• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 4 changes

neufuse    3,895

what's up with these new ugly icons apple is pushing? they use to make nice ones.... they hire a new graphics design team or something? everything seems to be going circular or some flat image

.Neo    1,834

That's why I was surprised that during the keynote, they did show the Mission Control icon in the same graphical style, yet are using the old Expose icon in DP4. Maybe it's something that will be changed, I hope so.

We pretty much know for a fact that this DP4 build is older than the one Apple demoed. In the demo the login screen had the linen cloth pattern just like Mission Control. DP4's login screen is just plain grey, so hopefully the Mission Control icon gets updated to the new aluminum style as well.

what's up with these new ugly icons apple is pushing? they use to make nice ones.... they hire a new graphics design team or something? everything seems to be going circular or some flat image

I've never heard a single person complain about the iSync icon, which is pretty much the same style as the Launchpad icon since 2003.

PS

By "everything" you mean three or four application icons?

post-128385-0-10269700-1307566744.png

Leonick    35

Same, makes me wonder why they chose why was the metallic icons chosen for some but not others - do they only use it for things relating to physical hardware such as cloud/etc?

We can always hope they are place holders for icons while the come up with a better one ^^

Launchpad is using the metallic icon but the one before it was even worse so :p

Doubt that is the case though :(

They don't fit among the other icons...

I think that they want to separate system features from general apps, by consoliding icons; click - as you can see, gestures, resume and autosave are using same chrome rounded disc image.

That's actually a pretty good theory. But they made a new iOS logo using that style.

.Neo    1,834
They don't fit among the other icons...

Like I said, no one complained about the iSync icon before so I really fail to see the sudden issue with the Launchpad icon. They're nearly identical.

That said, I noticed iSync has been removed from Mac OS X Lion. :o

darkwox    0

All icons on Lion will be brushed steel style... that mean.. all OS icons will be replaced when Apple release Lion on july.

Rudy    457

All icons on Lion will be brushed steel style... that mean.. all OS icons will be replaced when Apple release Lion on july.

Won't happen (and that would look horrible :/)

Quillz    1,011

Cool source bro.

ThothTD    1

Like I said, no one complained about the iSync icon before so I really fail to see the sudden issue with the Launchpad icon. They're nearly identical.

That said, I noticed iSync has been removed from Mac OS X Lion. :o

Since you have mention iSync, I went to look for it and yes, it has gone.

What was it for? I knew it was there but never had the use for it directly.

ThisIsStockerHD    105

Since you have mention iSync, I went to look for it and yes, it has gone.

What was it for? I knew it was there but never had the use for it directly.

Syncing calendars and stuff with phones and pdas really.

CPressland    176

Okay Guys, Day 2 of using it as my primary OS at work. Lets hope this day gos as smooth as yesterday.

The only Major bug I had yesterday was with our Database WebUI, which was open in fullscreen (Safari), I downloaded a report it opened in Excel but overlaid the fullscreen Safari, when trying to switch to Excel it'd jump to the Full Screen Safari Space (where the actual Window was), then jump back to Space 1 out of confusion (where the Menu Bar for excel was).

Solution was using Divvy to resize the Window into Space 1, Permanent fix seams to be forcing Excel to only use Space 1.

But i'm not about to blame OS X for a Microsoft Office 2011 bug, it's barely stable in any OS compared to it's Windows brother, might move back to iWork.

ThothTD    1

Okay Guys, Day 2 of using it as my primary OS at work. Lets hope this day gos as smooth as yesterday.

The only Major bug I had yesterday was with our Database WebUI, which was open in fullscreen (Safari), I downloaded a report it opened in Excel but overlaid the fullscreen Safari, when trying to switch to Excel it'd jump to the Full Screen Safari Space (where the actual Window was), then jump back to Space 1 out of confusion (where the Menu Bar for excel was).

Solution was using Divvy to resize the Window into Space 1, Permanent fix seams to be forcing Excel to only use Space 1.

But i'm not about to blame OS X for a Microsoft Office 2011 bug, it's barely stable in any OS compared to it's Windows brother, might move back to iWork.

I've had the same problem as you, kinda. While in fullscreen in Safari, I launch FileZilla from the spotlight search menu, it overlays the fullscreen safari and cannot move it to the desktop, I have to close it and reopen it on the desktop. Maybe that's FileZilla?

CPressland    176

I've had the same problem as you, kinda. While in fullscreen in Safari, I launch FileZilla from the spotlight search menu, it overlays the fullscreen safari and cannot move it to the desktop, I have to close it and reopen it on the desktop. Maybe that's FileZilla?

Neither Excel or FileZilla use native OS X UI features so it seams highly likely thats the cause. MS and FileZilla need to update their apps.

ThothTD    1

Neither Excel or FileZilla use native OS X UI features so it seams highly likely thats the cause. MS and FileZilla need to update their apps.

That would explain it, thanks.

.Neo    1,834

That would be my assessment aswell.

+John.    1,395

I somehow doubt this. But good theory anyway! Welcome to neowin.

PyX    140

I'm installing it right now and it'll be ready when i'm back from the job. The Launch Pad icon really does NOT fit in the portrait of any Dock. I'll just replace it with my "applications" icon...

CPressland    176

I'm installing it right now and it'll be ready when i'm back from the job. The Launch Pad icon really does NOT fit in the portrait of any Dock. I'll just replace it with my "applications" icon...

Good Idea!

Ironman273    1,095

One thing I noticed right away is how much smoother this is than the previous builds. I'm running it on a Mac Mini server, so I know I don't have a powerhouse. The previous builds would literally chug along when you sent to the launchpad or opened a folder group. Now it's as smooth as you'd expect.

Petvas    36

For those of you expecting to upgrade from the developer preview to the final version: it won't be possible! At least this is what the release notes of the developer preview version state. That is for me a big problem, so I reverted today to Snow Leopard and I will wait till the final release comes.

.Neo    1,834

One thing I noticed right away is how much smoother this is than the previous builds. I'm running it on a Mac Mini server, so I know I don't have a powerhouse. The previous builds would literally chug along when you sent to the launchpad or opened a folder group. Now it's as smooth as you'd expect.

Had nothing to do with your Mac mini, trust me. Animations would stutter like crazy on my 27-inch Core i7 iMac as well. The folder unfolding in Launchpad and full-screen animations still aren't as smooth as they should be, compared to all other animations.

For those of you expecting to upgrade from the developer preview to the final version: it won't be possible! At least this is what the release notes of the developer preview version state. That is for me a big problem, so I reverted today to Snow Leopard and I will wait till the final release comes.

That has never been a possibility as far as Developer Previews are concerned. That said a clean installation is pretty much always the best solution. Upgraded installations tend to suffer from more unexplained issues and performance hits.

PyX    140

After some playing around with it, it does have a bunch of bugs and problems, and I'm not even talking about how bad LaunchPad is. They have a month and a half to fix them, which is clearly not enough.

Lion will not be stable before 10.7.2... at best. I suspect 10.7.1 will be released very quickly.

.Neo    1,834

Except for the screen distortion when going from the startup screen to the login screen I haven't come across any major bugs, except for the tragedy that is Launchpad of course. You should also keep in mind that this is most likely an older build than the one Apple demoed at WWDC this week. Could very well be that some of these bugs you're experiencing have already been addressed.

I've been using Mac OS X Lion DP4 intensively since it has been released and so far I haven't experienced any stability issues with the OS itself nor its build-in applications.

PyX    140

I've been using Mac OS X Lion DP4 intensively since it has been released and so far I haven't experienced any stability issues with the OS itself nor its build-in applications.

Maybe because I didn?t make a clean install. But I doubt it? I installed it over DP2 Update 2 from my Snow Leopard partition.

Safari?s speed was completely horrible, especially when it came to the animations like the reading list pane, etc. (probably was due to Spotlight indexing my hard drive though) The full-screen Safari was the first thing I?ve tested, and it didn?t go back to normal correctly. There was a nasty bug where my bookmarks bar would be pushed down so that I don?t see it anymore and it would be replaced by plain gray. I had 2 copies of Xsan Admin in LaunchPad (that might be because of my dirty install though). Mission Control still looked strange when I had too few applications in the main desktop. I have this nasty graphical bug that fills a straight zig-zag with graphical glitches when it switches from the EFI to the Login screen. A lot of animations aren't as smooth as they should be. When you press for a long time on an E to get all the accents, I noticed a bug when you click on an accented letter, the menu disappears for 1/10th of a second and reappears and you can click again to change your pick, but if you press a number to get the corresponding accent letter, it disappears.

By the way the new Photo Booth in full-screen is amazing, but this thing became so slow ! I hope it was due to Spotlight indexing?

I haven?t tested it deep-fully, those little hiccups all along with Launch Pad depressed me. I know I will still end up buying it the day of the release and I will install it on all my computers, so what gives really...

Quillz    1,011

I noticed that Mission Control on my MacBook does a magnification-like effect on my various Desktops when I mouseover yet, yet there is no animation when I do the same thing on my iMac. Both are running DP4. Any idea what might be going on?

.Neo    1,834

I noticed that Mission Control on my MacBook does a magnification-like effect on my various Desktops when I mouseover yet, yet there is no animation when I do the same thing on my iMac. Both are running DP4. Any idea what might be going on?

Depends on screen size / resolution.

Maybe because I didn?t make a clean install. But I doubt it? I installed it over DP2 Update 2 from my Snow Leopard partition.

That might very well be the reason.