• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Spanking your kids is a Felony

Hum    6,934

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (CBS) -- A judge in Corpus Christi, Texas had some harsh words for a mother charged with spanking her own child before sentencing her to probation.

"You don't spank children today," said Judge Jose Longoria. "In the old days, maybe we got spanked, but there was a different quarrel. You don't spank children."

Rosalina Gonzales had pleaded guilty to a felony charge of injury to a child for what prosecutors had described as a "pretty simple, straightforward spanking case." They noted she didn't use a belt or leave any bruises, just some red marks.

As part of the plea deal, Gonzales will serve five years probation, during which time she'll have to take parenting classes, follow CPS guidelines, and make a $50 payment to the Children's Advocacy Center.

She was arrested back in December after the child's paternal grandmother noticed red marks on the child's rear end. The grandmother took the girl, who was two years-old at the time, to the hospital to be checked out.

Gonzales who doesn't have custody of the child or her other two children, is trying to get them back, but until CPS feels she is ready the kids are living with their paternal grandmother.

source

Xerax    182

Stupid. Shouting at children doesn't have any effect. You need to be able to spank them. Not hit, spank. My parents spanked me.. And when they did i stopped and listen and learn't. If they shouted at me, i just thought meh.

Although you shouldn't spank a 2 year old :/ Over 6 atleast.

+trag3dy    4,193

And this is why most kids these days are brats. What a joke.

Calum    820

Of course it's a felony; it's child abuse. There are many other ways to punish a child and ensure they behave. My mother confiscating stuff I really wanted to use (like my Playstation) worked with me. My mother did spank me sometimes when I was younger, but I think she soon realised just how horrible and abusive it is.

He's Dead Jim    2,016

Smoking with kids in the house is child abuse

Calum    820

And? This case is about spanking.

e-berlin.org    77

SPANKING

spanking-204.jpg

ADULTS ONLY PLEASE!

Dinggus    340

People of the US are the ones ruining the country.

Spanking a kid with open palm on the butt is not abuse. Sheesh, where did all these ******* come from?

I got in trouble because I made soldiers do pushups and situps for 15 minutes to correct their discipline and let them know I'm the one in charge. Guess the military is phasing away with discipline, in which we'll start to battles that the government sends us to.

Nick H.    10,506

Pfft, next you'll be saying that we're not allowed to hang them by their feet when they've been bad.

A spanking isn't bad. Using a belt is bad, slapping or beating a child is bad, but a spank on a child's behind isn't. Your ass can put up with a lot of s*** (this is something that you learn more and more as you get older, although more in a metaphorical sense than a literal one) and a spank is not going to be the end of the World. It may teach the child a lesson at the time, however.

Calum    820

[. . .]

Spanking a kid with open palm on the butt is not abuse. Sheesh, where did all these ******* come from?

[. . .]

Yes, it is. It hurts them whether the pain is a little amount or not. Physically hurting a child is abusing them.

Pfft, next you'll be saying that we're not allowed to hang them by their feet when they've been bad.

A spanking isn't bad. Using a belt is bad, slapping or beating a child is bad, but a spank on a child's behind isn't. Your ass can put up with a lot of s*** (this is something that you learn more and more as you get older) and a spank is not going to be the end of the World. It may teach the child a lesson at the time, however.

There are other ways to teach a child a lesson, as I have pointed out. Confiscating the devices they like to use every day is one of the best ways; they soon learn then. Grounding is another effective method.

Dinggus    340

When I was grounded, I loved it. I'd sleep as long as I wanted. So, what did I learn from that?

Nick H.    10,506

There are other ways to teach a child a lesson, as I have pointed out. Confiscating the devices they like to use every day is one of the best ways; they soon learn then. Grounding is another effective method.

Fair enough, but how long until grounding a child gets the association of imprisonment and therefore becomes a felony?

I'm not saying that it will happen, but someone may be nutty enough to suggest it as a serious proposition, and then it will be one more form of punishment that parents aren't allowed to use.

I can't help but think that there is some correlation between parent's punishment rights being rescinded and the problems with youths. I will admit though that I have no evidence to support this idea, it is merely my thinking.

ftwr    0

It generally hurts a parent to spank their child. Emotionally it hurts the parent more than the physical pain that the child is receiving. When the child is hurting more than the parent, then I think it becomes abuse.

The difference is disciplining (spanking) a child for doing wrong or beating a child because you're upset or drunk or for another reason.

Thino    2

Yes, it is. It hurts them whether the pain is a little amount or not. Physically hurting a child is abusing them.

parents will soon be able to sue doctors for using syringes? it hurts and the pain is pretty big in terms of amount.

personally taking my devices or grounding me did not have any effect on me , back when I was 12 I had my Playstation taken away by my parents so that my grades would go up , guess what? my grades went down.

but let me tell you the one time I got spanked for imitating my dad's signature for school paper , I never dared doing it again.

sometimes , physical punishment is just the best solution , scaring the child not to do something , because he's not old enough yet to understand why what he does is wrong.

Dinggus    340
sometimes , physical punishment is just the best solution , scaring the child not to do something , because he's not old enough yet to understand why what he does is wrong.

I agree on physical punishment, because in the military you can smoke a soldier (pushups, situps, etc.), which is what I liked getting as a soldier if I did something wrong, not only did it correct me, but improved my physical fitness. Now, the military is making us cousnel them (just a word for writing up), if they get 3 counselings on the same thing, they can get an Art. 15 which would give them up to 45 days punishment, and could take away half their paycheck for a month along with rank. As a soldier, which one would want to learn from? Doing physical punishment or learning from your mistake when you actually lose money and rank?

Hum    6,934

Some Neowin posters could use a spanking :whistle:

articuno1au    1,264

Of course it's a felony; it's child abuse. There are many other ways to punish a child and ensure they behave. My mother confiscating stuff I really wanted to use (like my Playstation) worked with me. My mother did spank me sometimes when I was younger, but I think she soon realised just how horrible and abusive it is.

I'm betting you never did whatever it was you got spanked for again.

Taking items off children doesn't do anything to curb their behavior, it just makes the little ****s petulant.

Agreed.

A spanking isn't bad. Using a belt is bad, slapping or beating a child is bad, but a spank on a child's behind isn't. Your ass can put up with a lot of s*** (this is something that you learn more and more as you get older, although more in a metaphorical sense than a literal one) and a spank is not going to be the end of the World. It may teach the child a lesson at the time, however.

Agreed again. Subtle homosexual undertones to boot, I like it.

It generally hurts a parent to spank their child. Emotionally it hurts the parent more than the physical pain that the child is receiving. When the child is hurting more than the parent, then I think it becomes abuse.

The difference is disciplining (spanking) a child for doing wrong or beating a child because you're upset or drunk or for another reason.

I agree with this. My parents spanked me when I ****ed up. I am a better person because of it :\

I think there's a fine line between discipline and one step too far, but that's something you need to judge in the moment.

You can't send children to bed without dinner. My parents did this too me once, and then fed me a huge amount of food the next morning. Apparently this is child abuse, although personally I think it teaches you the value of food (something I learnt a little too well *pats belly*).

I know when I was a kid, taking my N64 off me did nothing to stop me being a **** head..

My mother got me once or twice when I didn't deserve it.. My brother was crying and I was asking him what was wrong (he and one of my other brothers had fought or something) and my mother came out and spanked me with a wooden spoon.. Then asked what happened :p I can tell you I never felt more manly then when the wooden spoon broke on me :p

So yeah, some mistakes will happen, but I don't hate my parents for it, and I don't think they hate me.. Hard to tell sometimes :p

I think we need more discipline, not less..

I'll spank my kids when necessary. I won't beat them, and they will know I love them.. They will also be well behaved as a result >.< Like all things, moderation is king :)

EDIT::

I really do love Hum :p

EDIT2::

Thino hit it on the head. Until you are old enough to make decisions rationally, the only way to stop it is small doses of fear. Would you prefer you spanked your child when he reached for a hot iron, or that he actually managed to grab it and hurt himself seriously?

Nick H.    10,506

Agreed again. Subtle homosexual undertones to boot, I like it.

I was thinking more about taking s*** at work, but whatever floats your boat. :laugh:

jwjw1    93

I'm gonna take to the belt if video games results in this type of stupidity....... :laugh:

articuno1au    1,264

I was thinking more about taking s*** at work, but whatever floats your boat. :laugh:

Bahaha, I was just poking fun :p

Amazing how often we refer bad things happening to us as: "Getting reamed", "getting butt-****ed" etc etc

I know quite a lot of people that do that for recreation, I think we are doing something wrong here :p

@jwjw1 - Same /nod

Ji@nBing    53

PC run amok yet again. I don't plan on ever having kids, but if I do, I will spank them. Anyone who says it's abuse needs to have their heads checked. It's discipline. Lack of discipline and all this new age PC bullsh^t is why kids are so out of control these days. Back when people used to actually spank their kids and discipline them, rather than talking about their "feelings", kids used to behave and have respect. Kids have no respect these days by and large it seems.

Sir Topham Hatt    349

I wonder at what age to the courts see children.

Some teenagers might like to be spanked. . . :p

articuno1au    1,264

Bit ****ed up if they are getting their parents to do it though ;)

Other then that I'm all in favour :p

I've always thought Masochists would be perfect for certain clinical trials..

Does this hurt?

Oh GOD YES!

About a 9 on the pain scale?

YES.. YES... YESSSSSS!!!!

etc etc

Shaun N.    569

So call me a criminal

remixedcat    2,767

hell I got spanked a lot as a kid but I turned out fine. LOL.