• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Just bought a 550D. Yay!

Colin.B    24

I don't have it yet...Sears is only stocking the T3 in stores now, not the T2i or T3i and seeing as how I ordered it from them I need to wait for shipping.

I opted for the T2i because, well, it's 100 dollars cheaper than the T3i. What I want to know is, is there anything else I should have dropped 799 or less on for a DSLR? I don't know much at all about SLR cameras or tricks of the trade but I plan on making it a hobby quickly once my camera arrives in the mail. I wanted a camera that will also shoot good quality 1080p video at 24FPS without having to shell out the cash for a 900+ camcorder.

Anyways, it seems the T2i is newb friendly and the community here is always knowledgeable and helpful. It's just that it's been a while since I was last asking about cameras and wanted to make sure the T2i still offered some of the best bang for the buck :).

Zain Adeel    197

well i have one aswell that i purchased just this month.

:)

firstly you need a fast mem card to record 1080 vid.. Class 10 as ive read some class 6 dont work well but Class 6 is the minimum recommend in the camera manual and i got Class 4 and it wont record even 720p :(

crazzy88ss    65

Well, in terms of gear, the first 2 items you'll probably want to pick up are 1.) an external flash and 2.) a "nifty fifty," the 50mm f1.8 lens. They're about $90 and it'll offer you some different options/effects than you can get w/ the kit lens. I think just about every single photographer has a 50mm f1.8 or 1.4 lens.

Next is to just shoot what you enjoy and upload photos to our yearly photo thread in this same forum. Welcome aboard!

(Whoa, Sears still exists? :p)

BGM    101

aww thought you meant a BMW 550d :(

disappoint

crazzy88ss    65

1.) Why would that be in Digital Photography forum?

2.) They don't make a 550D

3.) 5 series is too big :p

Colin.B    24

well i have one aswell that i purchased just this month.

:)

firstly you need a fast mem card to record 1080 vid.. Class 10 as ive read some class 6 dont work well but Class 6 is the minimum recommend in the camera manual and i got Class 4 and it wont record even 720p :(

Thanks for the tip! That will definitely come in handy. I'd have just tried any old memory card.

Well, in terms of gear, the first 2 items you'll probably want to pick up are 1.) an external flash and 2.) a "nifty fifty," the 50mm f1.8 lens. They're about $90 and it'll offer you some different options/effects than you can get w/ the kit lens. I think just about every single photographer has a 50mm f1.8 or 1.4 lens.

Next is to just shoot what you enjoy and upload photos to our yearly photo thread in this same forum. Welcome aboard!

(Whoa, Sears still exists? :p)

Yeah, they do! My wife and I were talking about them today - We both thought they were going under. I saw some pics taken with the f1.8 and they look really nice! I was going to ask why the f1.8 and not the f1.4 and then I saw the price difference.... I'll definitely contribute to the thread. First thing I take a picture of, regardless of it being a crappy shot or not will go in there heh.

Zain Adeel    197

if you get a external flash unit that can rotate and such do post which one you bought.

I checked out the Canon ones and they are very expensive.. id rather get a nice lens first.

SojIrOu    4

Good choice of camera (though I'm a Nikon fan). You could take a look at the D5100 for 799 but that does not come with a lens.

As crazzy88ss has already said, the best lens to get you started is a 50mm f/1.8. From there you'll learn about composition instead of using your zoom lens.

Also, try shooting in Av or M modes rather than Auto/Scene modes and you'll learn about exposure and depth of field (DOF) much faster.

I made the mistake of using my DSLR on Auto for the first half of a year and didn't learn a thing till I bought my D7000 which forced me to use those modes. Most of all enjoy shooting with your new camera!

crazzy88ss    65

Yea that's another great tip, so much so I'm repeating it for emphasis :p

You'll actually learn what things do if you shoot in manual or AV. I shoot in Aperture Priority for most of the natural light stuff I do.

Zain Adeel    197

and real the manual once atleast. It will explain all the functions which u might overlook.

Also. do post here if u get a flash unit :p

Colin.B    24

Excellent tips! I was going to keep it off of auto but never thought about Av or aperture priority. Learning about depth of field I think will end up being a hallmark for decent shots heh.

As for an external flash, I was looking at : http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20435671.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Shopping%20Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=gbase - Canon 420EX

Cheaper than the 430 with almost as much power.

Zain Adeel    197

this is nice.. its not that expensive.. i looked up for the 430EX II it was for $300

i wonder whats the main difference for such a price difference.

Colin.B    24

this is nice.. its not that expensive.. i looked up for the 430EX II it was for $300

i wonder whats the main difference for such a price difference.

This is a direct quote from someone's post on another site. I don't claim ownership or....Understanding what some of it means :p

"Basically the 430 gives you manually variable power output from full power to 1/64 power and automatic selection of camera white-balance settings and auto-adjustment of zoom flash position to match camera's sensor size.

It also has an LCD panel and some custom functions. "

Zain Adeel    197

understandable for the zoom flash position..

but i thought the variable power output was a standard :s

thanks for the info DigitalManifestations

remus_lupin    10

Excellent tips! I was going to keep it off of auto but never thought about Av or aperture priority. Learning about depth of field I think will end up being a hallmark for decent shots heh.

Just to emphasize FURTHER along with the others. Aperture priority is great, I am not a manual kind of guy... takes too long to switch both dials IMO lol (unless there is constant lighting, then set up once and good to go)... Aperture priority is MUCH faster (as you only worry about aperture then shutter speed is adjusted accordingly to get the "correct" exposure).. when you go into situations where there is either a lot of dark or light, you adjust with exposure compensation... Alternatively, you can switch your metering mode to spot metering opposed to an overall image average so something like a bright window the left doesn't interfere with the exposure you want on your subject which is on the right... etc. etc. You'll learn all the little things with time/experience

understandable for the zoom flash position..

but i thought the variable power output was a standard :s

thanks for the info DigitalManifestations

Lol, I just pictured a flash that only went off at full power no matter what your subject was lol, that would NOT be safe, people would hate you for taking their picture... The quote means was it will go from 1/1 power to 1/64th power, whereas other flashes can go further such as 1/128th power

Zain Adeel    197

oh thx remus for that :)

that looks like a great unit then for the price.

Colin.B    24

So I love this camera. I love the quality, the weight, the look, the sexy shutter sound you don't hear on point and clicks.

I don't love my lack of skill with night shots. It seems day time shots are much easier to pull off. Night shots with the kit lens aren't capturing the true to life colour/light that I'm seeing very closely. It's my own lack of understanding of a lot of what I'm doing so I'll get the hang of it.

Also, indoor shots with natural lighting look kind of drab....But then again, it's probably all about the lighting inside. For example the picture of my daughter seems a bit less clear than the other one...To me anyways...Then again on second glance it looks fine. Bah. I'm nitpicking. I'll get the hang of it.post-45347-0-08953000-1308028544.jpg

post-45347-0-86116000-1308028499.jpg

Zain Adeel    197

that shot of ur daughter looks really nice..

the colors are perfect..

just tad less light in the eyes... if you wouldve overexposed just a bit i think the detail would pop out.

Colin.B    24

Newbie question but...How would I go about overexposing? :(

And thank you for your continued input!

Argote    73

To over expose it depends

A) If you are in Manual mode: Just move the settings to a longer exposure, wider aperture or higher ISO in such a way that your exposure meter is above 0.

B) If you are in any other mode: Set your exposure compensation to positive (i.e. +2) you should have an exposure button labeled something like "+/-"

Shaun N.    569

My Wife has just ordered this for my birthday/xmas present and It'll be here on Monday. Were having another baby in November and she mainly got it so I can film the section. I'm extremely interested in any further shots you have done since the summer Digital.