Bought a Canon 500D today!

Took the plunge and bougth my first srl today, came with two lenses a 18-55 and a 75-300.

Looked like a good camera to start with, next thing on my wish list is a tripod.

Can't wait for the weather to clear up so that i can take some shots.

Nice camera :). Coming with two lenses is always nice - Especially a telephoto one. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the camera with the extra lens?

Nice camera :). Coming with two lenses is always nice - Especially a telephoto one. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the camera with the extra lens?

I paid 499 euro's for the camera and both lenses. Was a real steel in my opinion had been browsing the store on Saterday and they asked 579.

Then this morning i checked there website and i saw they had a special offer on all camera gear. Now i got the camera+lenses, a nice Canon bag to store my gear in, a uv filter and a 3 year insurance. for the same amount of money. :yes:

It pays of to be patient :D

Not a bad deal man! Yeah will be nice when the weather gets better to go out shooting again. I am looking for an upgrade just need to save up though going to take a while.

Not a bad deal man! Yeah will be nice when the weather gets better to go out shooting again. I am looking for an upgrade just need to save up though going to take a while.

To which camera are you planning on upgrading?

To which camera are you planning on upgrading?

Well Im thinking on a Nikon D7000. Looks really great and will work perfect with my Samyang 8mm as it wont cut off the corners! Be nice to have HD video as well.

Well Im thinking on a Nikon D7000. Looks really great and will work perfect with my Samyang 8mm as it wont cut off the corners! Be nice to have HD video as well.

I am guessing you only bought the canon then because of the good deal?...

Unless you plan on selling the canon and two lenses when you purchase the D7000 (if you do) I would say you went the wrong way; try to brand hop as little as possible (preferably never).

But again, if you planned on buying the camera then selling it, then I guess it doesn't matter either way. OR if you wanted both I guess that's okay to, but most people tend to pick one brand and stick with it...

Is that 3 year insurance owner-transferable? (I am guessing most are) Because if you DID plan on selling it that would be great!

going along with the above line, if you keep the camera for the full three years you won't be purchasing the D7000, again assuming you don't own both.

I am guessing you only bought the canon then because of the good deal?...

Unless you plan on selling the canon and two lenses when you purchase the D7000 (if you do) I would say you went the wrong way; try to brand hop as little as possible (preferably never).

But again, if you planned on buying the camera then selling it, then I guess it doesn't matter either way. OR if you wanted both I guess that's okay to, but most people tend to pick one brand and stick with it...

Is that 3 year insurance owner-transferable? (I am guessing most are) Because if you DID plan on selling it that would be great!

going along with the above line, if you keep the camera for the full three years you won't be purchasing the D7000, again assuming you don't own both.

I think you are confusing me with Witalit he is planning on upgrading to to a Nikon D7000 not me :laugh:

I think you are confusing me with Witalit he is planning on upgrading to to a Nikon D7000 not me :laugh:

yes, yes I did.

fail.

Took the plunge and bougth my first srl today, came with two lenses a 18-55 and a 75-300.

Looked like a good camera to start with, next thing on my wish list is a tripod.

Can't wait for the weather to clear up so that i can take some shots.

Well since we're on this topic I thought I'd share my story. Around Christmas I bought myself the Canon EOS Rebel T1i which is the 500D in Europe that came with the 18-55mm IS kit lens, the 55-250mm IS telephoto lens, an 8GB Class 6 SD card and a case as well as 2 year warranty on top of the 1YR Canon warranty. Including tax this was 1021 CAD which is roughly 730 euros. On boxing day I bought the 50mm f/1.8 lens since it was $89.99 and I think everybody should own that lens. It is the cheapest Canon lens you can buy (yes, the housing and mount are all plastic) but it is one of the sharpest. I used the camera almost every day and spent almost all my free time learning and experimenting with it. Photography podcasts and youtube videos on photography tutorials really helped me. I don't think there is really much value in spending thousands on photography classes because you can find all that information in video podcasts and professionals' youtube channels. I grew out of it quite quickly as I started to move on to HDR photography and sports photography where I really needed a fast burst rate but other than that the camera is perfect. I just sold it for close to what I paid (including some things I threw in which I bought since) and got the 7D.

For podcasts I really like "The Art of Photography" by Ted Forbes as well as Chris Marquardt's "Tips From The Top Floor". For youtube I like "FontanaKnowledge" "newtophoto", "PhotoExtremist" and "rickjbradbury". Another great youtube channel I subscribe to is "DigitalRevCom" where they compare lenses, give you buying tips on lenses and put those lenses through their paces. They do so in a very entertaining way and really get you excited about photography.

One thing though, you got the 75-300mm telephoto lens which doesn't have image stabilization. That is fine, however, know that if you plan on shooting with it you might want to get a tripod or monopod especially when you are shooting in less than desired light. When using a non-IS lens WITHOUT a tripod a useful tip for finding the slowest usable shutter speed that will give you almost no blur is you take the focal length so for your 75-300 let's say you are zoomed in at 125mm so the slowest shutter speed you should be using is 1/125 or whatever shutter speed is closest to that on your camera.

Another tip is to invest in a couple UV filters for your lenses. They really do nothing except protect your glass from dust, fingerprints or an accidental bump. This may not be that relevant until you invest in more expensive lenses but some basic UV filters should not cost you more than $20 or roughly 14 euros each. If you break or scratch them you'll be out 14 euros instead of 300 euros or more. Happy shooting and have fun!

Congratulations. It will be a while till you outgrown that camera. I'm surprised the tripod wasn't included in the deal. Anyhow, you'll know what you need as you go, as you reach the limitations of your gear. Have fun.

When using a non-IS lens WITHOUT a tripod a useful tip for finding the slowest usable shutter speed that will give you almost no blur is you take the focal length so for your 75-300 let's say you are zoomed in at 125mm so the slowest shutter speed you should be using is 1/125 or whatever shutter speed is closest to that on your camera.

Keep in mind this is assuming you're using an FX lens on an FX format camera; if you are using say Nikon's equivalent DX format sensor you have to multiply your focal length by 1.5x, I believe it is 1.6x for canons APS-C sensor size

So in effect, at 125mm on your 500D would be equal to 200mm on a full-frame camera, so really you should try to keep your shutter speed above 1/200th of a second (again as ManOfMystery mentions, assuming you do not have OS/IS/VR)

You may be able to shoot slower, or maybe have to shoot faster, that will depend on you and how still you can keep your hands (and in some cases the subject)

Well since we're on this topic I thought I'd share my story. Around Christmas I bought myself the Canon EOS Rebel T1i which is the 500D in Europe that came with the 18-55mm IS kit lens, the 55-250mm IS telephoto lens, an 8GB Class 6 SD card and a case as well as 2 year warranty on top of the 1YR Canon warranty. Including tax this was 1021 CAD which is roughly 730 euros. On boxing day I bought the 50mm f/1.8 lens since it was $89.99 and I think everybody should own that lens. It is the cheapest Canon lens you can buy (yes, the housing and mount are all plastic) but it is one of the sharpest. I used the camera almost every day and spent almost all my free time learning and experimenting with it. Photography podcasts and youtube videos on photography tutorials really helped me. I don't think there is really much value in spending thousands on photography classes because you can find all that information in video podcasts and professionals' youtube channels. I grew out of it quite quickly as I started to move on to HDR photography and sports photography where I really needed a fast burst rate but other than that the camera is perfect. I just sold it for close to what I paid (including some things I threw in which I bought since) and got the 7D.

For podcasts I really like "The Art of Photography" by Ted Forbes as well as Chris Marquardt's "Tips From The Top Floor". For youtube I like "FontanaKnowledge" "newtophoto", "PhotoExtremist" and "rickjbradbury". Another great youtube channel I subscribe to is "DigitalRevCom" where they compare lenses, give you buying tips on lenses and put those lenses through their paces. They do so in a very entertaining way and really get you excited about photography.

One thing though, you got the 75-300mm telephoto lens which doesn't have image stabilization. That is fine, however, know that if you plan on shooting with it you might want to get a tripod or monopod especially when you are shooting in less than desired light. When using a non-IS lens WITHOUT a tripod a useful tip for finding the slowest usable shutter speed that will give you almost no blur is you take the focal length so for your 75-300 let's say you are zoomed in at 125mm so the slowest shutter speed you should be using is 1/125 or whatever shutter speed is closest to that on your camera.

Another tip is to invest in a couple UV filters for your lenses. They really do nothing except protect your glass from dust, fingerprints or an accidental bump. This may not be that relevant until you invest in more expensive lenses but some basic UV filters should not cost you more than $20 or roughly 14 euros each. If you break or scratch them you'll be out 14 euros instead of 300 euros or more. Happy shooting and have fun!

Already invested in a couple of UV filters, a tripod is next on my list. And thanks for the tips on the video's definitely going to check those out.