ASUS ATI 5850 Problem

Just fired up the new comp, was super thrilled till i found out while tryign 2 play crysis that my comp locks up when trying to output anything other than the monitor prefered 1920x1200.

Example: left for dead 2 demo works fine because it supports that resolution by default. Crysis however locks up before anything even happens.

Even worst: If i try to change the resolution in windows, i get the same crash.

System:

Win 7 32-bit professional

Asus 5850 Card (no overclock)

Monitor is an asus WH266 (25.5" LCD). problem occurs when connected by dvi or HDMI regardless.

4GB DDR3 ram

Intel i7 2.66ghz

Please help me determin if my card is bad, if maybe there are other drivers to try or if the card or OS are just too new and these are just things i'll have to live with.

Does the computer lockup or does it black out and then revert back to the previous resolution after 15 seconds (in the case of changing resolutions in Windows) ?

computer just blacks out and does not autorevert after any period of time or become responsive.

I have new information:

- the monitor cannot be the problem as i've unsintalled the ATI drivers and the monitor will display low resolutions. This can only lead me to conclude it is a driver problem.

- Upon installing the ATI drivers again (latest versions downloaded from Asus website) and rebooting, i get the following error at startup: atialdxx.dll bad image please reinstall from optical media. That is the jist of it.

Ok fine, do this.

Download the drivers from the ATi website

Boot into safe mode

Uninstall the ASUS drivers

Reboot

Safe Mode - Install the ATi drivers

Reboot into Windows.

That should work.

thanks, should i try again with asus drivers or ATI generic drivers from their site for the 5850

before i do that, i tried a normal install of the Asus specific drivers one more time.

the ATI installer said that the ATI Display drivers did not install and this was the log:

Catalyst? Install Manager

Installation Report

11/15/09 07:22:02

Hardware information

Name ATI Radeon Graphics Processor

Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc

Device ID 0x6899

Vendor ID 0x1002

Class Code 0x030000

Revision ID 0x00

Subsystem ID 0x0330

Subsystem vendor ID 0x1043

Other hardware

Existing packagesMicrosoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable

Packages for install

Catalyst Control CenterFinal Status: Success

Version of Item: 2009.0925.1707.28889

Size: 150 Mbytes

ATI Catalyst Install ManagerFinal Status: Success

Version of Item: 3.0.745.0

Size: 20 Mbytes

ATI Display DriverFinal Status: Fail

Version of Item: 8.661.0.0000

Size: 90 Mbytes

HDMI Audio DriverFinal Status: Success

Version of Item: 5.00.7000.07

Size: 1 Mbytes

Other detected devices

Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc

Device ID 0xaa50

Vendor ID 0x1002

Class Code 0x040300

Revision ID 0x00

Subsystem ID 0xaa50

Subsystem vendor ID 0x1043

Error messages

Driver Install: the installation failed

yeah i guess i'll have to.

it'll have to wait till next weekend i guess since i'm away from home. ********.

there's also a supply issue up here..hopefully i won't have to wait for a new card for too long.

anything i should know about putting in a new card? or just uninstall drivers, pop out old card, pop in new card and reinstall drivers?

anything i should know about putting in a new card? or just uninstall drivers, pop out old card, pop in new card and reinstall drivers?

That's pretty much it.

bump. monitor definitly not the problem as it functions fine with the stock windows drivers and ATI uninstalled.

i tried the new 9.11 drivers by ati today..no difference. i did notice a blue screen of death on the initial install. i had to uninstall the drivers and re-install them to get a clean install but they detect fine and the problem persists.

Try the following:

Run any ATI Driver setup and select uninstall, Windows should revert back to Default drivers.

Go to device manager, locate your card, right-click it and select uninstall and make sure you tick "Remove Driver" in the dialog.

You should now be on a absurd low resolution.

Reboot and you should still have that low resolution but Windows will install generic ATI WDDM drivers and require a second reboot, do that.

After you have rebooted you should be at a decent res again.

Go to C:\Program Files and delete the ATI folder, do the same in C:\ProgramData, C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local and C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming

(Might be good to look for any ASUS folders too)

After that, run the original ATI 9.11 setup and choose custom install, when asked what components to install, check everything but HDMI Audio Driver. If the install succeeds, reboot and see if the problem is fixed.

If not, I'm sorry to say but you card really seems faulty then :(

thanks. will try that after work.

to add insult to injury, asus doesn't even list the eah5870 and 5850 on their website anymore under products!

maybe there's something they know that we dont?

Good luck with it!

About the website, maybe ASUS made a critical design flaw that mysteriously passed QC and now they are pulling them all back..... wouldn't be the first time in history.

Oh and about my idea, the folders ProgramData and AppData are usually super hidden, easiest way to access them is to just type it in the address bar.

Good luck with it!

About the website, maybe ASUS made a critical design flaw that mysteriously passed QC and now they are pulling them all back..... wouldn't be the first time in history.

Oh and about my idea, the folders ProgramData and AppData are usually super hidden, easiest way to access them is to just type it in the address bar.

man i got another blue screen during the uninstall :(

never had this problem with nvidia lol

sky,

windows did not load the default ATI driver on reboot, and i'm still on low resolution with a generic vga driver.

should i still try deleting the files and then reinstallign the ati 9.11?

EDIT: Yes just follow my procedure, seems like 7 hasn't default drivers for the 5xxx series yet.

Wow that's the first time I heard that UNinstalling something causes bluescreens oO

You must had bad luck with your card :(

My past two GPUs were ATI and other then dust clogging up the fans they have not a single problem.

Just out of curiosity, follow my instructions as much as possible and if you managed to install a ATI driver do this:

Go to your Documents folder/library and go to the MyGames/Crysis folder and open up game.cfg with notepad then alter the values:

r_Height = xxxx
r_Width = xxxx

to a non-crashing res, for example:

r_Height = 1200
r_Width = 1920

save the file, fire up Crysis, it shouldn't crash now. Play the game for a while and look out for any anomalies.

EDIT: Yes just follow my procedure, seems like 7 hasn't default drivers for the 5xxx series yet.

UPDATE:

could not find a game.cfg file for crysis BUT

I plugged in a 2nd monitor to see if dual-screen would yeild a different result, but no, i still got a system crash when adjusting the 2nd monitor. It did however reveal a blue-screen of death and memory dump this time instead of a full out system lockup as it did with one monitor.

Are blue screens hardware or software issues or both?

i suppose if 4 driver updates didn`t fix it, its not software.

going home to test the new unit today after work, unless i end up falling asleep at the wheel, in which case if anyone finds the wreckage of a blue mazda 3 on highway 401, feel free to pick thru the scraps for free parts lol

my monitor does the same thing actually but i assumed it is because the detection and aspect ratio ... none the less i set it as high as possible and left it there. Games run at all the resolutions as far as i know (i will be changing the vid card soon) ... (it could be the refresh rate and other things especially if it is a WS monitor)

had the exact same problem as you, brand new machine core i7 gigabyte 5850 win7 32bit ultimate and after hrs of searching and beating my head on the desk i found a thread where someone had the same problem except he said removing his comodo firewall software fixed the issue, ofc im not using that i was using microsoft security essentials but low and behold removing that fixed the problem. so maybe its your AV also?

had the exact same problem as you, brand new machine core i7 gigabyte 5850 win7 32bit ultimate and after hrs of searching and beating my head on the desk i found a thread where someone had the same problem except he said removing his comodo firewall software fixed the issue, ofc im not using that i was using microsoft security essentials but low and behold removing that fixed the problem. so maybe its your AV also?

dude...i can't believe it...i'm going to curl up into a ball and weep....you were right!

uninstalled ms security essentials and everything worked! crysis at full everything, resolution changes, all problems fixed.

i think your post might just be the best first post in the history of interweb forums!

does anyone else notice occasional horizontal banding during FMV sequences? i noticed them during the crysis FMV's but not ingame. is that a vsync setting?