'Genderless' Child Ignites Firestorm in Canada

Rodrigo

I really don't see what's the problem. By nature whether it's a girl or a boy, when he grows up a little more he will determine it. If psychologically he was determined to be homosexual (I mean, he feels as one not taught to be one) then there's really no point in saying he's a boy or a girl when at the end homosexuality will prevail.

I don't support the method but I don't think it should cause a ****storm like the one it's happening.

seasonic

I have no idea what Im reading.

If it has a penis when it is born, it is a boy. Irrelevent if it later grows ######, removes its dick, etc.

If it has a vagina when it is a born, it is a girl. Irrelevent if it gets a breast reduction, implants a dick, etc.

Besides, by law, I believe you have to legally state a sex in the birth certificate.

carmatic

The irony of this statement is amusing. I love that people go absolutely apesh*t over restrictions being lifted that don't need to be there.

As it is, the lack of gender is not bothering the child like everyone suggests since it won't have any strong memories until it's atleast a toddler, and even then it won't know of gender ideals. Instead, it's bothering everyone else who has a problem.

but still, the principle is that they are kind of using the baby to forward their ideology... when the kid is older, he or she might not appreciate that... it was the parents idea, and when the kid realizes that, i dont think it will be a very happy realization... imagine suddenly realizing that you have been 'used' by your parents all this time , to solve a problem in their adult world which really doesnt exist in your simple and innocent life ...

I have no idea what Im reading.

If it has a penis when it is born, it is a boy. Irrelevent if it later grows ######, removes its dick, etc.

If it has a vagina when it is a born, it is a girl. Irrelevent if it gets a breast reduction, implants a dick, etc.

Besides, by law, I believe you have to legally state a sex in the birth certificate.

its that the parents are not telling anyone about the gender of their child, as part of their attempts to get everyone to treat both genders equally or something...

Davo
but still, the principle is that they are kind of using the baby to forward their ideology... when the kid is older, he or she might not appreciate that... it was the parents idea, and when the kid realizes that, i dont think it will be a very happy realization... imagine suddenly realizing that you have been 'used' by your parents all this time , to solve a problem in their adult world which really doesnt exist in your simple and innocent life ...

While I agree, I would point to this as one of the few times where there is a sense of benevolence. It's not for a family feud, to persecute anyone, continue a monarchy, etc. From someone who lived a rigidly gender-controlled life and with an ethnicity that follows it to the letter, I'm all for this changing.

nub

Wow, way to overreact.

Growled

Very odd indeed.

Sir Topham Hatt

The flip side of that is what if they raise it as a boy and in a few years time it turns out its personality is that of a girl and vice versa, surely its going to do more harm then than it is now.

But that isn't the issue. For me gender is defined by what sexual organs you have:

A Penis = A Boy/Male

A Vagina = A Girl/Female

If this "genderless" baby has a penis, then they are technically a boy. However if the parents wish to raise their child with neutal (or non-gender specific) items such as clothes, toys or whatever, then that it their choice. But to go out right and say "we will let the child decide what gender they are" is completly. . . well, just down-right wrong.

That's like pointing at a robin and saying it's a parrot!

Subject Delta

Gender stereotypes are outmoded, it's good to see people taking a stand against them.

Ji@nBing

FFS what is wrong with boys being boys and girls being girls? Some people seem to want to create a unisex society where there is no difference between the sexes and we all dress and act alike. The stupidity is mind boggling.

+Mirumir

Gender stereotypes are outmoded, it's good to see people taking a stand against them.

(Y)

Eddo89

When he/she go to school, they will be showed to their toilets. Are they just going to allow him to choose whichever one he wants?

I'm sure other parents will really like that. Of course, Storm could well be home schooled.

I think the parents is losing the point. If your child is a boy, he is a boy. He will one day ask why he have a penis. Why does it go large when he goes through puberty. There are certain traits that male has that female don't and vice versa. If he grew up to be a straight person, he will want to have a girl friend. Or a boy friend if he is gay. While I'm not gay, there will be differences in the sexual experience I gather. You just can't get away from it. He is a boy, now plot your next move.

It is a different story if they don't want Storm to play football or any sport because he is a guy or like Transformers over Hannah Montanna because he is a guy. It is different. Perhaps this is what they want to change but thats not the way to go about it. Chances are, by adolescent age, he will be exactly like a stereotypical boy. He will play sports even if he doesn't want to. He will have sex with girls even though he is gay. He will rather be more of a guy, force himself to be the very person his parents don't want him to be. He will drink like the any bloke would even though he dislike alcohol but it is what "real men" do. Pressured to be a male. Except the only pressure is himself. Because his parents went high profile over this. Because they will push their idealogy, and chances are, they will lean towards him being a girl and he will hate every memory of it.

If they truly love their son, they will let him be. Whatever is best, then let him be. If they actually did that, they can actually be good parents as Storm will be his own man

Fred Derf

The issue is that Storm's older brother Jazz doesn't conform to gender norms. He likes pink, he likes to have long hair and he likes to wear pretty things.

Storm's parents have run into issues with other people pushing gender norms onto Jazz and not accepting Jazz for who he wants to be. Now that they have another child (actually their 3rd) they have decided not to tell anyone the gender in case Storm also doesn't conform to gender norms.

This, of course, reminds me of the Maginot Line from WWII where the French were ready to re-fight WW1's trench warfare without factoring in that German tanks could simply drive over the trenches and barbed wire.

The parents are fighting the last war whether or not it applies. What, realistically, is the chance that they would have two boys that don't subscribe to the established gender norms? The parents were hiding the gender because they were trying to say that the gender doesn't matter. What they've done, however, is make Storm's gender the most important thing that people are talking about.

tomjol

I really don't see what's the problem. By nature whether it's a girl or a boy, when he grows up a little more he will determine it. If psychologically he was determined to be homosexual (I mean, he feels as one not taught to be one) then there's really no point in saying he's a boy or a girl when at the end homosexuality will prevail.

I don't support the method but I don't think it should cause a ****storm like the one it's happening.

Homosexuals still have genders.

remixedcat

there's a STORM of comments that are quite intriguing.

z3rodown

The fact that everyone is making a big deal about it and bringing it to attention will screw the kid up. The article said the letter was sent to "the couple sent an email to friends and family", its not like they advertised this to the world. What is the problem with someone growing up unique? Why the sense of urgency to dismiss these people as horrible parents when people need to mind their own business? People are generally too nosey for their own good and that is what really hurts others because they are constantly being judged.

Udedenkz

Computer says no.

EPIC WIN REFERENCE

hehe, that sure is weird. I thought it was going to be a radiated baby that was born with no genatalia not a weird family rufusing to tell people their baby's identity.

When I read the title this is what I thought too.

It has both genders, or it has no sex organs at all.

This is entirely pointless. As the kid gets older the gender will become apparent and the kid will fall in line.

This is true most of the time.

What?

Homosexiality does not mean the kid will like to play with dolls and wear a dress (supposing Storm is male), that is gender identity disorder (treated by a sex change) which the quotation below seems to describe perfectly:

The issue is that Storm's older brother Jazz doesn't conform to gender norms. He likes pink, he likes to have long hair and he likes to wear pretty things.

Storm's parents have run into issues with other people pushing gender norms onto Jazz and not accepting Jazz for who he wants to be. Now that they have another child (actually their 3rd) they have decided not to tell anyone the gender in case Storm also doesn't conform to gender norms.

This, of course, reminds me of the Maginot Line from WWII where the French were ready to re-fight WW1's trench warfare without factoring in that German tanks could simply drive over the trenches and barbed wire.

The parents are fighting the last war whether or not it applies. What, realistically, is the chance that they would have two boys that don't subscribe to the established gender norms? The parents were hiding the gender because they were trying to say that the gender doesn't matter. What they've done, however, is make Storm's gender the most important thing that people are talking about.

CentralDogma

at first i though this was about a truly genderless baby, not a gender hidden child with nutball parents.

Just to let you know, biologically, a genderless human is very unlikely.

Basically human sex determination as a such: the SRY gene on the Y chromosome transcribes the SRY protein that differentiates a person into a male. In the absence of this gene, a person will be female. In essence, the default human gender is female.

Furthermore, due to how closely coupled the development of reproductive and urinary systems are, if the reproductive system did not develop beyond a predifferentiated state, the urinary systems would most likely be severely under developed. The person would probably require dialysis.

Liana

The people who have a problem with this seem to be completely missing the point; it's not about denying a child's gender or sex, it's about raising them in a way (as much as possible) that frees them from the limitations of gender roles and stereotypes. The kid gets to (for now) grow up being able to experience the entire spectrum of gender, it doesn't mean that the kid won't choose or get to be male or female identified, either by his/her parents or by his/her self. Society puts limitations on what's acceptable that vary by gender, and for the most part that's not ideal, it's wrong, and the same goes for how we treat people. We sometimes treat people very differently based solely off of gender instead of treating that person based on their personality.

It's ****ing people off because most of us like to put people into neat little boxes and we can't do that here. People who interact with this child are unable to define, stereotype, steer and limit him/her based on gender, and I think that's amazing. Gender is not black and white; this baby's gender will be a mix of masculine and feminine traits regardless of what the parents choose to do, just like all of us have a mix of feminine and masculine traits. It won't influence the child to be gay, trans, or anything except for his/her true self.

I can't help but wonder if guys in particular are upset about this because guys tend to be very limited socially in what they can wear, how they can act (especially around other guys), and what's expected of them; it makes sense that they wouldn't like the idea that this baby could be a boy who likes some things that are socially considered to be feminine, because often times men who show any socially feminine characteristics are considered by other men to be weak, and it's looked down upon by other men. I think it's really sad that men are so socially limited in these ways.

Kaemon

Who thinks Storm will turn out gay .... :unsure:

I do, this dam kid is gonna end up so confused....

Gutierrez

kill that freak and its parents too :laugh:

Jebadiah

Worst case the kids gonna end up some sort of Sexual deviant... especially if they carey it on through childhood/teen years.

Dont want to generalise but look at the amount of cases where some sort of sexual abnormality from parents has led to folk with unhealthy sexual preferances.

Sexuality and Gender are two different things.

What happens if its a girl till age 5, then a boy 5-10, before sucumbing to peer pressure age 15 and boom female again. At what point is the definitive point made and for what reasons? Puberty or just preferance?

They say choice is good, but not when its a child choosing before they even know themselves.

What other people think about you is irrelevant. You have simply pointed out the current problem in society. It is true that most people are sheep, so there is a high likelihood that this kid could get messed up in society, but there's no reason to try this out. The parents have every right to give the kid the choice. The kid knows what he or she is and he or she will choose something at a time that feels right.

The reason everyone here who thinks what the parents are doing is ridiculous is because you judge and treat people in society on the basis of their gender. So that information is important to you to function well in society. Because this baby doesn't have a publicized gender, you feel some kind of a trauma because you don't know how to treat this kid. There is an easy solution.

The irony of this statement is amusing. I love that people go absolutely apesh*t over restrictions being lifted that don't need to be there.

As it is, the lack of gender is not bothering the child like everyone suggests since it won't have any strong memories until it's atleast a toddler, and even then it won't know of gender ideals. Instead, it's bothering everyone else who has a problem.

To further illustrate the hypocrisy, the parents aren't saying the child can't have a gender, they just aren't releasing it. Meanwhile, opponents are saying it must have one despite it not being their child.

I was raised like a boy with GI Joe, TNMT, jean shorts, wrestling etc. but I was constantly asked if I was gay because I preferred drawing instead of sports. Those sort of judgments are based solely on gender restrictions. *That* is harmful.

Good post.

But that isn't the issue. For me gender is defined by what sexual organs you have:

A Penis = A Boy/Male

A Vagina = A Girl/Female

If this "genderless" baby has a penis, then they are technically a boy. However if the parents wish to raise their child with neutal (or non-gender specific) items such as clothes, toys or whatever, then that it their choice. But to go out right and say "we will let the child decide what gender they are" is completly. . . well, just down-right wrong.

That's like pointing at a robin and saying it's a parrot!

No, you are referring to sexual characteristics of a person. Gender isn't defined by your sex organs.

gtho

Anyone else think they named their kids after cars :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
Solid Knight

No, you are referring to sexual characteristics of a person. Gender isn't defined by your sex organs.

A quick guide:

Gender (biological)

Gender role (sociological)

Gender identity (psychological)

Gender is defined by your sex organs. One only needs to consult a dictionary to confirm this.

ThisSiteHasLostItsCharm

Who thinks Storm will turn out gay .... :unsure:

either that or he / she will develope super powers.

DoctorD

This article is quite amuseing, and sad at the same time. These parents are clearly part of the "everyone is the same" and "Everyone is a Winner" generation and their children will get to know first hand how wrong mommy and daddy were.