Wii U can't play DVDs or Blu-rays

The Wii U cannot play DVDs or Blu-rays, Nintendo has confirmed.

Why? Because you've already got machines that play them.

"Wii U does not have DVD or Blu-ray playback capabilities," president Satoru Iwata told investors.

"The reason for that is that we feel that enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such that it didn't warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies."

Instead, the Wii U, out next year, features a single self-loading media bay that plays 12-centimetre proprietary high-density optical discs, as well as 12-centimetre Wii optical discs.

That's that then.

Q: Are you planning on making the Wii U more of a home entertainment console by including Blu-ray or DVD drives, or is it going to be more like the Wii, and just be more of a pure gaming console?

Iwata:

Wii U does not have DVD or Blu-ray playback capabilities.

The reason for that is that we feel that enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such that it didn't warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-15-wii-u-cant-play-dvds-or-blu-rays

Nintendo skimping out yet again...

Nintendo skimping out yet again...

I don't know, I kind of agree with the reasoning myself. I already have a bajillion devices that can play those formats, I don't need yet another one that I wouldn't use anyway. If it shaves off some coin off the price, so much the better.

I don't know, I kind of agree with the reasoning myself. I already have a bajillion devices that can play those formats, I don't need yet another one that I wouldn't use anyway. If it shaves off some coin off the price, so much the better.

I agree to an extent. If it shaves a significant price off the hardware, then I'd rather see a cheaper console than a more expensive one, but at the same time, it'd be nice to be able to have a single multi-functional device instead of several smaller ones.

It would be super dooper cool as well if we could be able to stream dvds/blu-rays from the console to the controller so I can watch a blu-ray while the GF watches her shows! But alas, no dice.

I'm with Nintendo on this one.

I have (at a glance) 3 things that can play a DVD sat under my TV, why add more. Sure the consumer cost saving will be tiny...

In this day and age, who needs a Wii U to play videos?

If you don't have a PS3, you have a Xbox. If not either, you surely have a PC. If you don't have any of the 3, you will have a dedicated machine, a DVD player or something. If you don't have any of those, chances are you don't even know what a Wii U is. And I don't think Nintendo ever sold their system as any home entertainment system like the PS3. I can't disagree that it is skimping, but really, would you really miss it?

I'm with Nintendo on this one.

I have (at a glance) 3 things that can play a DVD sat under my TV, why add more. Sure the consumer cost saving will be tiny...

Do you have 3 things that can play Blu Rays?

Maybe it's just me then but in a 1~2 years time when this thing comes out and lacks functionality like this, it's hard not to look at the $100-$199 PS3/360 with a massive games back catalogue and lots of media functionality.

Nintendo need to make the Wii U look like value for money, not just in the price, because the PS3/360 will be vastly cheaper than it end of.

If anyone wants to argue people will all have a PS3/360, look at how much the PS2 started selling when it hit $99, not everyone can afford a games console when it's hundreds of dollars.

More like you're just looking for something to complain about again. Like nintendo says, it's not a big deal. Everyone, including their completely clueless technologically illiterate grandmother, has a dvd player. And Anyone who seriously cares about movies will have some kind of device that can play blu-ray. So quite frankly, it's mostly a non-issue if it can't play movies.

Again, just my option, your mileage and variance and all that, but yes. Aside from a few standalone BR players in the house, there's a media-center-ish PC at on the "main" tv, a few of the computers have BR drives, etc etc. (Most of my BR discs have been stored onto a server as well for streaming purposes.) Yet another player in my house is beyond redundant. It's hardly new, chances are if the person doesn't have BR capability by now, they just don't care. Or if anything, make it an optional addon perhaps.. if they want it, it's available, if not, save a few bucks. Besides, with that tablet.. pad.. joystick thing, probably couldn't hurt. I like the concept, but can't be cheap.

Again, just my option, your mileage and variance and all that, but yes. Aside from a few standalone BR players in the house, there's a media-center-ish PC at on the "main" tv, a few of the computers have BR drives, etc etc. (Most of my BR discs have been stored onto a server as well for streaming purposes.) Yet another player in my house is beyond redundant. It's hardly new, chances are if the person doesn't have BR capability by now, they just don't care. Or if anything, make it an optional addon perhaps.. if they want it, it's available, if not, save a few bucks. Besides, with that tablet.. pad.. joystick thing, probably couldn't hurt. I like the concept, but can't be cheap.

Fair enough.

I just feel Nintendo aren't doing themselves any favours in trying to make the Wii U people's main platform of use, which is a rocky road to go down considering 3rd party development support is what keeps killing them each generation. They need to make people choose the Wii U as the first device to turn on and use, not a PS3/360. When they lose that battle people start buying multiplatform games on the console they use most, developers don't like crappy sales, and we end up with a software catalogue like the Wii again.

Well for me i mean its not a deal killer but at the same time it does kill some excitement. I am really big on all in one entertain systems. I prefer minimal stuff in my entertainment center. And if i get tired of the wiiu much like i did with my ps3 and wii its gonna get put up in the closet like the WII but the ps3 will always be out there cause of the bluray player lol. My 360 i still play some on but its actually used more for netflix and hulu than anything.

I would love a reason to not have that ps3 sitting out there but the wii u wont be that reason i guess!

And Nintendo half-asses another console.

I wouldn't say a lot of people have several devices to play those. I only have one myself. Most people I know only have one and many don't even have a Blu-ray player yet.

I just feel Nintendo aren't doing themselves any favours in trying to make the Wii U people's main platform of use, which is a rocky road to go down considering 3rd party development support is what keeps killing them each generation. They need to make people choose the Wii U as the first device to turn on and use, not a PS3/360. When they lose that battle people start buying multiplatform games on the console they use most, developers don't like crappy sales, and we end up with a software catalogue like the Wii again.

Fair point - I can see it being a turnoff for someone who wants it all in one box. To be honest I'm not a good 'test case' for consoles, I rarely use them anyway, when it comes to gaming I'm primarily a PC gamer, minus the odd game. (Old school Zelda junkie lol..)

The main question would be, how much more are you willing to play to have Blu Ray capability, is it $50 or $100?

Personally I have two devices that can do blu ray, My PS3 and a Standalone player.

After all, Nintendo are not a bunch of dumb dumbs, all their consoles make profit right out of the gate which is what they are shooting for i'm sure.

im also with nintendo ive got 5 things that can play dvd's ive got a standalone hdd/usb stick player i have a 360 thats solely used for streaming and no gaming and i have my pc and a laptop, and im certainly not going to buy a bluray player anytiem in the near future as it just doesnt interest me

"The reason for that is that we feel that enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such that it didn't warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies."

this statement means Nintendo is treating Wii U as the second console in the house, not the primary console like Microsoft or Sony treat theirs

Very strange. It was weird that they didn't support it with the Wii, but to make the same mistake again is a bit baffling.

Sony must have sold a fair chunk of PS3 just because it plays Blu-Ray, it really gives their console an edge that Nintendo have once again decided not to take advantage of.

No, I have 2. But the argument seems moot. DVD's or BluRays - my point is that should I want to watch a film, then I'd not use a nintendo gaming console to do it.

Yeah, I gotta say I agree with them too. I too have a bajillion gadgets that already do that. Having one that doesn't might be a refreshing change.

Honestly, I don't think it's a very big deal. If you don't have a Blu-ray player by now, I have to doubt if you ever will, given the way the physical format is going. I think it'll still be around for a while, don't get me wrong, but Blu-ray will never see the success DVD did due to the emerging of digital distribution.

If Nintendo doesn't get some form of movie capabilities, though, it'll be screwed, because as the 360 and PS3 have proven, people want an entertainment hub. They need to have a Netflix app from the get-go for the Wii U. I doubt they will have a service of their own like Microsoft or Sony, but they could use some sort of partnership in that regard.

basically they don't want the console that can do it all (like PS3) or do almost everything (like Xbox 36) and then for whatever fractional cost, they decided to skip it. They will be losing some market because of it.

No, I have 2. But the argument seems moot. DVD's or BluRays - my point is that should I want to watch a film, then I'd not use a nintendo gaming console to do it.

In the console market that is not the best end of a stick to be on. Nintendo should want you to use their console, as while you're using it you're becoming familiar with it, growing attached to it, noticing the other features it offers, and hey whilst it's turned on, let's play a game on it as well.

Do you think Sony/MS are suddenly going to drop large portions of media functionality next gen? No they're not, because making a console the console to turn on is half the battle.

Like it or not consoles have become all in one boxes, not adopting that standard is a dangerous game for Ninty to play if they're trying to escape pitfalls of the Wii.

this statement means Nintendo is treating Wii U as the second console in the house, not the primary console like Microsoft or Sony treat theirs

Its a good bet that by now, if somebody wanted a Blu-Ray player, they'd already have one. Gaming console not required. I also have a PS3, don't think I've ever used it to watch a movie, and I don't need another feature that I'll never use adding to the price. The things are already expensive as it is. I pick a console based on what I'm going to do with it.. play games.. not the extra fluff that's added to make the feature list on the box longer.

They won't be losing anything. It's a market they never had and never targetted, so there is no loss. Moreover, the numbers have shown that people tended to buy the Wii AS WELL as another console - it was never part of the "battle", it was an "also ran" that did really well.

Basically, they will lose nothing by not playing (physical) movies. We have no idea about any digital distribution systems, also...

Like it or not consoles have become all in one boxes

No. They've really not. The Wii is the "third console" in the 3-way dance of the last generation, and it never played a damned thing.

Do you think Sony/MS are suddenly going to drop large portions of media functionality next gen?

Are Nintendo DROPPING DVD support? No. They never had it anyway. It's not their strategy. You seem to be quite active in the gaming forums and the voice of someone who knows the industry - but you've missed the fact that Nintendo makes gaming machines, always has - not made media players!

basically they don't want the console that can do it all (like PS3) or do almost everything (like Xbox 36) and then for whatever fractional cost, they decided to skip it. They will be losing some market because of it.

The ps3 stopped "doing everything" when sony removed linux support, and(even more stupidly) removed PS2 bc.