• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mountain bike f/ ebay?

mulder    7

Hey guys...looking for a semi entry level mountain bike for training / riding / fun....cant afford the real good ones at 800.00 to several grand. The bike shops in California are outrageously expensive...for crap bikes with nothing they all want a minimum of 4-500.00 Yikes ( man bikes have gotten expensive )

So I started looking on ebay and found this bike seller for motobecane , looks to be a mom / triathelete/ bike shop owner...anyway..is this a decent deal? Or a bad buy? any info would be welcome...Thanks !

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALUMINUM-FULL-SUSPENSION-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-SHIMANO-/130523069897?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item1e63c7fdc9

+Majesticmerc    872

If legit, it certainly looks like a good deal on paper, although personally I couldn't buy a bike without having ridden it first, and this would be especially true for a brand I haven't personally heard of.

If you're looking to save money, have you considered just going for a hard tail instead? F/R suspension is great, but for the most part an unnecessary cost unless you're into some serious off-road stuff.

PT 13    9

I ride bikes on a daily basis.

I would never buy a bicicle from eBay for 2 reasons... you never know if they had a serious accident (it's like a car) and you don't have warranty (on pricier bikes it goes from 5 years to a life warranty).

btw another thing you need to know is with that rear suspension, it's more of a "serious" mountain bike than a all-rounder bike. What I mean is that you can't expect it to really be very good on a road surface, but if you ONLY do mountain biking that's not a problem (english is not my frist language sorry).

Now that I have bored you, I have to say for the price the bike doesn't seem that bad :)

And yeah bikes are really expensive nowadays, I got 2, one cost me 800?, the other 2000? :|

Draaku    5

I wouldnt buy it. The parts are low end, the forks are cheap. (with bikes you get what you pay for) If I was you I would look into putting that money into a better hard tail. nothing wrong with buying a bike online as long as you know what size you need and are willing to adjust a few things here and there on your own. Otherwise you will be taking it to your local shop and paying them to assemble it and tune it.

mulder    7

Well, I used to race motorcycles, and I am a repair tech for a major in home repair co. Assy, and adjusting is not a problem. But yeah, what i was worried about you answered for me, whether the parts are cheap or not :) Maybe I will think about a hard tail...hmm...more shopping. I just hate the stores around where I live...nothing is cheap....haha. Ive long since learned to buy on line most things I need. But yeah, a bike sight unseen is a bit worrisome, this one looked pretty good though.

DirtyLarry    2,094

Well, I used to race motorcycles, and I am a repair tech for a major in home repair co. Assy, and adjusting is not a problem. But yeah, what i was worried about you answered for me, whether the parts are cheap or not :) Maybe I will think about a hard tail...hmm...more shopping. I just hate the stores around where I live...nothing is cheap....haha. Ive long since learned to buy on line most things I need. But yeah, a bike sight unseen is a bit worrisome, this one looked pretty good though.

I also almost buy everything exclusively online nowadays, and no matter what the item may be, if it is something that warrants me trying it out first, I almost always go in store to check them out first (for example when I was in the market for a new TV, I went to see the pictures of the models I had narrowed it down to in person). I then take notes of what I like, and then go online and find the same thing if not something very similar.

So with something like a bike, it is probably worth a trip to your local bike stores to see which ones you prefer the feel of. Just pretend you are actually buying, and if you are really concerned with how to exit once you have done your "window shopping," have a buddy lined up who will call you once they receive your already prepared text message. ;)

PT 13    9

For the price is not that bad, but yeah parts are low-end. But you can't get high-end parts for that money :\

Just look for a "hard tail" (like people have said), it tends to be cheaper because you don't have to pay for the whole back suspension system, and it's also more confortable if you also ride on the road (or any smooth surface).

((altough suspensions can be "locked" they cost a lot of money))

BeerFan    288

I'll just echo others' comments: the Alivio gear components are some of Shimano's bottom line hardware. If you're going to be riding frequently on rough / muddy trails, i would avoid the Alivio line altogether. Go for Deore LX or better. Gear components are, in my opinion, the most important part of the bike. If they are cheap, they fail much more frequently and cause a generally bad riding experience.

The rest of the bike looks pretty good though! If you wanted to buy it, then save for upgrades to the components later, i suppose it's a pretty good buy. (Y)

Shaun N.    569

I cycle to and from work everyday, My bike however is on its last legs and am looking to get a cheap replacement from Ebay. I watch them and forget to check and always miss out. I would agree with buying one from Ebay just be carefull with what you buy as they can also be stolen

threetonesun    1,204

I got my last mountain bike off of Ebay, used. It's been a great bike, and I saved about $1500 USD over buying it new.

That said, Motobecane is a budget online-only shop. Basically, their frames are made in the same factories as the other large brands, and they spec them with cheap gear that they buy in bulk, usually when it's being phased out by the manufacturer. Nothing wrong with them per se, especially if you're buying a hardtail, but their full suspension designs are known to be outdated.

mulder    7

Thank you for all the great responses :) Ive decided to go to a local shop, I picked out a Trek 3700....2011 model, with disc breaks...hard tail...ill pick it up in a few days :)

MillionVoltss    63

Dont use a bike its not designed for, If you do you might end up with forks or frame breaking.