HTML5 to Flash converter?

Question

Heya guys,

I'm looking for an application that will let me convert HTML5 with sources (images, videos, animations, etc... the full bang) to flash (Mac OS X much prefered, Windows and ok, if there is no way around it: Linux... Oh and iOS, should there really be such an app (haha... probably not :p)).

I'm about to create my photography website in HTML5 and want to offer a flash version for backwards compatibility.

Thank you for your input in advance!

Glassed Silver:mac

PS: Yes, a short and simply question by me, finally! :laugh:

8 answers to this question

To be honest... I think you might be looking at it the wrong way entirely.

The reason I'm saying this is that some of HTML5's features like the Canvas element are rendered dynamically by the browser - they are not saved as static files anywhere. I presume you are talking about saving data from the HTML5 Canvas element? And as far as I am aware, no such tools exist to let you achieve what you want to do :( .

I would suggest just building the website in XHTML, and if you really want to, use a few HTML5 specific elements in there.

Take a look here for HTML5 specific elements - W3C HTML5 Elements (look for the elements with [New])

Once you start using these elements, I guess you could say your website is HTML5?

Then build the same site again in Flash... (really? :D )

Good luck!

Oh just one more thing, Adobe are currently working on a tool to convert Flash into HTML5... but not the other way around!

Oh just one more thing, Adobe are currently working on a tool to convert Flash into HTML5... but not the other way around!

Yes, you can't really make HTML5 into Flash because HTML5 is inferior to Flash in capabilities. HTML5 is really just a fraction of features in Flash and converting JS to AS3 is like going from a Mercedes to a Yugo and in many cases it's not possible because Javascript is not an Object oriented language, AS3 is. It would be INCREDIBLY hard to do it and it would be pointless.

Just go and build everything in Flash and AS3. It is much easier to convert AS3 and Flash to simpler, less capable HTML5 version than the other way around. HTML5 is a good fallback thing and if you need to do simpler things that don't require any access to hardware like mic or camera or anything similar. Not to mention some advanced features with sound and video and so on. These are all things that are just lacking A LOT in HTML5 and are simply very limited.

Once you build stuff in Flash/AS3 natively, you can then try using Jangaroo or ParticleCode to create a fallback versions in HTML5 from the same code if you need to.

Boz, that's a helluva downspeed you have there!!!

Well it's true. I'm not dissing HTML5 per se. I'm dissing it in comparison to Flash really because I build with both and while I can do quite a few nice things with HTML5 and canvas and JQuery and CSS3, it's still very raw and not as optimized and lacks MANY features I have in Flash/AS3. Not to mention the fact that with HTML5 I have to code every single thing and lose so much time testing and testing and then adjusting code and testing just to get visual elements working. Then use stuff like Modernizr to make sure some things are not so much broken on older browser.. It's just waaaaay to much hassle for the fraction of what Flash gives me as a coder and app developer.

The only thing I can think of that would require a flash fallback is <canvas>, <video> and <audio>, you shouldn't ever be putting menus or blocks of text into Flash applets.

The only thing I can think of that would require a flash fallback is <canvas>, <video> and <audio>, you shouldn't ever be putting menus or blocks of text into Flash applets.

Heh, which are basically the biggest things HTML5 is praised for :)

People shouldn't be building blog like sites in Flash really, but text in Flash applications is not an issue. Google worked with Adobe so you can make all content inside Flash searchable. That's not an issue anymore.

Do you have any examples of the types of things that wouldn't be backwards compatible? Except for video, audio, and canvas, HTML5 should degrade fairly gracefully (maybe with a shiv script so older browsers can support the newer elements like header, section and aside).

I'm actually looking at Hype for Mac to get the HTML5 done.

(yes I know...)

Glassed Silver:mac