Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 4 changes

Do you have a source for that or are you just making stuff up as you go along?

What an arrogant reply for a post from someone who has no clue about the subject :laugh:

Go take a look over there, this gives us a nice indication of when they announced it to the public, which was April 2010 : http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/WebKit2?action=history

It's been on beta a little after that. So obviously they made a lot of R&D before posting this page, and actually coded something that would work (partially). So they worked on it way before April 2010. I'd give this project between 2 and 3 years. I would stand right then, 2 and 3 years of web browser development these days could bring this thing to 4 versions later.

Seriously, Lion is making Excel almost impossible to use. I just got into the office, opened excel and it decided to open every single spreadsheet I worked in yesterday. Thats a LOT of spreadsheets.

Already using Lion in a work environment ? At least wait a month and use the final version. Oh, and companies usually wait until the first Service Pack on Windows and the first two point updates on OS X before actually buying it and using it in their businesses.

By the way, you haven't explicitly talked about the consequence of using Excel in Lion. What exactly is happening ? If it's not Apple, maybe it's up to Microsoft to have an update for it.

Seriously, Lion is making Excel almost impossible to use. I just got into the office, opened excel and it decided to open every single spreadsheet I worked in yesterday. Thats a LOT of spreadsheets.

If you didn't have all those spreadsheets open when Excel was closed, then that's a bug. Otherwise, Resume is technically working as intended. :p

What an arrogant reply for a post from someone who has no clue about the subject :laugh:

Go take a look over there, this gives us a nice indication of when they announced it to the public, which was April 2010 : http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/WebKit2?action=history

It's been on beta a little after that. So obviously they made a lot of R&D before posting this page, and actually coded something that would work (partially). So they worked on it way before April 2010. I'd give this project between 2 and 3 years. I would stand right then, 2 and 3 years of web browser development these days could bring this thing to 4 versions later.

The April 2010 announcement is public knowledge, beyond that you're just making your own guesses and estimates.

Saying WebKit 2 could easily bring Safari multiple versions up makes no sense and bares no relevance at all. To begin with WebKit2 isn't designed for nor depends on Safari alone. The customer won't notice much about WebKit2 so it has very little promotional value to begin with (point in case Safari 5.1 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard). If Apple decides to announce Safari X (including WebKit2) with huge bells and whistles tomorrow without any other solid new features, 99% of the people out there will think nothing has changed from Safari 5. Unlike Apple Google for example doesn't promote Chrome being at version X, Y or Z. It's just "Chrome". Apple on the other hand does actively promote version numbers and makes a big deal out of it, so your comparison here doesn't hold much ground either. One company's versioning scheme has nothing to do with the other.

If you didn't have all those spreadsheets open when Excel was closed, then that's a bug. Otherwise, Resume is technically working as intended. :p

It's how Resume is supposed to work you're right, but there's a real design flaw here: Especially in an application like Preview: You want to look at a bunch of photos. In Mac OS X Lion you now have to close each photo individually otherwise they keep coming back every single time you launch Preview... Annoying as hell... :/

Already using Lion in a work environment ? At least wait a month and use the final version. Oh, and companies usually wait until the first Service Pack on Windows and the first two point updates on OS X before actually buying it and using it in their businesses.

By the way, you haven't explicitly talked about the consequence of using Excel in Lion. What exactly is happening ? If it's not Apple, maybe it's up to Microsoft to have an update for it.

Well, it's my choice, not the Companies.

Essentially, I work in a Workbook, then close it down, then open the next and so on and so on. When I actually CMD+Q Excel at the end of the day, shutdown then bring it back online the following day and open Excel it decides to open every single workbook I had open the previous day.

Deffo a bug.

Any ideas how to Disable Resume, cause it's something I don't need on my MacBook. Last thing I need is to be watching something on it, CMD+Q VLC, then open VLC back up the following day and have it resume. I don't foresee any situation where this is useful for me.

I definitely want a way to quit an application while foregoing the Resume feature. For both practical reasons as well as performance reasons. Sometimes an app is having a freak-out because I did something it didn't like. Do I really want it to continue doing that when I start it up again? A handy keyboard modifier to CMD+Q should allow me to quit without resume.

On this subject, how is resume going to with apps like Steam and Games, if I cmd + q out of a game, when I relaunch that game will it try and reload exactly where I was?

On this subject, how is resume going to with apps like Steam and Games, if I cmd + q out of a game, when I relaunch that game will it try and reload exactly where I was?

Technically, it could, but I'm not sure how many game developers will actually try and implement that. Cocoa will not be able to do it on its own.

Technically, it could, but I'm not sure how many game developers will actually try and implement that. Cocoa will not be able to do it on its own.

Well if it does it anything like iOS 4 then surely it'll just be dropping the Apps memory footprint into a kind of 'swap file' ready for the App to relaunch.

Completely possible.

I definitely want a way to quit an application while foregoing the Resume feature. For both practical reasons as well as performance reasons. Sometimes an app is having a freak-out because I did something it didn't like. Do I really want it to continue doing that when I start it up again? A handy keyboard modifier to CMD+Q should allow me to quit without resume.

Yeah it would be great if cmd + option + Q (for example) executes a "real" quit.

One final thing about Safari 5.1, I just noticed a very nice tweak: It automatically groups tabs of the same websites together. For example when browsing Neowin and opening a forum link in a new tab it will be placed next to all the existing Neowin tabs instead of being placed all the way at the end. That's kind of cool. (Y)

One final thing about Safari 5.1, I just noticed a very nice tweak: It automatically groups tabs of the same websites together. For example when browsing Neowin and opening a forum link in a new tab it will be placed next to all the existing Neowin tabs instead of being placed all the way at the end. That's kind of cool. (Y)

it didn't already do that? I could have thought it did. Maybe i am just used to that feature in chrome and firefox...

As far as I know chome doesn't automatically group tabs...

it didn't already do that? I could have thought it did. Maybe i am just used to that feature in chrome and firefox...

Not that I know of. I haven't seen Chrome doing this either...

Not that I know of. I haven't seen Chrome doing this either...

i could be mistaken as in to say that chrome just opens up a tab beside the page you are viewing, not really organizing all the same URLs together. my bad.

FYI, quitting an app using Cmd+Opt+Q apparently tells the app to not save Resume data. Haven't had a chance to test this.

FYI, quitting an app using Cmd+Opt+Q apparently tells the app to not save Resume data. Haven't had a chance to test this.

If you could confirm this that would be awesome. It seems like the Apple thing to do (modifier keys that are actually useful) but no one has mentioned it thus far so I'm just wondering.

The April 2010 announcement is public knowledge, beyond that you're just making your own guesses and estimates.

Your point being? ?

Saying WebKit 2 could easily bring Safari multiple versions up makes no sense and bares no relevance at all. To begin with WebKit2 isn't designed for nor depends on Safari alone. The customer won't notice much about WebKit2 so it has very little promotional value to begin with (point in case Safari 5.1 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard). If Apple decides to announce Safari X (including WebKit2) with huge bells and whistles tomorrow without any other solid new features, 99% of the people out there will think nothing has changed from Safari 5. Unlike Apple Google for example doesn't promote Chrome being at version X, Y or Z. It's just "Chrome". Apple on the other hand does actively promote version numbers and makes a big deal out of it, so your comparison here doesn't hold much ground either. One company's versioning scheme has nothing to do with the other.

Users now are aware that a browser experience extends way beyond the features you see directly with your eyes. It has to do with speed, with being standard compliant, with supporting a lot of standards, etc. Now Webkit 2 is supposed to make each tab its own specific internal process, which means if a website crashes, Safari won?t crash itself, the tab will. Plus, going back in history is supposed to be instantaneous. As of yet, I don?t see it with Safari 5.1 on Snow Leopard, but these are still features that change the end-user experience in the end.

About calling it Safari X, I was obviously referring to Chrome?s versioning scheme, and to Firefox 5 and later?s versioning scheme as well. Each Chrome version doesn?t necessarily bring features, it?s more of an updated browser engine than anything else. All I?m saying is, Webkit 2 took probably 2 years to develop (still don?t know why you?re rejecting this), and it?s a major backend overhaul that needs to be taken in consideration. Also note that Safari 5 didn?t bring much, Safari 5.1 feature-wise might even be on par with it. So they could name it Safari 6 easily.

If you could confirm this that would be awesome. It seems like the Apple thing to do (modifier keys that are actually useful) but no one has mentioned it thus far so I'm just wondering.

Just checked it and confirmed: it works.

• Like 3

Sweet, that's a nice feature!

post-330164-0-36464800-1308937640.png

This shows another Mac OS X feature I love - live modifiers in menus. Click around and press the modifiers to see what changes!

Your point being? ?

My point being that you make it sound like your personal theories theories are a well established fact.

Your claim that the average Joe knows about WebKit, Trident, Gecko are, to which browser they belong and what their differences are is wishful thinking at best. Reality is that most people don't have a clue about these things.

Just checked it and confirmed: it works.

That's great!

Has anyone tested any VM clients in Lion yet?

I had some mixed results with VMware Fusion. Sometimes it would work and other times it would crash immediately when starting a guest operating system.

I had some mixed results with VMware Fusion. Sometimes it would work and other times it would crash immediately when starting a guest operating system.

Hope they post up an update on Lion's Release.

Sweet, that's a nice feature!

post-330164-0-36464800-1308937640.png

This shows another Mac OS X feature I love - live modifiers in menus. Click around and press the modifiers to see what changes!

You can also hold down shift before starting an app to discard any previously opened windows.