• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 4 changes

.Neo    1,834

You can check which applications are compatible with Mac OS X Lion on this website. Pretty handy. (Y)

http://roaringapps.com/

• Like 1

Elliott    235

You can check which applications are compatible with Mac OS X Lion on this website. Pretty handy. (Y)

http://roaringapps.com/

Very nice! Thanks for the link.

PyX    140

My point being that you make it sound like your personal theories theories are a well established fact.

Look, I don?t know why you?re arguing about something like this. The page that describes the scheme of Webkit 2 has been online for now fifteen months, and they clearly had worked on it before. Would you really believe they had a talk about Webkit 2 for a week and rewrote the base code of Webkit in under a month and then posted this page? Seriously, stop being so rational, and start to agree with hypotheses when they make sense.

Your claim that the average Joe knows about WebKit, Trident, Gecko are, to which browser they belong and what their differences are is wishful thinking at best. Reality is that most people don't have a clue about these things.

More and more people are sensitized about web standards and everybody is sensitized about browser speed and browser stability. Webkit or not, they know about it, somehow.

.Neo    1,834

Look, I don?t know why you?re arguing about something like this. The page that describes the scheme of Webkit 2 has been online for now fifteen months, and they clearly had worked on it before. Would you really believe they had a talk about Webkit 2 for a week and rewrote the base code of Webkit in under a month and then posted this page? Seriously, stop being so rational, and start to agree with hypotheses when they make sense.

From the start you pretend to be some al knowing authority regarding the matter and expect me to believe in everything you say which I find annoying to be frank. Next to that it's completely irrelevant to me how long they worked on it and how big the changes are since WebKit isn't being utilized for Safari alone, it's an integral part of Mac OS X and many of its applications and services. So to go back to the original story: I don't agree that an updated rendering engine we'll be largely unaware of is enough to bump Safari to version 6. Not when Apple releases only one major new version a year unlike Google and more recently Mozilla. I can't help you with your issues towards people being rational either.

More and more people are sensitized about web standards and everybody is sensitized about browser speed and browser stability. Webkit or not, they know about it, somehow.

This is yet another example of some theory you throw into the mix without having anything to back it up with and, once more, expect me to just take your word for it. It's my personal experience that most people know hardly anything, if anything at all, about web standards let alone rendering engines. All they know is the bad publicity Internet Explorer received over the years and heard via via that there are supposedly better/faster/more secure alternatives available. That's about it. They don't know the details and probably don't care either.

• Like 1

Simon    177

Is there really fighting over *version numbers*? Why does it matter at all, either way?

• Like 1

PyX    140

From the start you pretend to be some al knowing authority regarding the matter and expect me to believe in everything you say which I find annoying to be frank. Next to that it's completely irrelevant to me how long they worked on it and how big the changes are since WebKit isn't being utilized for Safari alone, it's an integral part of Mac OS X and many of its applications and services. So to go back to the original story: I don't agree that an updated rendering engine we'll be largely unaware of is enough to bump Safari to version 6. Not when Apple releases only one major new version a year unlike Google and more recently Mozilla. I can't help you with your issues towards people being rational either.

I don?t pretend to be some al knowing authority regarding the matter, it?s simply clearly stated on this page that they have worked on Webkit 2 for AT LEAST fifteen months and you cannot deny this. I?m just making a hypothesis that it could have been two years. I?m not asking you to completely accept my theory, like "oh yeah, this guy is completely right, it took them exactly 2 years, he?s got the truth". I?m just trying to give people a safe order of magnitude here. It could be 5 years, 10 years, 18 months, I don?t care, as long as we get the idea that so much work would justify a new version, no matter if people actually visualize the new features or not. While we?re at it, people who don?t know crap about programming wouldn?t call Snow Leopard a new OS X Version, because it looked the same as Leopard with 3-4 things different. Under the hood changes are also important and sometimes will justify new software revisions.

Back to the original topic, all I was wondering is why you wanted a version 6 absolutely when they had already gone through a lot of work on it. Now, I know Safari and Webkit are very distinct, but is it the same team, I have no idea. If it?s not, it?s another problem. Maybe they could have added "features that we can visualize".

This is yet another example of some theory you throw into the mix without having anything to back it up with and, once more, expect me to just take your word for it.

Read what I said one more time and tell me why you?re writing this. You?re not even contradicting me. The true difference is, my glass is half full, yours is half empty. I never said a lot of people knew about web standards, I said more people know about them than in the past. You?re really arguing for the sake of arguing. I usually appreciate the new points you bring into conversations, but posts like this particular one are rather annoying.

• Like 1

giga    45

?Jebus Christ guys.

• Like 3

.Neo    1,834

Give it a rest PyX, you have your view on the matter I have mine. Time to accept that and move on.

Is there really fighting over *version numbers*? Why does it matter at all, either way?

No not at all. I was just saying before I would find it disappointing if Safari wouldn't receive bit more of an update (end-user feature-wise) this summer than we see today in Mac OS X Lion.

• Like 1

Rudy    457

Shhh don't tell them about Chrome :shifty:

PyX    140

Give it a rest PyX, you have your view on the matter I have mine. Time to accept that and move on.

Alright, let?s move on then. We know we?ll have other opportunities where we won?t agree with each other anyway. :p

Right now, all I?m thinking is about buying Lion ASAP to install it on my machines and do a little cleanup while I?m at it :) So many projects this summer, so many projects?