• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Should Windows Phone Get Support for Flash?

Windows Phone and Flash Support  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Prince781    36

Just curious, since Microsoft has mentioned that Windows Phone will have Flash support in the future, will people actually be welcoming of this new addition or is Windows Phone better off without it? Please vote and tell me what your opinion is. I personally would not like to see the integration of Flash on Windows Phone, because I have a feeling that it's going to seriously degrade the speed and overall smoothness of it. I could be wrong, though. :)

Krome    204

hmmm... my choice is not on the list

Prince781    36

hmmm... my choice is not on the list

And what would that be? I'll change it slightly if you could tell me...

Boz    1,324

It is coming anyways.. it's a choice for those who want it and those who don't can miss out on things and disable it. Simple as that.

Flash + HTML5 is the future for awesome engaging rich interactive experiences on mobile, desktops, tablets and TVs.. When you combine the two you get awesome stuff and they compliment each other beautifully.

FMH    717

Just curious, since Microsoft has mentioned that Windows Phone will have Flash support in the future, will people actually be welcoming of this new addition or is Windows Phone better off without it? Please vote and tell me what your opinion is. I personally would not like to see the integration of Flash on Windows Phone, because I have a feeling that it's going to seriously degrade the speed and overall smoothness of it. I could be wrong, though. :)

It appears like they are changing their stance on Flash. Joe Belfiore explicitly said there would be Flash support in Mango. But now we know that they are focusing on Silverlight and HTML 5. There reasons may be many. Security. Battery-life. Stability. Performance . . .

And iOS has pushed Flash away very much, so the end-user doesn't miss much in terms of multimedia content.

Boz    1,324

And iOS has pushed Flash away very much, so the end-user doesn't miss much in terms of multimedia content.

LOL this argument is so funny.. The point is that the end-user DOESN'T KNOW he's missing much in terms of multimedia content not that he doesn't care.. you are forced to go visit sites that only work with your iOS device.. It's not the same thing. And Apple deliberately took out that blue cube so users might miss that there's some content missing there and wonder what's wrong with the site and not that there's something wrong with their device.

Elliott    235

LOL this argument is so funny.. The point is that the end-user DOESN'T KNOW he's missing much in terms of multimedia content not that he doesn't care.. you are forced to go visit sites that only work with your iOS device.. It's not the same thing. And Apple deliberately took out that blue cube so users might miss that there's some content missing there

You're right. I really have missed all those Flash ads.

Boz    1,324

You're right. I really have missed all those Flash ads.

Yeah because Flash is all ads.. Talk about being completely ignorant and trying to minimize the revolution on the web that happened thanks to Flash over the course of past 10 years.. and I wonder how you'll be able to block HTML5/JS ads.. LOL

DrJohnSmitherson    131

Not having flash SUCKS

• Like 2

Elliott    235

Yeah because Flash is all ads.. Talk about being completely ignorant.. and I wonder how you'll be able to block HTML5/JS ads.. LOL

With the sites I visit, yea, it is just all ads.

And you're right, JS ads would be just as annoying. I'm hoping advertisers are smarter than that and go with CSS3 if they want to have animation. The iAd banners in apps use CSS3 animations and don't bog down the OS at all.

• Like 1

Phouchg    2,048

Whatever the feature, a full featured media device (a phone is these days) needs to have that feature to be feature-complete. And that includes Flash.

• Like 1

shockz    5,961

Flash was and is garbage. We were so close to getting rid of it, and two things happened.

1) YouTube

2) Apple hated it.

Since Apple hated it all the fanboys jumped on the bandwagon and now we can't get rid of it.

Hoping HTML5 really starts kicking off, so we can finally rid ourselves of such a terrible platform.

Since a lot of media providers do use flash, WP7 should get it. As well as Apple, but hah, when hell freezes over.

rajputwarrior    280

i don't think so. i like the push for HTML 5. yeah it's still a baby compared to how far the development has gone into flash, but it's crap, as a mac user i hate it and always will cause it's always run like crap on anything but windows. HTML5 is a wide open platform which is why i want it to take over flash's reign. the performance will get better over time.

soldier1st    40

Flash sucks as it has so many issues with it thus wp should not get it. On Linux, flash is terrible.

jakem1    1,610

I think they should make Flash available to WP7 but I'd like Microsoft to work closely with Adobe to ensure that it runs as efficiently as possible. Regardless of what you think of Flash, it's used too often to ignore it and I get tired of browsing sites knowing that I'm missing out on a lot of the content.

Having said all that, I'm not convinced that it will be coming with Mango. Microsoft were initially very supportive of Flash on WP7 but they seem to have cooled off lately and I suspect they are just going to push HTML5 in IE9.

cleverclogs    274

Silverlight and HTML5 all the way, and perhaps then sites that use flash video might realise they should use Silverlight etc.

canadian    29

Although I personally have no interest in having Flash on WP7 I guess it may as well get implemented... just make sure I have the ability to disable it and we'll all be happy.

• Like 1

zombieChan    5

Flash sucks, plus I can't think of many reasons why I would want flash on my Windows Phone. I am able to play Youtube videos (and some other flash video sites) with a app i found on the marketplace.

I would like to see HTML5 and can't wait for IE9 to come to the WP7. Maybe even Silverlight on IE9 would be nice...

+LogicalApex    1,747

I'll pass. I don't find a serious use for it normally on my PC and I won't on my phone either. If they do make it (which they said they will) they should just make it an app you install. I don't want it baked into my OS.

Boz    1,324

Flash was and is garbage. We were so close to getting rid of it, and two things happened.

LOL two things happened. Yep, just two and nothing else. /s

Flash wouldn't be so widespread and on 90+% of computers and users if it "sucked". It offered solutions and innovation over the clusterfu*k called HTML and JS. And nothing has changed with HTML5. The problem is slightly alleviated with JQuery but for the most part it still sucks, JS has absolutely dreadful performance and from platform to platform HTML5 experience wildly depend or fail depending on different browser who have their own implementations.

Haters need to face the facts that Flash is still the best and most universal way to present content, apps etc.. Sure, people use it for ads, for annoying popovers etc but that's the nature of the beast when you have 90+% of market.. just like with Windows. HTML5 is ok for a lot of purposes (thank god after 15 years there is some progress) and can replace some simple functionality Flash shouldn't have been used for but it still can't do 80% of the things Flash can.

And LOL at someone saying Silverlight + HTML5 LOL.. Silverlight is so much worse than Flash but hey.. it's ok if it is used on Xbox or WP7 for example.

Flash + HTML5 is the absolute win for most engage and best apps and experiences for both desktops and mobile and TVs and tablets and that's going to continue being a simple reality. Flash is improving unbelievably in every aspect. By end of this year there will be no technology on the web that can match it. With HTML5 it will be unstoppable for games and so many other things.

• Like 2

KevinN206    46

I have been waiting for Flash to come to WP7 before making the switching, if it comes. I am stuck with Android 2.2 now on my Samsung Vibrant. While I really like the customization it allows and widgets, the whole user experience has been literally very laggy. This is true with stock ROM as well as "lagfree" custom ROMs (using Voodoo lag fix).

I visit a lot of streaming music and video sites that require Flash to work.

Scorpus    208

"Sure, why not. It's just another feature" sums up my opinion completely.

You may as well have it as an option for those that want to use it (considering lots of websites use it) than not have it because a few people think it's terrible/buggy/slow

I am stuck with Android 2.2 now on my Samsung Vibrant. While I really like the customization it allows and widgets, the whole user experience has been literally very laggy. This is true with stock ROM as well as "lagfree" custom ROMs (using Voodoo lag fix).

Well that's strange. I have a Samsung Vibrant running Android 2.2 (custom ROM with Voodoo) and my experience has been very smooth. You must be doing something wrong

shockz    5,961

LOL two things happened. Yep, just two and nothing else. /s

Flash wouldn't be so widespread and on 90+% of computers and users if it "sucked". It offered solutions and innovation over the clusterfu*k called HTML and JS. And nothing has changed with HTML5. The problem is slightly alleviated with JQuery but for the most part it still sucks, JS has absolutely dreadful performance and from platform to platform HTML5 experience wildly depend or fail depending on different browser who have their own implementations.

Haters need to face the facts that Flash is still the best and most universal way to present content, apps etc.. Sure, people use it for ads, for annoying popovers etc but that's the nature of the beast when you have 90+% of market.. just like with Windows. HTML5 is ok for a lot of purposes (thank god after 15 years there is some progress) and can replace some simple functionality Flash shouldn't have been used for but it still can't do 80% of the things Flash can.

And LOL at someone saying Silverlight + HTML5 LOL.. Silverlight is so much worse than Flash but hey.. it's ok if it is used on Xbox or WP7 for example.

Flash + HTML5 is the absolute win for most engage and best apps and experiences for both desktops and mobile and TVs and tablets and that's going to continue being a simple reality. Flash is improving unbelievably in every aspect. By end of this year there will be no technology on the web that can match it. With HTML5 it will be unstoppable for games and so many other things.

Those two things I stated were the turn around for flash. Before those the beating flash took (and still takes) in the tech community, people finally woke up and say this platform is not the way to go.

It's used on 90% of computers because until recently there was no decent alternative. Talk to me when flash has decent performance on any OS aide from Windows, and even then I see plenty of computers peg their resources when using flash content. Buggy 64-bit support on Linux, issues are common place... white screen, black screen, freezing, etc.. It's also dreadful on a mac. Talk to me about how flash is a "superior product" when those large issues are fixed.

Scorpus    208

It's used on 90% of computers because until recently there was no decent alternative. Talk to me when flash has decent performance on any OS aide from Windows, and even then I see plenty of computers peg their resources when using flash content. Buggy 64-bit support on Linux, issues are common place... white screen, black screen, freezing, etc.. It's also dreadful on a mac. Talk to me about how flash is a "superior product" when those large issues are fixed.

It's used on 90% of computers because that conveniently lines up with how around 90% of computers run Windows

shockz    5,961

It's used on 90% of computers because that conveniently lines up with how around 90% of computers run Windows

And? That makes it superior? Forget Linux and Mac... as long as it runs great on Windows, it's good to go. If it can't run efficiently on multiple platforms, that shows a major limitation of the product.