Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 4 changes

Why? Does it search any better than the search field in Safari? :/

No. But it makes accessing search wayyy simpler. Want to google something? cmd-t and start typing or cmd+v what you want to google. I can't stand having to find and click the dedicated field. But that's personal taste, I guess.

No. But it makes accessing search wayyy simpler. Want to google something? cmd-t and start typing or cmd+v what you want to google. I can't stand having to find and click the dedicated field. But that's personal taste, I guess.

Yeah I can see how hitting cmd + T > Tab > cmd + V is rocket science in comparison.

Let's not dramatize things. ;)

having two bars (one for search and one for typing urls) seems rather defunct these days, after all most mobile browsers use the omnibar, as does chrome, and IE and firefox can be configured to search from the address bar as well with minimal effort

Yeah I can see how hitting cmd + T > Tab > cmd + V is rocket science in comparison.

Let's not dramatize things. ;)

Okay, it's not wayyyy simpler. :p But for me it's more seamless. It's just the fact of having one instead of two fields. Why two if one does both jobs perfectly fine? But even the OmniBar is not perfect. FireFox for example makes great use of their not-only-URL-bar aswell.

When it comes down to it I'd rather deal with having to hit a single key extra than with Chrome's interface and lack of service integration. :whistle:

I'd rather deal with having to hit a single key extra than with Chrome's interface and lack of service integration. :whistle:

I've never had a problem with service integration in chrome, and it's a lot faster than the Safari version I have (5.1), and it's easier to use, and likley safer

I've never had a problem with service integration in chrome, and it's a lot faster than the Safari version I have (5.1), and it's easier to use, and likley safer

How is it safer than Safari 5.1? Like I said I make a lot of use of the Dictionary pop-up and absolutely love History Cover Flow. Don't really see how Chrome is that easier to use (beyond not having to hit tab) nor do I notice a real difference in speed on a daily basis.

The only thing I hate about Safari is Apple's update pace when it comes to features and changes. Google does do this a lot better in my book, but that's about it. We've been using Safari 5 for a year now, I really expected to see Safari 6 this month. :/

Just tell yourself that Safari 5.1 is Safari 6. It now sports the new Sarai UI, has full screen, a new interface for the download manager, a Read It Later option and last but not least, Webkit 2.

It's quite easy to test for... I have never tried it on a Magic Trackpad but on both my old MacBook and my current MacBook Pro, there is a lag.

On SL, enable dragging and then try to single tap something like an icon on the desktop. Then, disable dragging and click the icon again. If you're careful you'll notice that it was almost instantaneous compared to when dragging was enabled.

Maybe the lag is small enough for most people to not notice, but it drives me mad because I've gotten so used to my trackpad being so fast it's like an extension of me. Turning dragging on makes it feel like just another trackpad.

I'm still on 10.6.7 and I've noticed this. It's extremely brief but there. Bummer to see it still there in 10.7.

The new placement for the Trackpad options doesn't sound very appealing, either. That needs to be remedied. Seems like Apple has a lot of work to do before release.

I really want Safari to have a unified address and search bar too. That users have to differentiate between "URL" and "search term" is stupid - browsers should just have an "I want this thing on the internet" field and be done with it.

• Like 2

+1. we need it in iOS also, because the search field next to the adress bar on the iPhone is ugly.

As much as I love having an omnibar that isn't Mobile Safaris biggest problem. (First addon I install in a clean install of Firefox is omnibar :p)

The biggest problem is how when I open a new tab/window the searchbar is active be default and it takes one tap to deselect it and one to select the addressbar...

There is no reason for any of the to be active by default and if either should be it should be the address bar! :angry:

I really want Safari to have a unified address and search bar too. That users have to differentiate between "URL" and "search term" is stupid - browsers should just have an "I want this thing on the internet" field and be done with it.

This.

Just tell yourself that Safari 5.1 is Safari 6. It now sports the new Sarai UI, has full screen, a new interface for the download manager, a Read It Later option and last but not least, Webkit 2.

What new interface? Full-screen and the downloads list are just there so it fits in with Mac OS X Lion more. Beyond those two changes Safari 5 and 5.1 look identical. They look 100% identical on Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Hopefully the final 5.1 version will be rebranded to Safari 6 and spot some real changes.

Many a times, I have just typed what I wanted to search in Safari 5.1's address bar and was greeted with a dead page. Plain stupid for 2011's standard.

Many a times, I have just typed what I wanted to search in Safari 5.1's address bar and was greeted with a dead page. Plain stupid for 2011's standard.

I suddenly started experiencing that problem after an update to Safari 4 / Mac OS X Leopard, but haven't seen it since Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

What new interface? Full-screen and the downloads list are just there so it fits in with Mac OS X Lion more. Beyond those two changes Safari 5 and 5.1 look identical. They look 100% identical on Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Hopefully the final 5.1 version will be rebranded to Safari 6 and spot some real changes.

Like integrating search bar and address bar into one? I'm all for it.

Seriously, who uses the dedicated search bar? Most users I know either use the address bar or go to the website of their search engine of choice.

Like integrating search bar and address bar into one? I'm all for it.

Seriously, who uses the dedicated search bar? Most users I know either use the address bar or go to the website of their search engine of choice.

Most people that use Safari I'm guessing. ;) Don't get me wrong I'm not against integrating the Address Bar and Search Bar into one, it just won't ever be a reason for me to switch to Chrome. Especially not compared to what I would be giving up in the process.

Personally I really like Internet Explorer 9's tab placement. Not entirely sure if it would work on Mac OS X though (look-'n'-feel-wise). Don't care much about the whole "tabs on top" thing although Safari 5 beta did have a cool implementation. Sadly it came with some real functionality drawbacks, so I get why Apple eventually went back to the traditional look.

At the risk of repeating myself, there?s also Webkit 2. Do you know how much work there is under that? Because it?s transparent for you doesn?t mean it?s not there. In fact it will make your browsing so much quicker and more stable.This alone could boost Safari to version 6 easily, and to version 12 or 15 if we speak in terms of Chrome?s versioning system.

Other than that, what features were you thinking of / asking for?

At the risk of repeating myself, there?s also Webkit 2. [...] Because it?s transparent for you doesn?t mean it?s not there. In fact it will make your browsing so much quicker and more stable.This alone could boost Safari to version 6 easily, and to version 12 or 15 if we speak in terms of Chrome?s versioning system.

Other than that, what features were you thinking of / asking for?

You were talking about a new interface, I'm simply asking what you meant by that because I don't see one. Obviously WebKit 2 is a major feature, but not something the end-user will notice on a daily basis. About more stable browsing, haven't noticed any changes compared to Safari 5.

Beyond that it would be nice if they revamped the interface a bit. Add a progress bar to the Dock icon when downloading stuff (similar to the App Store), improve overall performance (Internet Explorer 9 is pretty amazing) and maybe a graphical overview of all tabs similar to iOS. They made the Add Bookmarks toolbar button part of the Bookmarks bar, why not take advantage of that and notify the user if a page is already saved in Bookmarks? I also like the fact that Internet Explorer's address bar is more dynamic when it comes to the info it displays.

Nothing too big.

Do you know how much work there is under that?

Do you?

You were talking about a new interface, I'm simply asking what you meant by that because I don't see one.

I never talked about a "new interface" in these specific terms. I said it now sports the Sarai UI, which is the new Aqua for Lion.

The download progress bar in the dock has been incorporated in the toolbar button instead, which is still a new feature while we're at it.

Do you?

Years. It's enough to justify at least 3-4 point releases nowadays. They could name it Safari X if they felt like it.

I never talked about a "new interface" in these specific terms. I said it now sports the Sarai UI, which is the new Aqua for Lion.

The download progress bar in the dock has been incorporated in the toolbar button instead, which is still a new feature while we're at it.

Safari using new the new Aqua goes without saying, that really does not qualify for a revamped interface as nothing has changed layout-wise...

Regardless of the toolbar button having a progress bar I would welcome one in the Dock as well.

Years. It's enough to justify at least 3-4 point releases nowadays. They could name it Safari X if they felt like it.

Do you have a source for that or are you just making stuff up as you go along?

Regardless of the toolbar button having a progress bar I would welcome one in the Dock as well.

I know what you're going for progress-bar wise (and I wouldn't mind one on the Safari icon itself either), but remember that Safari has pretty much always had a "progress bar" in the Dock as long as you have your Downloads folder in the dock. It updates the download's icon with its rough progress.

You definitely have a point there, although I feel a progress bar on the app icon would be both cleaner and more accurate. The current solution becomes more or less useless when downloading multiple files (when looking at a glance that is).

Btw, keep on posting Elliott you almost reached that 10.000 mark! :D

You definitely have a point there, although I feel a progress bar on the app icon would be both cleaner and more accurate. The current solution becomes more or less useless when downloading multiple files (when looking at a glance that is).

I agree. Just saying that there's a lot more I'd like to see in Safari first. :p

Btw, keep on posting Elliott you almost reached that 10.000 mark! :D

I'm working on it! :D

Seriously, Lion is making Excel almost impossible to use. I just got into the office, opened excel and it decided to open every single spreadsheet I worked in yesterday. Thats a LOT of spreadsheets.