• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Home Theatre 5.1 setup for an apartment

georgevella    48

Hi

I need help to choose a good home theatre setup for my apartment. Let me start by describing my scenario: this is a room 5mx4m (around 16.5feet by 13feet), the back is open and leads into a 5m x 5m ketchen. I am on the second floor therefore I am pretty much surrounded - a family living in the apartment below me, another one above me, and there are two neighbours on my floor. The floor of my apartment is paved with ceramic tiles, I will also be installing a gypsum ceiling. I am considering installing some sound proofing, at least on the ceiling and the wall adjacent to my neighbour's apartment.

Now what I want: clarity and good sound reproduction. I had this setup in mind: two floorstanding towers on the front and a centre speaker, and two in-ceiling speakers at the back. For floorstanding, I was thinking of a pair of KEFs (q500) or Klipsch (rf82). I did read a couple of reviews about them and are in my price range. The centre speaker will be the same brand as the floorstanding. The back speakers will be KEF Ci160 series.

What I would like to know is whether this whole setup is overkill, especially the floorstanding speakers. If you guys think so, I would love to hear about some alternatives. I haven't yet thought about a subwoofer because I am leaning on the RF82s and I have read that they have pretty good bass on their own; also considering my situation with the neighbours getting a bass is kinda redundant if I can't use it.

I appreciate any help you guys give me.

G

Jeston    400

I recently crammed the whole RF82 II system in my tiny bedroom (about 13 x 12 x 8) and they sound amazing. They're going to sound amazing in rooms small and large, so no, I wouldn't say they're overkill per se.

Are you sure your landlords are willing to let you install in ceiling speakers?

georgevella    48

I recently crammed the whole RF82 II system in my tiny bedroom (about 13 x 12 x 8) and they sound amazing. They're going to sound amazing in rooms small and large, so no, I wouldn't say they're overkill per se.

Are you sure your landlords are willing to let you install in ceiling speakers?

This is my apartment (I am the owner) so I can do what I want within the confines of my apartment :) I don't have much options unfortunately since the back of the room is open and leads to the kitchen; I have a feeling that it would look weird to have a pair of surround speakers standing there in the middle of an "open-plan"

Jeston    400

This is my apartment (I am the owner) so I can do what I want within the confines of my apartment :) I don't have much options unfortunately since the back of the room is open and leads to the kitchen; I have a feeling that it would look weird to have a pair of surround speakers standing there in the middle of an "open-plan"

Ah, I've got you. I don't have any experience with any in ceiling/in wall speakers, so I'm not sure what to say about those rears. I will confirm, though, that you are correct in thinking you don't need a subwoofer with the RF82s, they should supply ample bass for the situation.

What center speaker are you thinking of if you go with the RF82s? I'm sure you know, but the center is of course very important and definitely not something you should slack on at all. The RC62 would be the lowest I would go with the RF82s. Of course if you can afford the RC64, then.... ;)

georgevella    48

Ah, I've got you. I don't have any experience with any in ceiling/in wall speakers, so I'm not sure what to say about those rears. I will confirm, though, that you are correct in thinking you don't need a subwoofer with the RF82s, they should supply ample bass for the situation.

What center speaker are you thinking of if you go with the RF82s? I'm sure you know, but the center is of course very important and definitely not something you should slack on at all. The RC62 would be the lowest I would go with the RF82s. Of course if you can afford the RC64, then.... ;)

Indeed the RC64II caught my eye but I was leaning towards the RC62II or the Kefs Q600 (again depending on the brand I go for). RC64II looks great and everything but having a one meter speaker hanging in the middle of the wall, dunno, feels weird.