• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 4 changes

ThothTD    1

Have you noticed any changes in developer preview 4 in Mac OS X Lion (10.7)?

I've only just installed it.

I see the Mission control system pref pane has change, much better.

post-290994-0-85646400-1307491663.png

What have you noticed?

DeadEndAccount    508
Have you noticed any changes in developer preview 4 in Mac OS X Lion (10.7)?

I've only just installed it.

I see the Mission control system pref pane has change, much better.

post-290994-0-85646400-1307491663.png

What have you noticed?

On the video representation Safari looked as though it had a slightly different UI - has that been changed?

Just a general screenshot of various parts would be cool though :D

Quillz    1,011

I was surprised Mission Control wasn't using that metallic icon shown off during the keynote.

DeadEndAccount    508
I was surprised Mission Control wasn't using that metallic icon shown off during the keynote.

Same, makes me wonder why they chose why was the metallic icons chosen for some but not others - do they only use it for things relating to physical hardware such as cloud/etc?

iuerg87yerg879e0rg9erugjer    39

the trackpad settings have also had a revamp, in love with it so much more simple and easy to customize

Quillz    1,011

Is this new?

post-119000-0-89951500-1307503099.png

I'm talking about the "General" category. I was looking for Appearance and couldn't find it, then noticed it was renamed.

ThothTD    1

Is this new?

post-119000-0-89951500-1307503099.png

I'm talking about the "General" category. I was looking for Appearance and couldn't find it, then noticed it was renamed.

It's definitely not.

It's this:

post-290994-0-99673800-1307528985.png

On the video representation Safari looked as though it had a slightly different UI - has that been changed?

Just a general screenshot of various parts would be cool though :D

It hasn't been changed a lot since the first developer preview of Lion.

post-290994-0-80207900-1307529102.png

Same, makes me wonder why they chose why was the metallic icons chosen for some but not others - do they only use it for things relating to physical hardware such as cloud/etc?

So far, I haven't seen any metallic icons. I cannot confirm if the launchpad icon in the dock is what they used in the keynote since I removed it from the dock and do not know how to find it. I've looked in /Applications and /System/Library/CoreServices. Can someone please tell me where it is :D

EDIT: It appears I cannot look properly, after doing a spotlight search, Launchpad is in the application folder. It does, indeed, have a metallic icon.

the trackpad settings have also had a revamp, in love with it so much more simple and easy to customize

It is, much prefer it.

Here are some screen shots, if anyone is interested.

post-290994-0-53480300-1307529355.png

post-290994-0-53601600-1307529360.png

post-290994-0-88449300-1307529365.png

CPressland    176

I saw this image a while ago,

mac-os-x-lion-terminal.jpg

And Ive been trying to find a way to do this with Lions Terminal, no luck so far :(

Anyone have any ideas?

ThothTD    1

I saw this image a while ago,

mac-os-x-lion-terminal.jpg

And Ive been trying to find a way to do this with Lions Terminal, no luck so far :(

Anyone have any ideas?

It's easy, just make the background colour be below 100% opacity. The background is blurred.

post-290994-0-04248000-1307531885.png

As you can see from the picture, you can also change the percentage of blurriness.

CPressland    176

Badass! All done, looks great, next stupid question.

Where do I create extra spaces? This functionality has been moved?!

EDIT: Nevermind, Giant + button inside Actual Mission Control

ThothTD    1

Badass! All done, looks great, next stupid question.

Where do I create extra spaces? This functionality has been moved?!

EDIT: Nevermind, Giant + button inside Actual Mission Control

In mission control, I wish you can organise your fullscreen apps and desktops (like change the order). Or can you do that?

Also, loving launchpads new icon:

post-290994-0-99804600-1307536148.png

+Frank B.    7,151

In mission control, I wish you can organise your fullscreen apps and desktops (like change the order). Or can you do that?

Also, loving launchpads new icon:

post-290994-0-99804600-1307536148.png

Ugh. The new Launchpad icon stands out like a sore thumb imho. If anything it should look similar to the icons for App Store or iTunes.

.Neo    1,834

Ugh. The new Launchpad icon stands out like a sore thumb imho. If anything it should look similar to the icons for App Store or iTunes.

That wouldn't make much sense. I like the icon. Too bad the Mission Control icon doesn't have the same style (only rectangle of course).

Rudy    457

The launchpad icon on it's own looks nice but with the other icons in the dock it doesn't fit in at all

if you put it along side the preferences icon its not so bad, but yea still doesn't fit with the others

.Neo    1,834

The launchpad icon on it's own looks nice but with the other icons in the dock it doesn't fit in at all

Fits in just fine if you'd ask me. It has the same level of realism as most other icons.

Ironman273    1,095

Is DP 4 up in Software Updates? I don't see it...

Is DP 4 up in Software Updates? I don't see it...

you need to go into the dev centre and get the redeem code and get via the mac app store

Ironman273    1,095

you need to go into the dev centre and get the redeem code and get via the mac app store

Ahh, thanks. I had gotten the previous ones (besides the original) through Updates.

insanelyapple    71

I think that they want to separate system features from general apps, by consoliding icons; click - as you can see, gestures, resume and autosave are using same chrome rounded disc image.

Jub Fequois    495

I was going to whine about Safari in Lion missing the option to restore session on next launch (like the 5.1 preview build for SL). After writing the first word in my post I felt stupid.

The DP4 build looks very near final to me. Everything works as expected, just a few bits and pieces that needs to get in place. Has anyone else run into any problems yet?

I was going to whine about Safari in Lion missing the option to restore session on next launch (like the 5.1 preview build for SL). After writing the first word in my post I felt stupid.

The DP4 build looks very near final to me. Everything works as expected, just a few bits and pieces that needs to get in place. Has anyone else run into any problems yet?

i am still experiencing some issues with apps coming back from being in full screen such as quicktime & safari. besides that i cannot think of anything else

S550    97

Well that weird jumbled video before the login is a known bug... but really needs to get fixed lol.

Jub Fequois    495

i am still experiencing some issues with apps coming back from being in full screen such as quicktime & safari. besides that i cannot think of anything else

Ah, I haven't really used the fullscreen modes much yet so I wouldn't know. I wonder how the Creative Suite behaves now, or if the bugs I noticed with it are up to Adobe to sort out. I'll give it a try later. Going to play around with the iOS5 SDK first.

Quillz    1,011

That wouldn't make much sense. I like the icon. Too bad the Mission Control icon doesn't have the same style (only rectangle of course).

That's why I was surprised that during the keynote, they did show the Mission Control icon in the same graphical style, yet are using the old Expose icon in DP4. Maybe it's something that will be changed, I hope so.