'Call of Duty' Sets Sights on a monthly Fee with COD Elite

Consumers are used to paying $60 each for videogames that run on consoles like the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Now the publisher behind the industry's biggest videogame franchise? "Call of Duty"?is about to find out whether it can get them to pay a monthly bill, too.

Activision Blizzard Inc. plans to launch an online service called Call of Duty Elite this fall that will work with the next major edition of the game, "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3," and future installments of the hyper-realistic combat-simulation game. In a move industry executives describe as a first, Activision plans to charge a monthly subscription fee for the service, which will provide extra content that isn't offered on game discs sold in stores, including downloadable map packs that give players new "Call of Duty" levels to play.

Activision executives said they haven't yet figured out how much to charge for the service, but they expect the cost to be less than fees for comparable online-entertainment services, such as a $7.99-a-month Netflix Inc. movie subscription. Portions of the service will be free, including features inspired by Facebook Inc. that will let "Call of Duty" players meet for online gun battles with others who share various affiliations and interests.

In an interview, Activision Chief Executive Bobby Kotick said he isn't worried about pushback from gamers about the Call of Duty Elite fee because players will still be able to compete against each other online without subscribing to the service. While he is coy about many of the offerings that will be included in the service, Mr. Kotick said Call of Duty Elite, and the customer-service operation that will be needed to support it, wouldn't be possible if the service was free. "This is an enormous investment," he said.

"Call of Duty" is in a unique position to seek a monthly fee from customers. The game's previous installment, set during the Cold War and called "Call of Duty: Black Ops," was the best-selling game last year, with global retail sales of more than $1 billion during its first six weeks on shelves.

Since Activision first began publishing the series almost eight years ago, it has accounted for more than $3 billion in retail sales, according to the company. Unlike hit movies, new versions of "Call of Duty" come out every year, with "Modern Warfare 3" due to arrive in stores Nov. 8.

"It's probably the biggest entertainment franchise in the world," said Dennis Durkin, corporate vice president in Microsoft's interactive-entertainment business.

Just as important is the degree to which "Call of Duty" has become the biggest online-game hit on consoles. While many gamers still play the old-fashioned way?by themselves against enemies operated by the game itself?"Call of Duty" has been the most successful console game at getting players to battle other human-operated opponents over the Internet.

Jamie Berger, Activision's vice president of digital for "Call of Duty," said the company has about seven million daily players of the game who spend, on average, about seven full days a year playing the game against others online. Players often use headsets to communicate verbally with other online gamers.

Like other publishers, Activision has earned money selling "Call of Duty" map packs and other digital content for one-time charges, but subscriptions to its new service could give it a continuing way to capitalize on the online popularity of the game.

Rob Dyer, senior vice president of publisher relations at Sony's U.S. games division, said only a few games have the audience loyalty and size to support a subscription service like Call of Duty Elite. Mr. Dyer said he is "very confident" other publishers will follow Activision's lead. "There's money to be made there," he said.

Source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304563104576355310423496054.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

Other publishers were suppose to follow Activisions higher RRP for COD and haven't, so let's hope they don't follow this either.

Good thing Battlefield 3 is arriving and I'm saying bye to CoD. wouldn't catch me paying $60 for XBL + $60 for a game + $x for a monthly fee just for extra stuff. I'll pass.

"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3," and future installments of the hyper-realistic combat-simulation game.

:wacko:

Realistic and Call of Duty don't belong in the same sentence.

Anyways, I think it's a stupid idea and I hope it backfires on them very quickly.

"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3," and future installments of the hyper-realistic combat-simulation game.

:wacko:

Realistic and Call of Duty don't belong in the same sentence.

Anyways, I think it's a stupid idea and I hope it backfires on them very quickly.

I noticed that too, I have to agree it is FAR from realistic.

Call of Duty is popular, any game with the CoD brand sells, regardless of the developer behind it. AV want to milk it as much as possible and given the name of the service "Elite" I assume they may only draw in a bunch of people, honestly I can not see it kicking off. The game has an ESRB rating of M but many "minors" play that game at least that's the case here in the UK I can not see how they can get parents to fork out a monthly fee on top of the $60 they pay for the game initially. Not to mention any other subscription fees like XBL and PSN+.

You can bet your money on it if the game ratings were enforced properly or if we had responsible parents on society then CoD would not sell as much as it normally does :rofl:

Call of Duty is popular, any game with the CoD brand sells, regardless of the developer behind it. AV want to milk it as much as possible and given the name of the service "Elite" I assume they may only draw in a bunch of people, honestly I can not see it kicking off. The game has an ESRB rating of M but many "minors" play that game at least that's the case here in the UK I can not see how they can get parents to fork out a monthly fee on top of the $60 they pay for the game initially. Not to mention any other subscription fees like XBL and PSN+.

You can bet your money on it if the game ratings were enforced properly or if we had responsible parents on society then CoD would not sell as much as it normally does :rofl:

It'll easily sell, slap "get exclusive maps first and be the mad coolest COD pro" on the service and millions of people will subscribe. It's a domino effect, your friends subscribe, you don't want to be left "behind" them.

Activision/Blizzard are on course with Apple to be some of the best companies at marketing their products into a religion which means price doesn't really matter, people have to have the products they advertise even if they can tell themselves in their head they're paying a lot for what they're getting.

I'm sure plenty of people will pay for it but I won't be one of them. Out of the games I own at the moment, Bioshock 2, The Mass Effect series, and Portal 2 are the only games I would consider buying DLC for

@Audioboxer, the article has the first 3 paragraphs repeated.

As for the article, I'm still wary in regards to how much content we'll actually be seeing. What really interests me though is the fact that they're actually taking note of other subscription services. I really wish Blizzard would take a look at their model, as they appear to be trying to slap a "premium-tier" subscription model on their current one...

@Audioboxer, the article has the first 3 paragraphs repeated.

Thanks!

DLC is evolving into a cash milking machine. Soom we will have to pay so much for so little extra icing on the top.

Gone will be the large DLCs that we all know now. Soon you will have to pay for ONE map or whatever is in the map like props. :s Crazy kids.

I love how the Activision CFO or whatever it was a few months ago said they had no plans to do this. LOL yeah right. With Bobby "The Greed" Kottick running the show you sure do.

so instead of DLC they are going to do this? Usually there are three map packs with each release at 15 each. so charge 5ish a month for a year until the next one comes in and it's pretty much even. If they do both then that's a dbag move for sure...

HAHAHA... Netflix is COMPARABLE to this garbage? ARE YOU EFFIN' KIDDING ME?

Only an idiot would buy this, unless the included map packs make up over 70% of the cost, otherwise it's still not even remotely worth it. You know, I have no problem with EA's "Project $10", because they developed the game and deserve to get paid for people using their online servers (which they use on the 360, PS3 and PC, unlike most other publishers). But paying for a service like this is ridiculous. I'm sure Activision will find more ways to try and nickel and dime customers, but I won't be taking part in it.

To be fair: this is not a subscription to play the game. But I'm pretty sure we all know Activision is going to attempt to take it that route gradually.

HAHAHA... Netflix is COMPARABLE to this garbage? ARE YOU EFFIN' KIDDING ME?

Only an idiot would buy this, unless the included map packs make up over 70% of the cost, otherwise it's still not even remotely worth it. You know, I have no problem with EA's "Project $10", because they developed the game and deserve to get paid for people using their online servers (which they use on the 360, PS3 and PC, unlike most other publishers). But paying for a service like this is ridiculous. I'm sure Activision will find more ways to try and nickel and dime customers, but I won't be taking part in it.

To be fair: this is not a subscription to play the game. But I'm pretty sure we all know Activision is going to attempt to take it that route gradually.

Gradually to Activision is one year instalments :p

Activision isn't getting any more of my money. BF3 is where it's at now.

Same, I had my mind made up but I was shocked to read this and refuse; Activision embarking on similar payment schedules as Blizzard does with WoW?? Oh noes! :no:

so instead of DLC they are going to do this? Usually there are three map packs with each release at 15 each. so charge 5ish a month for a year until the next one comes in and it's pretty much even. If they do both then that's a dbag move for sure...

Except its not.

5$ for 12 months = 60 dollars. You'd be paying for 2 full priced games.

It'll also most likely be more than $5 a month. If Activision has anything to do with it.

Except its not.

5$ for 12 months = 60 dollars. You'd be paying for 2 full priced games.

It'll also most likely be more than $5 a month. If Activision has anything to do with it.

but you would think they would give you more content if they are doing ish like this (i know, far fetched idea with kotick...)

Nah..this is the latest from Robert Bowling from IW:

fourzerotwo: COD ELITE is free, for all players, some paid aspects TBD. Absolutely NO fee to play #MW3 multiplayer. Detailed reveal coming tomorrow AM.

I just read the detail and I don't think it would hurt any less than what MS and Sony offers for extra fee. As long as it?s not taking away what they use to offer I'm fine and also releasing DLC at the same time rather than first for subscribers and then for the rest.

fourzerotwo: COD ELITE is free, for all players, some paid aspects TBD. Absolutely NO fee to play #MW3 multiplayer. Detailed reveal coming tomorrow AM.

I should of read.

He's spinning it, that's his job. The WSJ article specifically says some parts of it will be free, and states what parts (which are minor). He's just changing it around to say some of it will cost money, when in reality we all know all the even remotely good stuff will. And the fact that they compared the pricing to Netflix is not a good sign.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7svsm-YYIU