Armchair Astronomer Finds 'Evidence' of Life on Mars

NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab is investigating a California armchair astronomer's claim that a white, fuzzy image on the red planet's surface might be evidence of life.

David Martines' YouTube video is heading for viral status after he uploaded a flyby of Google Earth's Mars explorer zooming in on a white, cylindrical object.

The object, according to Martines, is "about 700 feet long and 150 feet wide." He's calling it "Bio Station Alpha, because I'm just assuming that something lives in it or has lived in it."

His video was uploaded May 28, and has already been watched nearly 750,000 times.

A spokesman for NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab told FoxNews.com it was investigating the wild claims, speculating that "Bio Station Alpha" would most likely be determined to be a glitch in the digital imaging or an unusual feature on the surface of the planet -- and not a Martian base.

NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab is investigating a California armchair astronomer's claim that a white, fuzzy image on the red planet's surface might be evidence of life.

David Martines' YouTube video is heading for viral status after he uploaded a flyby of Google Earth's Mars explorer zooming in on a white, cylindrical object.

thebsa.JPG

The object, according to Martines, is "about 700 feet long and 150 feet wide." He's calling it "Bio Station Alpha, because I'm just assuming that something lives in it or has lived in it."

His video was uploaded May 28, and has already been watched nearly 750,000 times.

A spokesman for NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab told FoxNews.com it was investigating the wild claims, speculating that "Bio Station Alpha" would most likely be determined to be a glitch in the digital imaging or an unusual feature on the surface of the planet -- and not a Martian base.

more

It's that colony the USA has already started on Mars, using Alien technology. :shiftyninja:

This is why there is no big push to get to Mars.

It's that colony the USA has already started on Mars, using Alien technology. :shiftyninja:

This is why there is no big push to get to Mars.

Do you honestly believe every piece of junk that comes across your screen?

Someones sarcasm detector is broken

Have you read his other post? I wouldnt put it past him to think Santa Clause is real and the conspiracy is to make kids think he isnt.

Have you read his other post? I wouldnt put it past him to think Santa Clause is real and the conspiracy is to make kids think he isnt.

Apparently you don't know Hum very well :p

looks like a glitch. even the pixels around it don't match the rest of the surroundings.

I wouldn't look into the fact that the surrounding pixels don't match too much - that just tends to be a side effect of JPEG compression.

looks like a glitch. even the pixels around it don't match the rest of the surroundings.

One way to find out -- rephotograph the area, with a hi-rez camera. ;)

If you watch the actutal video, it's hard to call it a mere glitch.

BRT Hum, grabbing my camera now..

Do you want to ride a unicorn to Mars to take the photos?

How did you people not work out he was joking. For the love of god, he even added a little ninja smiley.

Some people should have been drowned at birth :\

How did you people not work out he was joking. For the love of god, he even added a little ninja smiley.

Some people should have been drowned at birth :\

Odd the News editors didn't take it as a joke. ;)

Martines is seeking help finding a higher resolution image, if it exists.

So the media still goes nuts over image glitches on Google Earth?

Anyway, NASA have a high resolution camera in orbit over Mars, and (this is awesome) allow the public to request pictures to be taken of certain co-ordinates. As you can expect there have already been requests to have this section photographed. While they haven't been fulfilled yet, there are existing pictures of that section of the surface, and they show no alien structure.

So obviously NASA is in on it, etc. (repeat excuses why here)

Edit: Actually, it's the University of Arizona that run the camera, they're the ones who allow public requests.

The reason the pixels don't seem to match in the surrounding area is the cloaking field was failing at the time the picture was taken so it was unevenly warping the terrain around the structure

OR

Its a stitching error when the photos were assembled

OR

Its just an artifact when the photo was taken

OR

Glitch in transmission/reception of the data

I think its the first one ;) :alien:

Someone isn't too familiar with Hum and his beliefs

I have no beliefs, about the silver artifact, one way or another.

It could be a patch of ice, or a crashed Martain probe, from years ago.

NASA is not always a reliable source for explanations.

It could be a man-made base.

Nothing is impossible.

One way to find out -- rephotograph the area, with a hi-rez camera. ;)

If you watch the actutal video, it's hard to call it a mere glitch.

You mean it's not your house?

I can't get the article to load for some reason. The NASA spokesmen isn't Jim Oberg is it? I wouldn't listen to anything that guy says when it comes to the official word from NASA.

That guy is well known for saying things simply because he's being paid by NASA. He has in fact admitted to not believing some of the things they have him say, but he still does it anyway. You can't trust anything coming out of the guys mouth. He does it for the money and he actually comes off as an internet troll when he's in his debunking mode. He throws out insults left and right when people ignore him. I enjoy watching that part of it. Ask for his opinions and he never gives a straight answer and starts by saying "I imagine".

If he's connected to this, don't listen to a word he says.