Microsoft prepares Windows 7 for external SP1 testing

Similar to previous external beta service pack rollouts, Microsoft has enabled ? via updates you already installed ? a beta ?candidacy check? within its Windows Update software. Just like Windows Vista, a registry key and value pair need to be added prior to being authorized to download the new software.

ProcessMonitorW7SP1.png

Although I've documented the required key and value names, the value?s data (likely a GUID as before) remains unknown. The takeaway here is that external Windows 7 SP1 testing should commence soon, if it hasn?t already. Tips regarding the significance of the name SPORTM would be greatly appreciated.

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Win7SP1

Value: SPORTM (REG_SZ)

Data: Unknown (likely a server-side checked GUID)

Source : WithinWindows

Interesting.... I wonder what the change log is.

You already know, I don't expect 7 SP1 to be much at all considering a SP is purely the rollup of all the updates currently released (which isn't many as 7 hasn't much to be fixed) and a few extra ones thrown in. I dare say 7 almost doesn't need a SP.

The only real updates I can think of that is needed for Windows 7 is security patches but even then, it is an extremely stable OS.

And even in that regard, Windows 7 seems to have less security flaws than previous versions. I know, it's probably more that they haven't been found yet, but even the ones Vista has 7 doesn't seem to share. So clearly Microsoft put something in place that makes Windows 7 different. I'm sure there will be patches, but if SP1 were just a rollup of patches it would be like 2 MB's at this point...

I'm really curious to see what SP1 brings. I'm really blanking as to what it needs...

You already know, I don't expect 7 SP1 to be much at all considering a SP is purely the rollup of all the updates currently released (which isn't many as 7 hasn't much to be fixed) and a few extra ones thrown in. I dare say 7 almost doesn't need a SP.

I agree. Unless Microsoft has something else planned for the SP it really isn't necessary... Like I said as well, if it's just a rollup it isn't going to include much...

I tried the update to 7600.20576.amd64fre.win7_ldr.091115-1505 which crapped out the TCP stack. I advise not to be to hasty to update anytime real soon except when you are in an adventurous mood.

I find Win7 to be the most rock solid version of Windows to date. I seriously don't feel the need for a Service Pack to be out yet. Not this early at least.

Ohh Windows 7 is having some minor quirks. They are annoying for me at least.

1. Mastered DVD RW Disc is reported as empty in My Computer screen.

2. WMP12 now playing window fails to remember window size and position.

Can't believe they are preparing SP1 for external testing, or at least showing preparation stages of it.

Windows 7 has only been going for a few months which has been very popular and continues to pick up marketshare. Windows 7 only received 1 update so far through Windows Update, so surely it must be filled with features rather than patches.

Can't believe they are preparing SP1 for external testing, or at least showing preparation stages of it.

Windows 7 has only been going for a few months which has been very popular and continues to pick up marketshare. Windows 7 only received 1 update so far through Windows Update, so surely it must be filled with features rather than patches.

it is mostly for those with 'wait till SP1' mentality :alien:

Only 1? excluding drivers mine downloaded like 5

it is mostly for those with 'wait till SP1' mentality :alien:

Exactly. This will be little more than a roll-up of patches, but a significant proportion of potential users will not take the plunge and move to W7 until SP1. This has been common practice for many companies for many years.

I agree. Unless Microsoft has something else planned for the SP it really isn't necessary... Like I said as well, if it's just a rollup it isn't going to include much...

I imagine it contains the hundred or so Windows 7 patches (several critical remote vulnerabilities that could compromise a system entirely) that have been publicly released already, as well as any internal bug fixes that aren't critical enough to have been released.

There is absolutely nothing that indicates that 7 will be any different than earlier releases. Nothing. The level of worship is a bit silly. It is one of the most complex pieces of software out there, and it will have its share of bugs.

It will include all the fixes that have been made. There are many of them. I wouldn't be especially surprised if the number is actually higher than it was for Windows 2000, which had its first Service Pack six months after release. XP after 11. There doesn't seem to be anything unusual at all here. It seems like they're pretty close to earlier versions.

I find Win7 to be the most rock solid version of Windows to date. I seriously don't feel the need for a Service Pack to be out yet. Not this early at least.

No doubt!!

Read the title and said WTH?!!

there are lots of bugs in win7 like when it encounters corrupt files, the whole system will hang for many minutes, many patches have only been made available on contacting ms, so there will be alot of bugs fixed than we know about. Other bugs include subtitle support in WMP12 gives jagged lines, there's alot of bugs in win7, alot were fixed in the stability patches released on windows update but there's still way more left:(

They will of course be adding usb3 and the new bluetooth standard in SP1 too which is always nice :)

I can't wait till sp1 is out, i hope they release a public beta of sp1 beta/rc so that it can be 100% stable by the time it is released.

I'd like new functionality and for the space left on disk to be shown in status bars in windows explorer like in all previous versions of windows, its really annoying that it has been removed.