Build Help

Can this be beaten for ?500?

Processor (CPU): INTEL SANDYBRIDGE Core I5 2500K SKT1155

STANDARD CLOCK SPEED = 3.3Ghz Per Core

Motherboard: GIGABYTE H67M-UD2H-B3 With H67 Chipset (NEW B3 VERSION)

2xPCI-E (16x), 2xPCI(1x) & 32GB RAM Support

Special New Features Sandybridge, SATA6 & 4 x Ram Slots

Memory: 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit

Hard Drive: 1TB SATA2, 7200 RPM

Optical Drive: SONY 24XDVD+/-RW Lightscribe & Dual Layer

Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics with Dynamic Frequency 850Mhz/1.1Ghz

Intergrated HD Graphics In Sandybridge CPU From 512MB UpTo 1.8GB

Comes Complete With VGA, DVI & HDMI Outputs

Case: COOLERMASTER Elite330 Case & 450W PSU

Connections: 12 x USB2.0, 1 x GIGABIT LAN, 7.1 HD Audio & 1 x PS/2 & 1 x Optical Out

Software: MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 PREMIUM 64BIT

GOT YOUR OWN OS? - SELECT REMOVE ALL SOFTWARE FOR ?50 DISCOUNT

AVG Anti-Virus Package

Open Office Suite Inc Word Processing/Spreadsheets

Nero Burning Version 9.0

Monitor: 22'' AOC F22+ DVI Widescreen HD TFT (1920*1080)

TO REMOVE MONITOR CALL 01270 898104 FOR ?75 OFF PRICE

Extras: PALICOMP Keyboard & Mouse Set

LOGITECH 2.1 Speaker Set

Deal here

Only thing that i can see missing is a half decent graphics card, ~?70. The machine will mainly be used for general plus some gaming and video editing.

Can you build a better machine for around the same cost in the UK?

Cheers,

Yes, Scan. There's no GFX card selected though. I don't know if you plan on OCing but if you don't then I'd drop the 2500K and go fit something cheaper, and spend a little extra on the GFX card.

Good point, new it looked cheaper than my lists.

Thinking of dropping down to the i3 for ?90, (Intel Core i3 2100, S1155, Sdy Bridge, 3.1GHz, 5GT/s, GPU 850Mhz, 3MB Cache, Core R 31x, 65W, Retail)

is there a cheaper alternative mobo to go with it?

Also if the mobo has integrated Gfx will the comp still be snappy with basic video editing? Or does the Gfx card have an important part with that?

No gaming on this rig anymore.

Thanks for your help Singh.

Good point, new it looked cheaper than my lists.

Thinking of dropping down to the i3 for ?90, (Intel Core i3 2100, S1155, Sdy Bridge, 3.1GHz, 5GT/s, GPU 850Mhz, 3MB Cache, Core R 31x, 65W, Retail) is there a cheaper alternative mobo to go with it?

Also if the mobo has integrated Gfx will the comp still be snappy with basic video editing? Or does the Gfx card have an important part with that?

No gaming on this rig any more.

Thanks for your help Singh.

Obviously with a dedicated GFX your video editing will be faster/better simply because it can offload the workload to the GPU. I've no idea if the onboard graphics will suffice, but my gut says no.

810988013.jpg

Looking at the above, it comes to ?341.38, that leaves you with ?158.62 to get a decent GFX card.

I would choose a SATA 6gbps (SATA III) HDD. They are a tad faster than they SATA II counterparts.

If you need a GFX card, try to get a better deal on the CPU if you are not running CPU intensive tasks like video editing/encoding or rendering. A mid-range card like the Radeon HD 6850 or GTX 550 will run games with medium to high settings.

The Elite 330 that Singh selected comes without a PSU. Keep that in mind!

I would choose a SATA 6gbps (SATA III) HDD. They are a tad faster than they SATA II counterparts.
I seriously wouldn't bother. You'd need a SSD to take real advantage of SATAIII.
If you need a GFX card, try to get a better deal on the CPU if you are not running CPU intensive tasks like video editing/encoding or rendering. A mid-range card like the Radeon HD 6850 or GTX 550 will run games with medium to high settings.
Hence why I suggested he drop the 2500K, and it's now been replaced with something else.
The Elite 330 that Singh selected comes without a PSU. Keep that in mind!
OOooo, good spot. I'll add it now...

959632516.jpg

For graphics, maybe something like this? With that added the total comes to ?497.15.

I seriously wouldn't bother. You'd need a SSD to take real advantage of SATAIII.

Hence why I suggested he drop the 2500K, and it's now been replaced with something else.

OOooo, good spot. I'll add it now...

That PSU is too much for a system like that. Drop it and go with a 450w. That could cost half the price to give you more options for the GFX card.

PSU are too overvalued nowadays. There is no need to go above 550w if you aren't running SLI/Crossfire systems.

That PSU is too much for a system like that. Drop it and go with a 450w. That could cost half the price to give you more options for the GFX card.

PSU are too overvalued nowadays. There is no need to go above 550w if you aren't running SLI/Crossfire systems.

Meh, got a Corsair modular because they are rock solid, and for 80 quid it's bargain IMO. The OP can of course change it to whatever they want, it's just my suggested build.

if you are getting the new sandy bridge, dont go lower then the i5 for encoding. quad core will help. You can benefit from the 'k' series cpu even if you dont overclock, its gpu is slightly faster.

also for encoding purposes, intel does have Quicksync, which when used with supporting software can accelerate your video encodes.

If you want to save on cpu, then you could skip the i3 altogether and get the Pentium based sandy bridge, G620 around 30 euros cheaper, and get a better gfx card. another option is the h61 motherboards.

Meh, got a Corsair modular because they are rock solid, and for 80 quid it's bargain IMO. The OP can of course change it to whatever they want, it's just my suggested build.

I didn't argue against that particular PSU. They are very good indeed, but you can buy a cheaper PSU from Cooler Master, Thermaltake and the other good and reputed brands and save money or use it for other parts when 650w is too much what the OP is building anyway.

Having said, the OP has the last word on this. But I would strongly advice against expending that much on the PSU for his particular build. Instead, it would be better to go for Core i5 and stretch the budget a little bit.

Appreciate the help guys. I think due to having to sneak a semi-decent monitor in the build I'm thinking of using scan's overclocking bundles, such as this one;

post-59941-0-05719300-1307971390.jpg

I'm quite happy with that, I think it's fairly solid, what do you think?