Manually install printer driver in OS-X?

With OS-X Lion just around the corner, I'm a bit concerned that I won't be able to use my older Samsung ML-1520 printer.

Problem is, the printer uses an installation program which was build for the old PowerPC architecture and requires Rosetta to run. But Rosetta won't be part of Lion as far as I can remember reading it somewhere.

So I'm wondering if it is somehow possible to extract the files from the installation program and manually copy them to the proper place in the OS-X directory?

Check the package contents of the installer (right click the installer and select "Show Package Contents"). It might contain .MPKG or .PKG files you can install manually by double clicking them, then follow the instructions of the Mac OS X Installer application. By doing so you bypass the Samsung Installer that is PPC only. Whether those drivers will be compatible with Mac OS X Lion is a different story altogether.

Do you really need those drivers btw? Won't Mac OS X Snow Leopard prompt you with a Software Update window when connecting the printer? This is the case with the two Canon printers I have at home, I don't need to use the installer disc for that. Mac OS X will just download the necessary drivers by itself.

Check the package contents of the installer (right click the installer and select "Show Package Contents"). It might contain .MPKG or .PKG files you can install manually by double clicking them, then follow the instructions of the Mac OS X Installer application.

Nope, couldn't find any of those file types.

Wouldn't it be possible to find the driver somewhere on my harddrive and copy them to a usb flashdrive?

Once I've run this "ViseX" installation tool, I can select the driver from the "print using" dropdown menu in the 10.6 printer & fax preferences pane.

Add%20Printer.png

Do you really need those drivers btw? Won't Mac OS X Snow Leopard prompt you with a Software Update window when connecting the printer? This is the case with the two Canon printers I have at home, I don't need to use the installer disc for that. Mac OS X will just download the necessary drivers by itself.

The Samsung printer is an rather old model which wasn't properly supported under Mac-OS in the first place. But I have been able to use this printer for the last 3 or 4 years by simply using the driver (ML-1510 instead of ML-1520) for a different Samsung model. Unfortunately that printer doesn't seem to be supported through the Software Update feature. :-/

You might want to check in /Library/Printers/Samsung for anything that might resemble a driver that you can salvage... But I took a look there myself for my printers and it looks like just data files since there are different files stored there for every model.

The ~/Library/Printers/ location is similar but seems to contain the actual apps for the printers.

And /System/Library/Printers/ might also be a place to check, though again, don't hold your breath.

Doing some brief searching I found this... seems to be some universal printer driver: http://www.samsung.com/au/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP01&prd_ia_cd=&prd_mdl_cd=&prd_mdl_name=ML-1710

And in general, you should be able to run your printer off any generic printer driver as long as you only care about the basics of printing. You can also try Pacifist on the old installer to see if you can find any useful files or maybe the location of the drivers: http://www.charlessoft.com/

Try these alternative drivers for Samsung printers.

I think they will also work on 10.7.

Looks good, gonna try them later when I get home.

Do you have a link to the driver package, I can take a look myself for you.

Just uploaded them to Rapidshare