Is there a danger in the water we drink?

Dasani = Coca-Cola

Aquafina = Pepsi

Indeed. Aquafina doesn't purify theirs that way to my knowledge. I think theirs is mostly locally bottled. I know this because the consistency of Aquafina is always the same as the tap water (aka the hardness/softness/trace flavour) in the area, whereas I find Dasani to be consistent everywhere I go.

The "minerals" Coke adds to Dasani are mainly sodium chloride (table salt), potassium chloride (table salt substitute) and magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts)

The "minerals" Coke adds to Dasani are sodium chloride (table salt), potassium chloride and magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts)

Right again :) I was looking around for my bottle when I was talking about this earlier, but I appear to have lost it. I think I left it in someone's office when I was fixing their PC. :laugh:

Either way, it definitely works for me. Tastes and has the mouthfeel of the water in Greenville, SC, where I lived for a long time. That city at one time was rated as having the cleanest water in the US.

Here in Roswell :alien: , our tap water tastes like it was cleaned with soap. The damn water is so nasty it makes me vomit when I drink it. So I have to resort to Reverse Osmosis treatment at my place, and carry bottled water everywhere I go.

Here in Roswell :alien: , our tap water tastes like it was cleaned with soap. The damn water is so nasty it makes me vomit when I drink it. So I have to resort to Reverse Osmosis treatment at my place, and carry bottled water everywhere I go.

Thats cause they are trying to clean your brains of the information you might have about aliens :D

Where does your water come from in Roswell? Water Tower/treatment plant etc?

I'm trying to convince myself to pay for a reverse osmosis filter--I'm sure it would save me money in the long run over buying the bottled stuff--but I don't go through it too quickly and it's hard to justify spending the money at one time. I'll save up, though. Does it work really well?

At least in US and Canada, tap water is pretty safe. I can't speak for other countries though, I definitely wouldn't drink tap water while vacationing somewhere that isn't a developed nation.

There have been recent studies though into how effective the waste treatment of water is, waste treatment takes out larger items such as waste, as well as clears out specific chemicals, but they've found that it doesn't remove products or byproducts which are metabolized by the body after taking medication. These biomolecules can sometimes still be active once it's through the body and is simply put out as waste. One example of why this is bad is let's say your body doesn't fully metabolize the antibiotics you take, typically the broad spectrum antibiotics which the doctors prescribe to you to saturate your body with it, you end up urinating it out. These still active antibiotics can go right through waste treatment into rivers contributing to drug resistant bacterial strains. A less serious but good example is birth control, hormones also aren't screened through waste treatment and estrogen is pumped into rivers. Doesn't seem to be a big issue now, but we don't know how this will effect animals down the line. There's a multitude of biomolecular products from medication that doesn't get taken out, but since the dawn of medicine and water treatment, it doesn't seem like there have been any serious adverse effects... that we know of anyways.

I also heard the same, but that was when I lived in Texas and all the fluorine and lithium added to the water hahaha.

It works very good, but you have to pay around 2500 for a decent filtration system. Our water comes from underground and it is riddled with minerals, the water is cleaned with chrlorine.

Just look around you and see what everyone else is doing. If they are fine and drinking the water then you should be fine. These days with everyone telling us this is not ok to eat or drink but this is etc..etc its a wonder we are not all living in a plastic bubble sipping stertile mush and water. I grew up in a era when if you were thirsty and there was a garden hose you turned it on and got a drink or when you went swimming although not intentionally, I drank the water...... so what if I have eleven fingers and a third eye in my head..................:)

Just look around you and see what everyone else is doing. If they are fine and drinking the water then you should be fine. These days with everyone telling us this is not ok to eat or drink but this is etc..etc its a wonder we are not all living in a plastic bubble sipping stertile mush and water. I grew up in a era when if you were thirsty and there was a garden hose you turned it on and got a drink or when you went swimming although not intentionally, I drank the water...... so what if I have eleven fingers and a third eye in my head..................:)

Haha, I still drink from the garden hose... maybe not the swimming one...

Tap water for almost a majority of the time, unless I'm specifically told that there is a problem with the water.

I'm sure we're all far too scared about bacteria and germs. Sure in some cases it's warranted, but if you don't subject your body to the less dangerous varieties then your body won't form a defence against it for the future.

That's how I look at it at least.

I drink distilled as much as possible :)

I hope you also take the vitamins to substitute for the minerals found in water.

i've lived in some buildings in the US where the water tasted like rusted lead, and in places where it was sweet and tasty.

:rolleyes: If it tasted like rust, then it was probably travelling through iron or steel pipes, which should be fine. If it actually tasted sweet, then you might want to worry, because that is actually a sign that it was travelling through lead pipes, which might lead to lead poisoning. There's no such thing as "rusty lead" since "rust" is iron oxide. Lead oxide (which is what I assume you meant) would have been what made the other water taste sweet, and it is dangerous.

mmm yum i'll have some of that tap water with the lovely hexafluorosilicic acid added, to increase cancer rates.

I'd rather drink the bacteria thanks as my body has evolved to deal with them and some are useful to me. thanks.

Why?

• fluoridation chemicals were once used as pesticides.
  • That they are registered as poisons under the 1972 Poisons Act, in the same group of toxins as arsenic, mercury and paraquat?
  • That there is considerable evidence that it does not reduce levels of tooth decay.
  • Although fluoride is scientifically classed as more toxic than lead, the Government allows 20 times as much fluoride as lead in drinking water.
  • The fluoride added to drinking water isn?t the pharmaceutical grade stuff added to toothpaste.
  • It?s hexafluorosilicic acid derived from an industrial process... It comes from the pollution scrubber from an aluminium factory. Basically it's a hazardous industrial waste that is illegal to dump at sea, oh and it's used as rat poison.
  • It also contains small amounts of impurities such as lead, mercury, beryllium and arsenic.

mmmmmm nice.

go check: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexafluorosilicic_acid

mmm yum i'll have some of that tap water with the lovely hexafluorosilicic acid added, to increase cancer rates.

I'd rather drink the bacteria thanks as my body has evolved to deal with them and some are useful to me. thanks.

Why?

• fluoridation chemicals were once used as pesticides.
  • That they are registered as poisons under the 1972 Poisons Act, in the same group of toxins as arsenic, mercury and paraquat?
  • That there is considerable evidence that it does not reduce levels of tooth decay.
  • Although fluoride is scientifically classed as more toxic than lead, the Government allows 20 times as much fluoride as lead in drinking water.
  • The fluoride added to drinking water isn?t the pharmaceutical grade stuff added to toothpaste.
  • It?s hexafluorosilicic acid derived from an industrial process... It comes from the pollution scrubber from an aluminium factory. Basically it's a hazardous industrial waste that is illegal to dump at sea, oh and it's used as rat poison.
  • It also contains small amounts of impurities such as lead, mercury, beryllium and arsenic.

mmmmmm nice.

go check: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexafluorosilicic_acid

And Beer is a type of poison but people still drink that and its legal AND fun, but it can kill you

Anaesthetic is also a form of poison and yet you wouldn't want an operation without any, but enough can kill you

Cheese and penicillin are moulds and are beneficial

So whats your point? There are things in this world which when used in sufficient quantities will kill you but used in small doses correctly are beneficial to health

I drink distilled as much as possible :)

Distilled water and demineralised water is not safe to drink my dear Hum. It causes diarrhea which will dehydrate and you need salts for your body to function properly. Even drinking isotone sport drinks is not optimal. What you should drink is hypertone water (with a little bit more minerals than you need) because you sweat out salts. If you only drink distilled water you will end up with hyponatremia assuming you don't eat enough other salts. If you are then rushed to the hospital and they give you an infuse with water, they will dilute the salts even more, which can cause a coma, and this is a mistake that a lot of doctors make.

So I hope you were kidding ;)

Distilled water and demineralised water is not safe to drink my dear Hum. It causes diarrhea which will dehydrate and you need salts for your body to function properly. Even drinking isotone sport drinks is not optimal. What you should drink is hypertone water (with a little bit more minerals than you need) because you sweat out salts. If you only drink distilled water you will end up with hyponatremia assuming you don't eat enough other salts. If you are then rushed to the hospital and they give you an infuse with water, they will dilute the salts even more, which can cause a coma, and this is a mistake that a lot of doctors make.

So I hope you were kidding ;)

Yes, that is true... and I don't know about you guys, but I always feel thirstier after drinking distilled water. Mouth feels dry or something. Very odd.

Cheese and penicillin are moulds and are beneficial

Penicillin is indeed found in certain cheeses, but the problem with antibiotics is that they also kill the majority of the microbiotics that live in your bowels, which is not something I'd call beneficial at all ;)

Many bottled waters that you see in supermarkets are just bottled tap water despite pictures of mountains and streams.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Pepsi-Cola announced Friday that the labels of its Aquafina brand bottled water will be changed to make it clear the product is tap water.

Coca-Cola does not have plans to change the labeling on its Dasani brand bottled water, a company spokesman told CNN, despite the fact the water also comes from a public water supply.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/27/news/companies/pepsi_coke/

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0304-04.htm

Taiwan's bottled water has run into trouble, removed from the shelf of supermarket.

I used to drink table water, because I dislike the odor of boiled tap water. Even if I don't care about the odor, the question remains: is the tap water safe?

I don't know how a city's waste water treatment system works. There are many labs run molecular biology experiments. The researchers dump PCR gel electrophoresis liquid into water tanks after their experiments. How the water treatment system gets rid of the poisonous micromolecules contained in the dumped liquid?

My country's tap water is very clean :D

Penicillin is indeed found in certain cheeses, but the problem with antibiotics is that they also kill the majority of the microbiotics that live in your bowels, which is not something I'd call beneficial at all ;)

This is true however when taking antibiotics of this strength (which is only prescribed when really needed) is most likely to give you the side affect of indigestion/diarrhoea, this can in turn be easily managed. The alternative in the cases I have had prescribed drugs of this caliber is loosing a toe or foot, or another alternative which is very very unpleasent. This versus the temporary and easily recovery of bowel upset is no competition in my book

There is danger in everything on this planet. But i personally would touch any water from India, no offense :p

I live in a rural area, closest towns are 17 miles away and they're just small towns, so i have rural water, which they do have tiny water towers for here and there, but the water here is SUPER clean, and clear. Which is crazy. Much cleaner than the towns water, and other cities.

i never understood why this is. I actually have friends that come over and fill up jugs of water to take home with them to drink because its so clear and taste good.

City water has small amounts of cholorine added to ensure there is no E.Coli present. Perhaps your friends like the taste of chlorine-free water.