Linux & Windows XP Systems

OK guys,

I want to install Mandrake 8.0 on my system and still don't know if I should because of everything that I heard about Windows XP not allowing a dual boot on the boot sector situated on a hard drive whre Windows XP resides.

In my system, I have:

One 60 GIG drive where Windows XP resides and another 30 GIG drive that presently has nothing (slave).

Now, do anyone of you know if I can install Mandrake 8.0 on my second hard drive and have, LILO for example give me the option of booting from either Windows XP or Linux ?

This is EXACTLY how I did it with XP :) I just used a spare harddrive and it set everything up automatically....The bootloader will call XP - NT but not like that's a big deal ;) But the big thing is that it detected and set everything up successfully.

Very pleased with the distro. :)

Mandrake 8.0 is starting to be a great distro. Nice setup and comes loaded with plenty of goodies.

I'm still a die hard Debian fan thou, but for the starter computer user who wants to get into seeing what linux is all about, Mandrake has done an excellent job at a distro, just download the iso's, burn em, and your all set to go.

I personally like apt in debian, best advance to installing apps in years, installs rpm's and keeps all the dependancies intact. And with one command you can upgrade your linux distro to the latest patches in one fell swoop!

I never use large hd for windows or linux. I always use a small partition or a small hd to keep those files on so that data losses are never a critical factor when reformatting or working with dual boot

I have two hard drives, all chopped up like crazy, think my drive letters with my cd-r and my pd optical is up to v: at the moment.

Hey Guys,

I finally installed Mandrake 8.0 on my 30 Gig hard drive. What I did was boot up the Mandrake CD #1 and partitioned my 30 Gig drive to have one 15 Gig partition and the other partition, split up into the recommended partitions for a linux install.

The install went great...the only thing that I have to figure out now is how to make my network cards see my Linksys router. For some reason, even if I specify the right IPs and the right Gateway and Netmask, I simply can't ping the router...the only think I can ping is my damn self :(

I'll get it fixed in no time....I HOPE;)