[DNS] How does this work...

Hey,

Probably a very stupid question but:

I've noticed a lot of sites, Neowin included have their DNS set up as follows:

NS records for neowin.net

ns1.neowin.net

ns2.neowin.net

ns3.neowin.net.

How does this work? Surely when a host goes to neowin.net it then is told that the DNS is at ns1.neowin.net and then tries to query ns1.neowin.net.

Thanks

ns1.neowin.net is resolved by the "net" top level domain.

You configure this with your domain registrar, you provide them with the hostname (ns1.domain.com) and an IP for that to resolve to, when ns1.domain.com then resolves queries for domain.com subdomains.

You can pay for hosting which allows top level domains to point to your own custom DNS.

If you have your own box, you can install server which you can then set your own DNS for as well.

Simon got it right, it has nothing to do with paying for any sort of hosting.. You register a domain, you can register NS for said domain. When you point them to your own domain then you setup the hosts in the in the top level domain, in neowin.net case its the .net root servers.

This is done at your registrar for your domain, nothing at all to do with hosting at all.

So for example in the case of nameservers for neowin.net -- did a dig to the one of the roots for .net and they tell me the IPs for those nameservers

----

; <<>> DiG 9.8.0 <<>> @d.gtld-servers.net neowin.net NS

; (1 server found)

;; global options: +cmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 57847

;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 3

;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;neowin.net. IN NS

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:

neowin.net. 172800 IN NS ns1.neowin.net.

neowin.net. 172800 IN NS ns2.neowin.net.

neowin.net. 172800 IN NS ns3.neowin.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:

ns1.neowin.net. 172800 IN A 209.124.63.212

ns2.neowin.net. 172800 IN A 209.124.63.214

ns3.neowin.net. 172800 IN A 208.43.57.26

;; Query time: 31 msec

;; SERVER: 192.31.80.30#53(192.31.80.30)

;; WHEN: Fri Jun 17 20:53:10 2011

;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 130

---

As to running your own DNS, yeah I would not suggest that at all.. Its not cost effective from even an elec standpoint.. You always need 2 Nameservers, and they really should be on different networks.. See the ns1 and 2 there - same network, not good -- but they have ns3 on a different network. Now I would have to look how they are connected you normally want the netblocks in different regions all together in case of a line cut or routing issue, etc.