Fonts / Display Messed up

My computer is doing some weird stuff...

I am not sure what caused it... but all of my fonts in certian applications look like they got ran over. They are all fuzy, I am noticing it in apps such as Firefox, Media Center, Visual Studio.... I'm thinking it is DirectX related but I can be wrong.

While other things look perfect such as my desktop, internet explorer, Call of Duty, etc....

Any ideas? I attached some screenshots.

Reinstall DirectX ... ? I did, no change

Reinstall your video drivers ... ? I did, no change

Run a SFC - I didn't do this yet but I will right now

And a virus scan couldn't hurt. I did, no change

Also just to note, I did get a new LG 27" LCD recently, can monitor color profiles cause font issues? I don't think it has anything to do with the monitor though, because I am running a dual display setup and it is messed up on both displays on certain apps

I also had to remove a fake internet explorer special character zone recently to fix a issue not getting into services.msc that was caused by an Adobe Flash player update, dunno if it is related

It's not just the fonts is it? It looks like it's everything.Everything looks like a photoshop filter has been applied to it. I've no idea how this would be possible unless it's some graphics quirk. I mean it even shows in screenshots so it's not so much a display issue.

Is this for real? :laugh:

Is ClearType enabled? Tried running the ClearType configuration?

I did, didnt do anything

It's not just the fonts is it? It looks like it's everything.Everything looks like a photoshop filter has been applied to it. I've no idea how this would be possible unless it's some graphics quirk. I mean it even shows in screenshots so it's not so much a display issue.

Is this for real? :laugh:

yes lol its for real... its weird only firefox looks like that, I am using internet explorer right now and it looks clear as day... only certain apps look messed up which is why i thought maybe it was something rendering and I know firefox uses directx... not sure about IE

I don't want to scaremonger but this looks pretty serious. Try disabling video hardware acceleration just to see if it makes a difference:

1. Choose Start > Control Panel.

2. Double click Personalization and select Display Settings.

3. Click Advanced Settings.

4. Click Change Settings on the Troubleshooting tab.

5. Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None.

6. Click Apply and then click OK to accept the new setting and close the dialog box.

7. Click OK to close the Display Properties dialog box.

8. Restart Windows.

I don't want to scaremonger but this looks pretty serious. Try disabling video hardware acceleration just to see if it makes a difference:

6. Click Apply and then click OK to accept the new setting and close the dialog box.

8. Restart Windows.

I can't, the Change settings box is greyed out because of the ATI Catalyst Control Center having graphics control.

Disable morphological filtering under gaming in the Catalyst Control Center.

This feature which can improve the appearance of edges in games also seems to get applied to applications which use hardware acceleration in windows. It can also mess up HUDs in games on occasion too but the 3D stuff looks nicer.

I just got a 6850 and it was a new button so I had to click it. It also garbles up remote desktop, that's when I realized that this was a problem on my PC.

If you like it in games, you're going to have to enable it before a gaming session and disable it after.

8. Restart Windows.

Garry you were definately on to something.... I opened up ATI Catalyst control center and everything looked fine but still obviously it isn't. I found hidden in the preferences area of the control center a reset all graphics settings to factory defaults. I clicked it and for the moment atleast everything seems to be fine. I don't have any idea of what changed or how it changed, but I hope that fixed the issue. Thanks for sparking the idea in my head...

Disable morphological filtering under gaming in the Catalyst Control Center.

This feature which can improve the appears of edges in games also seems to get applied to applications which use hardware acceleration in windows. It can also mess up HUDs in games on occasion too but the 3D stuff looks nicer.

I think you were right :)

Just for hahas i turned this option back on and it recreated the issue... I don't recall turning it on in the first place but this did indeed fix it.

Thanks!

It's a smoothing method which blurs edges together. It's more efficient than conventional anti aliasing and looks even better with anti aliasing enabled at the same time with little performance impact. It also blurs the edges of 2D accelerated stuff which is the problem.