's fine. But there are people who, for one reason or another, may have a need for it, which is why the lower editions are offered by MSDN, and that's why this thing exists. In any case, whether or not anyone would care about Professional if they have Ultimate is a subject of its own let's not get sidetracked with that particular line of discussion.

Because anyone can do that

No they can't.

Sure they can open the ISO in WinRAR and delete the file but how do you make the ISO again? You need another program.

2 programs (at least)

With this supposed tool that would just remove the ei.cfg file, you need ONLY 2 programs.

This supposed tool.

Something to burn the ISO.

Now THAT anyone can do :)

Point is, you can use the software to allow anyone to make sort of the "Windows 7 Master Copy" of their own. They can use that copy they burned to the DVD, and be able to install any editions of windows 7 to their machines.

If you use the software to change it to the edition, then they are stuck with that edition, and if they need, for any reason, another edition. They'd have to make another copy.

That said, I think it'd be good way for people that don't want to do the ISO editing manually.

though i would personally delete ei.cfg as it gives more control, but your utility works great, & the biggest advantage is you do not need to build a new iso again if you modify it manually. the hashes matches is another advantage. it would be better if you could create a decent gui for it.

Since a lot of people are interested in removing ei.cfg, I've included a new tool for that (it's in the same download package; if you've already downloaded it, just redownload it).

This will patch the ISO to disable ei.cfg. Since it's directly modifying the ISO, there is no lengthy unpacking and rebuilding, and it takes only a fraction of a second. As a bonus, if you run the utility on an ISO that had already been patched by it, it can restore the ei.cfg and return the disc image to its original state.

If only I could have used this program three days ago. I had to re-download the 32-bit edition of Windows 7 Ultimate from TechNet to install it on my laptop. I already downloaded the 64-bit edition and I didn't have an empty external hard drive to backup my data. Oh well! This might come in handy in the future. Thanks. :)

Since a lot of people are interested in removing ei.cfg, I've included a new tool for that (it's in the same download package; if you've already downloaded it, just redownload it).

This will patch the ISO to disable ei.cfg. Since it's directly modifying the ISO, there is no lengthy unpacking and rebuilding, and it takes only a fraction of a second. As a bonus, if you run the utility on an ISO that had already been patched by it, it can restore the ei.cfg and return the disc image to its original state.

Definitely very handy feature to add - thanks.

Thank you very much for these tools code.. They will come in very handy. I really didn't want the hassle of rebuilding the ISO. I can make my parents their Home Premium DVD now instead of waiting for their download from the pre-order.

Just checked out your tool (7Zip isn't working for me on Win7 so I'm at work using it right now) and it seems like a genius idea. Does everything I need to do with ISO images config wise without installing bloated software. I suggest you use zip instead of 7zip for the packages though for better reliability.

I suggest you use zip instead of 7zip for the packages though for better reliability.

Reliability? No, 7zip is perfectly reliable. But okay, I do recognize that (sadly) many people do not have 7zip on their systems, so I've changed it to zip...