Invision Power Board 3.2.0 nears..

+1 at that question.

I'm still holding off before moving my server over..

I was really hoping Neobond could share his upgrade experiences.. "For the greater good" O.o

/headdesk @ half those bug reports.

"CSS Went Bye Bye".

/headdesk again

I need to work out whether my skin is going to need rewriting again :\

/headdesk @ half those bug reports.

"CSS Went Bye Bye".

/headdesk again

I need to work out whether my skin is going to need rewriting again :\

skins form 3.1 wont work on 3.2 will have to redo them as templates and css has changed

skins form 3.1 wont work on 3.2 will have to redo them as templates and css has changed

which is pretty much the case with EVERY .x version jump

• 1 month later...

Weren't you guys going to build your own in-house forum solution? (Even though sounds kinda not worth it IMO)

Unless they plan on selling it. :shiftyninja:

Wouldn?t it take years and thousands of dollars of development (or thousands of spare time hours?) to start a new forum from scratch and bring it on par with Invision Board 3.2 ?

If they don?t plan on selling it, it?s not a viable solution in my book.

Wouldn?t it take years and thousands of dollars of development (or thousands of spare time hours?) to start a new forum from scratch and bring it on par with Invision Board 3.2 ?

No.

If they don?t plan on selling it, it?s not a viable solution in my book.

Not really no, because they'll just develop the features they need how they need them rather than building a whole lot of features that they won't even use. Plus it would be a team of several developers from the start... unlike those like IPB, XenForo, etc. that are one or two devs developing from 0.

Not really no, because they'll just develop the features they need how they need them rather than building a whole lot of features that they won't even use. Plus it would be a team of several developers from the start... unlike those like IPB, XenForo, etc. that are one or two devs developing from 0.

You?re right about that, but it doesn?t convince me. The business license of IPB 3.2 costs $350 or $50/6 months and you?re getting free maintenance updates with that.

If a Neowin developer alone is paid very cheaply, say $15/hour, he needs to develop a forum in under 23 hours, or else it?s less expensive to go the IPB route. 23 hours of development even for the simplest forum out there, this is impossible. Or maybe the Neowin devs work for free because they like it?

You?re right about that, but it doesn?t convince me. The business license of IPB 3.2 costs $350 or $50/6 months and you?re getting free maintenance updates with that.

If a Neowin developer alone is paid very cheaply, say $15/hour, he needs to develop a forum in under 23 hours, or else it?s less expensive to go the IPB route. 23 hours of development even for the simplest forum out there, this is impossible. Or maybe the Neowin devs work for free because they like it?

Every time Neowin updates the forums the developers need to reskin and update the custom mods the site uses. If they can control their own software they can make things easier for themselves in the long term. IPB 3.2 has been out for a while now, but still the new forums aren't ready. With an inhouse system it'll be more controlled.

En plus, IPB doesn't agree with large boards too well.

"Doesn't agree" w/ large boards? The caching system is very nice. The search (Simple SQL, Fultext, or Sphinx) is quick. What else?

Not entirely true, the search system and some moderation tasks really doesn't work well with large databases, and from what I uinderstand there are no plans to concentrate efforts for large sites like ours in that respect either.

We have to do our own optimizations in order for it to run decent with the database we have.

The change from 2 to 3.0 killed the site because of the fact that much of the database needed changing, and search engines had to reindex our site, in that respect little thought was given to sites with huge databases ;)

If a Neowin developer alone is paid very cheaply, say $15/hour, he needs to develop a forum in under 23 hours, or else it?s less expensive to go the IPB route. 23 hours of development even for the simplest forum out there, this is impossible.

You are right. People always jump ahead thinking that it's fun and easy to develop new software, and they'll get it right where others didn't. It's simply not true, and you are more accurate in your first estimation. :D

Every time Neowin updates the forums the developers need to reskin and update the custom mods the site uses.

Ah. This convinces me a little more, but still. You?ve got to see on long term before receiving any payback.

I?d be really curious to do a deeper study about that, how much it would cost over 5 years to go the IPB route, or the custom home-made forum route. I still can?t believe the custom forums to be less expensive, while being better than what IPB has to offer.

Neobond, being the admin of this site, I think you have the best position amongst us to enlighten me about the subject. In my career I might have to make choices like yours and even if money isn?t the sole argument, it?s what drives the directors and presidents of this world. If there?s anything more I can understand in choosing and deploying large software, I?d be glad to learn from that.

Every time Neowin updates the forums the developers need to reskin and update the custom mods the site uses. If they can control their own software they can make things easier for themselves in the long term. IPB 3.2 has been out for a while now, but still the new forums aren't ready. With an inhouse system it'll be more controlled.

It may have been out for awhile, but there are still very few mods for the new system.

Oh, I'm not saying that it's cheaper, definitely not, but I'm just saying it wouldn't take years and thousands of dollars like KavazovAngel said.

Oh, I'm not saying that it's cheaper, definitely not, but I'm just saying it wouldn't take years and thousands of dollars like KavazovAngel said.

Not entirely true, our CMS has already cost thousands of dollars and a good few years of development and we're still developing it.

Personally I don't see the point in launching another major project when we have a solution already in IPB.

Not entirely true, our CMS has already cost thousands of dollars and a good few years of development and we're still developing it.

Personally I don't see the point in launching another major project when we have a solution already in IPB.

I'd rather you guys stick with IPB. I was just asking since I read a while back you guys wanted to develop your own forum solution. IPB is just fine. :) Otherwise go for XenForo... haha.

Oh so you AREN'T going for a custom forum. I swear I saw you wanted this over IPB 3.2.

And yes, like Neobond says, websites do cost a few thousands of dollars if you pay everyone accordingly. There's always the solution to let everyone do it in their spare time, but will you be as motivated to do a perfect project, I don't think so ...

I'd certainly be interested in a new forum software made by Neowin.

I currently run IPB 3.1 as Neowin does and I am not a fan of 3.2, in almost every way. I also don't like Xenforo or vbulletin. Is this the way things are going though? I can't see the attraction and Neowin has always has a better skin than the default IPB skin, if I was you I'd take a chance because there is a big chance you'll reap massive rewards from it the way things stand... thats just assuming you'd make the forum available to others.