• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Spanking your kids is a Felony

mudslag    10,360

Yes, it is. It hurts them whether the pain is a little amount or not. Physically hurting a child is abusing them.

There are other ways to teach a child a lesson, as I have pointed out. Confiscating the devices they like to use every day is one of the best ways; they soon learn then. Grounding is another effective method.

Personal opinion on both fronts

articuno1au    1,264

Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger..

I thought the same thing, except when I say things like that to Mods I get a strongly worded PM suggesting I go practice recreation with my mother :\

Unix2    5

This is why this country is ****ec up. There is nothing wrong with spanking your kid when they don't listen your commands after few times of asking then to do something. This is why you see so much crime and ignorance because the government itself is responsible for this type of laws that does not make sense. Again I will use spanking only if your kids are not listening to you.

articuno1au    1,264

This is why this country is ****ec up. There is nothing wrong with spanking your kid when they don't listen your commands after few times of asking then to do something. This is why you see so much crime and ignorance because the government itself is responsible for this type of laws that does not make sense. Again I will use spanking only if your kids are not listening to you.

Did Unix2 just threaten to spank my kids?

tiagosilva29    952
Did Unix2 just threaten to spank my kids?
They will deserve it.

articuno1au    1,264

Little metaphysical ******** breaking the space time continuum..

For those of you wondering, I have no kids, thus the above :p

cleverclogs    293

OK lets take this back a step...

... go and watch some documentaries on Apes / Chimps / Monkeys...

See how the mothers treat the offspring.

They SWING THEM AROUND IF THEY NEED TO!!!!

They do this to TEACH THE DAMN THINGS what not to do! Children are not aware of right/wrong, the ONLY way they can learn is through the very neandathalic basics that we must employ. Children are animals, they have not got a brain developed enough to know any better. The only way is Short, Sharp pain! They HAVE to learn that way.

neufuse    4,310

it wont be long before yelling at your kid is child abuse, or dicipling them in any way becoming "abusive"

Unix2    5

it wont be long before yelling at your kid is child abuse, or dicipling them in any way becoming "abusive"

Agree, the way this country go, not surprise if I see this.

cork1958    1,994

And this is why most kids these days are brats. What a joke.

That's all that needs to be said.

I hope she appeals the case AND the judge gets disbarred!!

articuno1au    1,264

This is certainly not something the judge should be disbarred for..

Ambroos    801

Of course it's a felony; it's child abuse. There are many other ways to punish a child and ensure they behave. My mother confiscating stuff I really wanted to use (like my Playstation) worked with me. My mother did spank me sometimes when I was younger, but I think she soon realised just how horrible and abusive it is.

Exactly. My mom used to take away my keyboard and mouse (wireless), it was hell and had way more effect on me than spanking could ever have.

Southern Patriot    960

Exactly. My mom used to take away my keyboard and mouse (wireless), it was hell and had way more effect on me than spanking could ever have.

And how do you and Callum suggest disciplining a 2 year old? If you take away their toys, they will simply throw a tantrum, or behave worse than whatever they did in the first place to deserve punishment. While the things you guys suggest probably do work well for an older child or a teen, they simply don't work for toddlers and other younger children.

The fact that you have said that your parents did these things (taking away a playstation or a wireless keyboard and mouse) when you were younger lead me to believe that you can't possibly be more than about 20-25, and therefore likely don't have children of your own.

Roadrunna    38

And how do you and Callum suggest disciplining a 2 year old? If you take away their toys, they will simply throw a tantrum, or behave worse than whatever they did in the first place to deserve punishment. While the things you guys suggest probably do work well for an older child or a teen, they simply don't work for toddlers and other younger children.

The fact that you have said that your parents did these things (taking away a playstation or a wireless keyboard and mouse) when you were younger lead me to believe that you can't possibly be more than about 20-25, and therefore likely don't have children of your own.

+1

I have two children, 7 and 4. The older one misbehaves sometimes but I never need to smack him because he's old enough to understand why I'm telling him off. For serious trouble he gets privileges withdrawn.

The younger one will have her tantrum and just will not listen to anything, withdrawing her toys make her worse and ignoring her doesn't work as she can make a hell of a racket for well over a hour (at the last count) non-stop. I'm still trying to figure out how they breathe when she does this. Mind you, smacking doesn't work either if she's already started. I gave her a smack for running across a road without looking and she's learned from it - she crosses the road properly either holding my hand or looking first and then crossing (under supervision). I'd rather she got a short sharp smack than a hospital stay with broken bones or worse, dead.

Syanide    663

@Callum: If spanking a child is physical abuse, isn't taking away their toys emotional abuse? Wouldn't the child be sad, depressed or angry if it's stripped of it's comfort? Then you could argue that would be even more dangerous long term than a one time spank?

I think you know where I am going with this.

Kids need to be disciplined one way or another, and there will always be people arguing that you are hurting them. And if a kid cries (or screams or kicks around on the floor), an outsider can think that their parents are hurting them (even if it's a spoiled 2-year-old screaming over something as stupid as a toy being taken away), but have you ever been in a situation that you've spent more than a few hours with a kid? You'll learn 90% of them act that way. And they need to be disciplined somehow. Take it down to a level of a 2-year-old, you can't really communicate with them on a level you could with a 10-year-old, so taking away their toy only creates more mess. Instead, the method has to be primitive and downgraded to a level a two year old will actually understand: NO! (explaining what they did is wrong) and a spank on the ass (punishment for what they were doing).

Spanking is a valid mean of discipline, but yes, even I agree it should be a last resort. It's just that I think banning it is insane.

McKay    3,696

Spanking a child turns him into a snot. Fear, that's what makes him a man. I know a place where a man's worth is measured by the ears hanging off his dog tags.

Guest xiphi   

Spanking, taking things away, timeouts, etc... They all have their place given the context of the situation. To even remotely say spanking is child abuse is comepletely absurd. It's effective until a certain age. After which, you're just waiting your time when it could be better spent teaching them a lesson by talking to them or moving to a different form discipline that they can now understand.

Solid Knight    517

So if you can't use the spanking threat then how do you establish your authority when your kid ignores your commands? Seriously, not every kid feels like complying just because you sternly tell them to or just because you're going to ground them. Time-out is also a joke. I never cared about getting time-out as a kid. The only thing I cared about is whether or not I pushed my parents far enough to actually hit me. I played that line all the time as a kid.

jakem1    1,610

I was smacked a child and I can tell you it didn't teach me anything but that people think violence is an acceptable way to solve problems. It also filled me with a great deal of anger and resentment. As a general rule, the parents who you see smacking their kids are the ones you just know should be reported to social services. They're the sort that are constantly screaming at and abusing their poor children for no good reason at all.

Callum's right. Smacking is a form of child abuse and it has no place in a modern civilised society. If you can't get a message through to your child without assaulting it then you're not doing a very good job at parenting.

hkgonra    6

You can't punish a child without physical punishment to back it up.

If I knew my parents wouldn't have laid a hand on me I would have never been grounded.

Our schools still spank here.

AnotherITguy    166

Personally i think spanking should be the last option on the list of punishments. As my psych teacher suggested, when you take a toy or electronic device from your child and they start throwing a tantrum turn up some loud music and jam to it

Crisp    3,271

Having kids is child abuse.

MrGaius    0

Spanking is how BAD parents deal with the BAD children they failed at raising.

If you have done a good job as a parent and have kept your children away from bad things and fed them healthy foods, they would NEVER act in a way that deserves a spanking.

Parents:

Stop letting your kids watch TV.

Stop feeding your kids junk food and snacks.

Stop ignoring them from the time they are born from to the time they are old enough to go to school.

In other words, stop being a typical American or European parent. Kids behave that way because you failed them.

Hitting kids is only acceptable when you need to defend yourself from a little thug that was raised by BAD parents.

ahhell    1,303

Yes, it is. It hurts them whether the pain is a little amount or not. Physically hurting a child is abusing them.

There are other ways to teach a child a lesson, as I have pointed out. Confiscating the devices they like to use every day is one of the best ways; they soon learn then. Grounding is another effective method.

It's people like you that have turned kids into the disrespectful little monsters they are today.

Kids need to be spanked.

Solid Knight    517

Personally i think spanking should be the last option on the list of punishments. As my psych teacher suggested, when you take a toy or electronic device from your child and they start throwing a tantrum turn up some loud music and jam to it

Of course, you don't jump immediately to the end. Really, you need to be consistent and have a system of punishment that scales. I always got one or two warnings. My dad always delivered on whatever he said so I never tested my boundaries with him; as a result, my dad has only spanked me very few times (less than five) in my entire life. My mom, on the other hand, was a bit more inconsistent so I could end up pushing the line for several hours (doing a variety of passive-aggressive actions) before she delivered.

The reason time-outs and grounding were ineffective with me is because I moved around so frequently that I was used to not having my stuff or not having friends from the move. The result of that is I could entertain myself without needing anything or anyone. What were my parents going to do? Not let me think or sleep or do math in my head? Those were just a few things I liked to do to "beat the punishment" as my mentality was to have fun anyway in order to make the punishment ineffective.