Unlocked iPhone 4 Coming To U.S. This Wednesday?

According to ChronicWire, Apple will finally start selling factory unlocked iPhones in the U.S. from Wednesday.

Ever since Apple launched GSM iPhone in the U.S., it has been locked to AT&T and the CDMA iPhone, which was launched earlier in the year is also locked to Verizon as they offer them at subsidized prices to customers willing to sign a two-year contract. Apple currently offers factory unlocked/SIM free iPhones in some select countries such as UK, Canada, Hong Kong etc.

ChronicWire revealed this via the following tweet:

Unlocked iPhones headed to Apple Stores for Wednesday: MC603 (16GB, Black) MC604 (16GB, White) MC605 (32GB, Black) MC606 (32GB, White)...

The factory unlocked iPhone will finally allow users to use a SIM card from any GSM carrier. They also don?t need to be locked into a two-year contract as the iPhones are not subsidized.

Apple is expected to sell the unsubsidized factory unlocked iPhone 4 for $599 (16 GB model) and $699 (32 GB model). But despite the high price, factory unlocked iPhones are popular among international travelers who may need to frequently switch SIM cards to avoid the exorbitant international roaming charges....

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2011/06/unlocked-iphone-4-coming-to-u-s-this-wednesday.html

And considering that the only other major GSM carrier in the US is about to be part of AT&T, what exactly is the point, other than for people who frequently travel overseas?

And considering that the only other major GSM carrier in the US is about to be part of AT&T, what exactly is the point, other than for people who frequently travel overseas?

Nail. Head.

And for us, tourists, this may be a good deal as well. For example, the iPad 32GB 3G costs $ 729 in the US, an iPad 32GB 3G costs (converted) $ 1.004. If the iPhone will have a similar price difference I won't mind to put in a trip to the US with the family. Enjoy a nice vacation and buy an iPhone, iPad and some other goodies! :punk:

The factory unlocked iPhone will finally allow users to use a SIM card from any GSM carrier. They also don?t need to be locked into a two-year contract as the iPhones are not subsidized.

There isnt really that much choice inside the US, is there?

Can you get your existing iPhone 4 unlocked?

Yes you can. In some countries all phones sold, including the iPhone, are sold unlocked, by law. If you have a locked phone , carriers must unlock the phone , by your request, free of charge.

I really don't see any advantages for a normal user to buy an unlocked phone.

My company started using provider A but later we went on using provider B. It would have been a shame if that would force me to change my phone. I'm talking about a small country in Europe here but there are plenty of countries where there are multiple providers, each fighting eachother with the lowest prices.

I just don't understand why the US gets the iPhone at $ 469 and we in Belgium have to pay almost 50% more. :(