• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 4 changes

PyX    140

The more I think about it, the more I hope my concerns were related to my dirty install and Spotlight indexing only.

I couldn?t believe how it was, it was nearly as responsive as Windows XP at my job, but the specs of my iMac should make it lightning fast.

guitmz    103

cant wait to update my hackintosh! atm is 10.6.7 on amd athlonII x3 nvidia 8600gt 3gb ram working 100% better than my windows :s

.Neo    1,834

The more I think about it, the more I hope my concerns were related to my dirty install and Spotlight indexing only.

I couldn?t believe how it was, it was nearly as responsive as Windows XP at my job, but the specs of my iMac should make it lightning fast.

Upgraded installations frequently suffer from unexplained issues and performance hits, let alone when you keep upgrading betas. You see this happening every OS.

With every new Mac OS X release you see an explosion of forums posts with people experiencing problems. Many of them did an upgrade. In most cases (especially at home) it's faster to do an Erase & Install rather than trying to figure out and fix whatever went wrong after upgrading. There are those who dispute this, but I've seen my fair share of issues that were non-existent on machines that were wiped clean. So for me upgrading is a total no-go on my iMac. Don't really care when it comes to developer previews though, since I always use whatever stable version of Mac OS X as my main OS.

• Like 1

guitmz    103

Upgraded installations frequently suffer from unexplained issues and performance hits, let alone when you keep upgrading betas. You see this happening every OS.

With every new Mac OS X release you see an explosion of forums posts with people experiencing problems. Many of them did an upgrade. In most cases (especially at home) it's faster to do an Erase & Install rather than trying to figure out and fix whatever went wrong after upgrading. There are those who dispute this, but I've seen my fair share of issues that were non-existent on machines that were wiped clean. So for me upgrading is a total no-go on my iMac. Don't really care when it comes to developer previews though, since I always use whatever stable version of Mac OS X as my main OS.

Upgrading is a no-go to all systems. It just dont work well. Better to do a backup, clean install and restore backup to ensure better performance. I think I'll have some work to make 10.7 to install on my AMD, but can't wait to try! :D

Leonick    35

Upgrading is a no-go to all systems. It just dont work well. Better to do a backup, clean install and restore backup to ensure better performance. I think I'll have some work to make 10.7 to install on my AMD, but can't wait to try! :D

Indeed. Updates are just such a great opportunity to get a fresh system install too :p

Hmm is it possible during the setup of OS X to put the home folders on a separate partition? (Kinda like you can with linux) Would be good to know for when I get myself a Mac (whenever they release a new MacBook Air).

I always keep my documents, music, videos and so on on a separate partition so I can just reinstall windows whenever I want to without having to worry about any kind of personal files, I just have to reinstall the OS and my programs.

CPressland    176

Indeed. Updates are just such a great opportunity to get a fresh system install too :p

Hmm is it possible during the setup of OS X to put the home folders on a separate partition? (Kinda like you can with linux) Would be good to know for when I get myself a Mac (whenever they release a new MacBook Air).

I always keep my documents, music, videos and so on on a separate partition so I can just reinstall windows whenever I want to without having to worry about any kind of personal files, I just have to reinstall the OS and my programs.

You don't need to format a hard drive on Windows or Mac OS X to reinstall the OS anymore. So you're never at any loss with files. Also the permissions for said files would be different if stored on a different partition then you installed over the top. My advise in this instance, is Time Machine.

Leonick    35

You don't need to format a hard drive on Windows or Mac OS X to reinstall the OS anymore. So you're never at any loss with files. Also the permissions for said files would be different if stored on a different partition then you installed over the top. My advise in this instance, is Time Machine.

Don't know about OS X, but can windows 7 really do a clean install without touching any user files? Hmm maybe it can...

Well in windows it's easy to add new permissions and change owner on all the folders.

Either way, the point was that I get a completely clean system (System directory, registry) but get to keep my files.

Time Machine might be a good idea :p didn't think of that. But time machine only makes backups to local drives (or a time capsule) right? Hardly optimal for a MacBook air :p oh well that's a problem I can solve then :p

CPressland    176

Time Machine to a USB Hard Drive. Then with Lion it makes local backups and copies them all to the USB Drive when you plug it in. So you retain old versions of files etc even without the Backup hard drive plugged in.

And yeah, with Windows it moves the Entire C: into C:\Windows_Old\ or something. So you still end up with a pretty clean FileSystem. Mac OS X being built on Unix is even cleaner, there are no Registries etc, so it just replaces the OS files and BOOM, clean system, no format needed.

PyX    140

Many of them did an upgrade. In most cases (especially at home) it's faster to do an Erase & Install rather than trying to figure out and fix whatever went wrong after upgrading.

Well it?s not true that I?m going to do an Erase and Install? I mean, go through the hassle of reinstalling everything back, configuring every preference pane, transferring all my files back, etc. and have a chance to forget about something important. I have always done an upgrade install and only came across few minor problems.

I have already used a wizard to put everything from a partition back on my clean installation, and it was as bad as if I made an upgrade install. Since I cannot use it to help me get back all my data, I?ll just go with the classic upgrade route.

Jub Fequois    495

Someone mentioned Safari performance, and apart from what I can tell as a person, it's clearly faster (than other browsers incl. Safari 5) according to Peacekeeper as well (http://clients.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/results.action?key=660T). It kind of? crushed Chrome, if you look at the individual and important tests.

iuerg87yerg879e0rg9erugjer    39

sun spider test results show when you comare safari 5.1 to the latest chromium 13 build, in some areas safari is absolutely dominating chrome :/

Elliott    235

I did notice that JS seemed much faster in 5.1 (even on Snow Leopard).

Elliott    235

Not unique to DP4, I imagine, but I noticed that Lion forces Photoshop CS5 to put the traffic lights back in their (almost; off by a pixel) right positions instead of the atrocity Adobe created in Snow Leopard.

iKenndac    98
You should also keep in mind that this is most likely an older build than the one Apple demoed at WWDC this week.

That's definitely the case. The login screens are different in DP4 and the build demoed in the keynote, for a start.

.Neo    1,834

That's definitely the case. The login screens are different in DP4 and the build demoed in the keynote, for a start.

That's what I was basing it on yeah.

PNWDweller    147

This page gives information on how to reinstall Lion and even a tip on how to apparently install on a Fresh system (HDD replaced scenario).

Just reading what he wrote has refreshed my plan to buy Lion when it comes out knowing that I can offload it to a Thumb Drive for the "Just in Case" scenario.

Not too crazy on the Phone home part of it, but not too worried about it either. As a proud owner of a Genuine Apple Machine, I am not afraid to let them take a tally on the machines. Hopefully it won't be a limited install ratio though like Microsoft when it comes to the number of their activations before you are bugged to call them.

Jub Fequois    495

I have the most odd issue. Ever.

When I click the mouse, to rotate an object or drag a slider for example, the cursor will freeze for a couple of seconds. I have no idea what's causing it, especially since I don't have any third party drivers running apart from the Wacom. It's definitely unrelated to sleep/wake-up, it's the same from a cold boot. I can recall having had this problem with Snow Leopard too once, to which my remedy was a re-install?

Oh well, possibly related to Lion, possibly not!

.Neo    1,834

Maybe the Wacom drivers don't play nice with Mac OS X Lion yet?

Jub Fequois    495

Maybe the Wacom drivers don't play nice with Mac OS X Lion yet?

The Wacom itself and the Magic Trackpad work perfectly. It's only USB mice that occasionally (but quite frequently) freeze. It's true that the Wacom drivers aren't updated for Lion, but one would think its functionality to be impaired rather than screw with USB mice.

It seems to be only certain actions that trigger this, too. For example, I can click drop downs and scrolls pages indefinitely, no problems whatsoever. But fluid (step less?) sliders, in like Photoshop and Fireworks, cause this little hang, and also when I try to rotate the camera in a game.

Haha, I find this behaviour really peculiar. I'll try to remove the Wacom stuff and disconnect it, but it doesn't feel like it's that one causing it.

.Neo    1,834

Ah okay, I thought you were having issues with your Wacom tablet. :) Well, not entirely sure. Maybe you have more luck with the final version.

Jub Fequois    495

Ah okay, I thought you were having issues with your Wacom tablet. :) Well, not entirely sure. Maybe you have more luck with the final version.

Yeah, thanks for your input though. :) We'll see, I assume it's some software I have installed that's causing the problem. At least Snow Leopard works fine? for now. :)

Rudy    457

I just bought my iMac last night and installed a fresh copy of DP4 and I noticed that the open applications dot is back by default?

Elliott    235

I just bought my iMac last night and installed a fresh copy of DP4 and I noticed that the open applications dot is back by default?

Yep. It's optionally turned off now. I don't think Resume panned out quite like they wanted it to (i.e. when an app isn't doing anything, quit it), so it was just a better idea to turn them back on by default.

Rudy    457

Yep. It's optionally turned off now. I don't think Resume panned out quite like they wanted it to (i.e. when an app isn't doing anything, quit it), so it was just a better idea to turn them back on by default.

I liked it because it was cleaner but every once in a while I kinda wanted to see which app was running or not

• Like 1

Elliott    235

I liked it because it was cleaner but every once in a while I kinda wanted to see which app was running or not

I agree. I wouldn't mind having an option to have the lights fade in when you hovered over the dock. It'd be the best of both worlds. :p