iOS 5: First Look at Notifications!

notifications seems sweet. no need for notifier anymore, thought i do love it. Anyone know if you have the four digit passcode setup, and you slide to view a notification if it still asks you for the password? Cause if it doesn't, that's stupid...

Wait, that slide to kill a notification thing - that's right out of CyanogenMod! Android doesn't do that by default, it was a mod cooked up by those devs. Wow - Can he sue Apple? HAHA

I like that they finally did add some "missing" stuff though, i'm not complaining one bit. I say it's about time! This was one of the reasons why i haven't gotten an iPhone yet.

notifications seems sweet. no need for notifier anymore, thought i do love it. Anyone know if you have the four digit passcode setup, and you slide to view a notification if it still asks you for the password? Cause if it doesn't, that's stupid...

I'm sure they wouldn't overlook such a simple security measure like that, likely a password prompt would come up regardless of which icon was slide across screen.

i find it funny how this is almost exactly like the jailbroken cydia app "Lock Info" lol :p

Wait, that slide to kill a notification think - that's right out of CyanogenMod! Wow - Can he sue apple? HAHA

Slide on the home screen doesn't kill a notification (well, it technically does, but that's not the primary function); it takes you to the notifying app to show you what the notification is about.

i find it funny how this is almost exactly like the jailbroken cydia app "Lock Info" lol :p

yeah i have that one too, love it, especially the home screen. was worth the five dollars i paid for. that's why i don't really care about this, but it seems i would have no need for it anymore if I got this :s But i still love the home screen.

If anyone here is running the new iOS, can you disable the notifiers? my favourite thing about this though is that the pops up don't happen anymore in the middle of games, soooooooooo annoying.

What does the blinking icon mean? That it's a new notification?

Wonder why they didn't at least add a statusbar icon that indicates new notifications in the list...

Hmm wish Apple would allow third party apps to put stuff in the Notification list like stocks and weather do. Would be a great way to implement proper widgets (Apple has always called the weather and stocks apps widgets)

Also, for anyone saying it's a rip off of Android. It is similar yea, and the use the same activation method, I'll give you that, even though sliding down from the statusbar is kind of logical.

It is a list of notifications. A list is always going to be a list not much you can do about that, it's the most sensible way to display a notifications log.

yeah i have that one too, love it, especially the home screen. was worth the five dollars i paid for. that's why i don't really care about this, but it seems i would have no need for it anymore if I got this :s But i still love the home screen.

If anyone here is running the new iOS, can you disable the notifiers? my favourite thing about this though is that the pops up don't happen anymore in the middle of games, soooooooooo annoying.

completely agree with you there with the mid game popup thing, that has always been annoying as hell

The notifiers are completely configurable through the Notifications menu in Settings. I'm running this too and don't feel like I need to jailbreak to add missing features anymore :D

you have three choices that you can set on a per app basis (and maybe as default too, don't know), nothing, the new notification and the old style pop up

I mentioned this before but the home screen look horrifying now (or at least as it was shown on engadget's liveblog) :/ Apple sure could've done a better job than most Android apps?

Edit: my post is purely from eyecandy PoV.

The notifiers are completely configurable through the Notifications menu in Settings. I'm running this too and don't feel like I need to jailbreak to add missing features anymore :D

that is very good news indeed, I will be looking forward to this (of course i will still be jailbreaking though mainly for the folder enhancer and a few other useful apps)

I mentioned this before but the home screen look horrifying now (or at least as it was shown on engadget's liveblog) :/ Apple sure could've done a better job than most Android apps?

The homescreen looks like it always has. No more horrifying now in my opinion than before.

that's another thing where jailbreaking and themeing comes in handy, i for one have never been very fond of the stock iOS theme

How? They didn't change anything with the home screen, just a few icons added and moved around.

you have three choices that you can set on a per app basis (and maybe as default too, don't know), nothing, the new notification and the old style pop up

oh nice, thanks for the info guys. and tyeah you do ironman. theme, default iOS theme is ugly as IMO

And do you know that notifier could still be turned on in the settings? that was a nice touch there! :)

Using iOS5-Beta aswell, working like a champ. Notifications are great and I'm glad they got inspired by Android on this one. In my opinion, notifications were the only thing Android handled better than iOS (IN MY ****ING OPINION, DEAL WITH IT) and I always wished for some implementation on iOS. Also, I like they hired that Cydia-Dev, really nice move. :)

Overall, I'm pretty glad I upgraded, some subtile UI-changes and Reminders alone are worth it and NotificationCenter... Also, I assume Devs will be able to take advantage of that. Like the Weather Widget. News or something. It's great, because I hate widgets on a home screen but hidden in the NC... would be awesome! :)

It's great to see iOS looking really complete. Functionally it seems good now but still the design and animation is very bland. I think iOS 6 needs to be a rework of the interface to make it more visual interesting.