[Photography] My new toy

This is not the poor man's Leica, its the smart man's one. DPReview has it above the Leica X1 and even in most aspects above the M8. I love it.

fujifilm-finepix-x100.jpg

teh monies!

Sancti, just a question, out of ignorance...

Why not just add a wide angle lens to your dSLR ? Besides the "traditional" form factor, I see no use for it :p ( Like I said above, ignorance :laugh: )

Well the M8 does have interchangeable lenses while the X100 does not... then again it's a great buy.

Guppy: This is more compact and discrete than an SLR.

Can it shoot RAW?

Looks damn nice, btw!

Congrats!

Glassed Silver:mac

Was interested, googled the camera to look at it. I then saw the price.

Excuse me a moment while I proceed to pick up my jaw from the floor.

Nice man!

am I not finding the right price?... only looks to be about $1200 CAD...

I mean, I guess that's a lot to justify if you're an average consumer... but why would they buy this?

A lot of pro-lenses alone are double that price

http://www.fujifilm.ca/products/digital_cameras/x/finepix_x100/index.html

Pro DSLR lenses can't be compared to these.

The ONLY thing I see them useful for is "street" photography (and even then it can be limited) or going out w/ friends and you don't want to lug a DSLR.

teh monies!

Sancti, just a question, out of ignorance...

Why not just add a wide angle lens to your dSLR ? Besides the "traditional" form factor, I see no use for it :p ( Like I said above, ignorance :laugh: )

I already have a couple of wide primes. This camera has a great complex lens, a small form factor and the most silent shooter operation in the market. This is exactly what I need for the photo documentary Im doing.

Well the M8 does have interchangeable lenses while the X100 does not... then again it's a great buy.

Guppy: This is more compact and discrete than an SLR.

Yeah but how much does those lenses cost?

Can it shoot RAW?

Looks damn nice, btw!

Congrats!

Glassed Silver:mac

yes, it shoots in raw

its not that expensive, specially if you're looking for a discreet camera for documentary

yea those cameras are a joke unless you're rolling in dough.

no man, those cameras are a joke if you dont know how to take advantage of their characteristics. Why do you keep giving photography advices? From the last coments I've been reading from you its clear that you lack a lot of experience about the many forms of photography.

Nice man!

am I not finding the right price?... only looks to be about $1200 CAD...

I mean, I guess that's a lot to justify if you're an average consumer... but why would they buy this?

A lot of pro-lenses alone are double that price

http://www.fujifilm.ca/products/digital_cameras/x/finepix_x100/index.html

exactly.

Pro DSLR lenses can't be compared to these.

The ONLY thing I see them useful for is "street" photography (and even then it can be limited) or going out w/ friends and you don't want to lug a DSLR.

Do you know what a complex lens is? Tip: is not a lens that is complex.

way to be an ass hole about it...

Hey Im not the one jumping over every photo thread pretending that i know everything about equipment or saying how much other people's choices sucks if they are not dslr because, you know, dslr are the only viable option for everything ;)

Do you know what a complex lens is? BroTip: is not a lens that is complex.

I actually don't know, would you shine a light on us? Google says it's two lens glued together :wacko:

"A complex lens is a group of 2 or more lenses glued together. A complex lens improves the optical quality of a single lens. "

Hey Im not the one jumping over every photo thread pretending that i know everything about equipment or saying how much other people's choices sucks if they are not dslr because, you know, dslr are the only viable option for everything ;)

Everyone is entitled to opinion and every POST/REPLY should be construed as opinion and should be taken as that, opinions!, so if Crazzy want's to go saying that the best camera for any situation is a cheap "Soni 100x MP UltraZOOM magnification", then why not? I for one, think your new camera sucks, because IMO, you can't beat a FX with an ultra wide ultra fast lens :p for any documentary, besides, what kinda documentary is that? a " Can't bring dSLRS because X reason" /joke /sarcasm ( see ?) And that is why precisely you find it useful for your chores and why I asked at the beginning.

Off topic / on topic, what is teh documentary about? Can we see it :p?

A very sexy piece of hardware, I know you'll put it to good use (Y)

Everyone is entitled to opinion and every POST/REPLY should be construed as opinion and should be taken as that, opinions!

Agreed man, but at least give me a reason, something other than "it sucks, because I say so". then I'll take it seriously, specially from someone self-entitled as an expert. I gave my reasons, and they seem valid from my point of view as: 1) I've been doing photography of all kinds for years and 2) I will be visiting places where people can react violently so I need something small, quiet, fast, with great optics, and digital. I could use a 35mm rangefinder but I dont have the time to work with film.

Nice toy!

It's almost as good as my Canon Canonet QL17 GIII!! :shiftyninja:

Awesome camera there. The first one I used. I still remember it fondly. Got crashed under a car two years ago :/

I actually don't know, would you shine a light on us? Google says it's two lens glued together :wacko:

"A complex lens is a group of 2 or more lenses glued together. A complex lens improves the optical quality of a single lens. "

BTW, sorry, forgot to answer this. That is incorrect, or at least its very oversimplified. A complex lens is a lens composed of more glass elements in a single lens body. This is done in order to eliminate variations of quality in the picture. do this into a single focal lens and you have something known as a prime, you know, those things Crazzy says are better than this one... but this is a prime, oh well.

Could you upload some full size sample pics to localhostr or something? Preferably stuff saved to JPG from RAW by Lightroom/Photoshop...

Could you upload some full size sample pics to localhostr or something? Preferably stuff saved to JPG from RAW by Lightroom/Photoshop...

I will once I get home.

The ISO performance of this thing is amazing. At 3200 the noise is beyond belief and at 6400 the picture it's still quite usable. Convert to BW and you have some real pieces.

What about letting us see what you're doing :p ?

Cant, its NSFW. The work it's about acts of exhibition in public gatherings. Concerts, private and public parties, raves, etc. as a study about the redefinition of the boundaries between private and public on recent generations.

My references goes from the documental work of Martha Rosler and the intimate photogray of Nan Goldin.