Your weight affects your paycheck ?

TAMPA - We've heard of sexism and racism and ageism - but is there any such thing as "weight-ism?"

Sadly, how much you weigh may really carry some "weight" in the workplace. What you weigh can affect your paycheck.

This is outrageous when you think about it, but just wait until you hear the catch: the pay scale is polar opposite for men and women.

For a woman, lower weight leads to higher pay. But when a man weighs in, more pounds mean more pay. It's all in a salary survey conducted in part by a University of Florida professor.

A chart from the report reflects a classic double standard. The blue salary line for men goes up with their weight as the red salary line for women goes down for the same weight gain.

Stats like this could make a human resource manager's head spin.

"That should have absolutely no relevance whatsoever in terms of how someone's compensated or their longevity with the company. It should simply be based on merit and performance," said Hiregy's Shaun Androff.

"The appearance really does have a lot of import, and it happens on a subconscious level," said Dr. Adam Scheiner, a laser eyelid and facial plastic surgeon.

Scheiner believes looks do matter. In fact, he encourages patients to freshen their look for success with a nip/tuck or a simple makeover.

"Anything people can do to optimize their appearance can pay a lot of dividends, including the clothes they're wearing or the hairstyle they are wearing," he said.

When we asked what people thought of all of this, it turned in to "he-said she-said."

"That's pretty realistic. I definitely see that in our society," said Jamie Morrell.

"I think it's kind of false," said Addison Chipoletti.

No one supported the idea, but plenty had a theory behind why weight and workouts may affect their pay.

"It is a sign of how much you respect yourself and care about yourself," Morrell said.

"People probably respect you more than someone who is overweight because they consider them lazy," said Rachel Cockey.

"I don't think it's right at all," said Chipoletti.

So maybe appearances do matter... that's really nothing new, even if we do hate to admit it.

The odd fact seems to be a heavier pay check for heavier men. The survey's explanation: if a man is considered too thin he's looked upon as nervous, or a push over in the work place.

source

Wow...

But that would be discrimination..?

Yup. The thinner individual will most certainly not have the health issues an overweight person would.

Were I to sit on a jury to hear a case claiming hiring discrimination because of a person's weight, I probably wouldn't be able to find the defendant guilty either.

Would you give hiring preference to a non-smoker over a smoker?

What type of companies are we talking about here? Most places have a standard pay scale, with a starting pay, and pay increases based on seniority or production, so they pay ALL employees the same

If I were hiring, I'd prefer someone slim -- male of female.

So you wouldn't base it on qualifications or experience, just on weight?

If thats the case then it's to hope you don't get to that position.

If thats the case then it's to hope you don't get to that position.

If you are hiring for a job say moving heavy objects, would you hire a skinny person or a fat person? I know I would hire the skinny one, I'm already overweight, I know the fat one could not do as well as the skinny one.

If you are hiring for a job say moving heavy objects, would you hire a skinny person or a fat person? I know I would hire the skinny one, I'm already overweight, I know the fat one could not do as well as the skinny one.

But that depends on whether the fat guys is grossly overweight or just overweight. I am overweight and would go against anyone else when it comes to moving/lifting whatever is in front of me.

Chart is useless without descriptions of each data type. Do fat males get paid more because they are preferred or are higher paying jobs acquired later in life which coincides with the age where males tend to pack on weight anyway? Also, what job types was this confined to?

While I could believe that a thin woman would get paid more than a fat one (at least if a man is doing the hiring), I seriously doubt the claim of larger men getting paid more than thinner men. If true that's bad, the last thing Americans need is another excuse to fatten up.

I'd love to discriminate against smokers, I've worked with plenty of people who will take smoke breaks en mass at least once an hour and it ****es me off. I have nothing against smokers in general but when it affects your work (and makes me have to work harder as a result) you should probably consider breaking that habit or finding another job.

I hate the habit, and considering I work right next to the "common smoking area" at work (outside my window). I'd hire the best candidate, but I would be annoyed if I hired the smoker who 1) stunk of smoke 2) was taking breaks all the time.

We should move to the system they have in Japan where people who are fat face heavy fines and even termination from their employer.

I am not fat but damn... that's just a communist or totalitarian law.

My goal is to be one day to look sexy like this guy:

christian-bale-the-machinist.jpg

I would obviously look at experience, ability and willingness to do the job.

But I would enjoy working with a slim person, all else being equal. ;)