Spanking your kids is a Felony

It's people like you that have turned kids into the disrespectful little monsters they are today.

Kids need to be spanked.

The people you are talking about are parents. Parents who are more interested in having affairs, watching football, or becoming obese instead of paying attention to their children.

Bad parenting is the reason why kids grow up to deserve a spanking.

Of course it's a felony; it's child abuse. There are many other ways to punish a child and ensure they behave. My mother confiscating stuff I really wanted to use (like my Playstation) worked with me. My mother did spank me sometimes when I was younger, but I think she soon realised just how horrible and abusive it is.

A light swat (open hand) is in NO WAY abusive. It's no different than tapping a dog on the nose when it does something wrong. You're reinforcing behavioral traits, nothing more, nothing less.

Spanking is how BAD parents deal with the BAD children they failed at raising.

If you have done a good job as a parent and have kept your children away from bad things and fed them healthy foods, they would NEVER act in a way that deserves a spanking.

Parents:

Stop letting your kids watch TV.

Stop feeding your kids junk food and snacks.

Stop ignoring them from the time they are born from to the time they are old enough to go to school.

In other words, stop being a typical American or European parent. Kids behave that way because you failed them.

Hitting kids is only acceptable when you need to defend yourself from a little thug that was raised by BAD parents.

Spanking is a necessary evil in cetain situations.

Spanking =/= beating, fyi

If you have done a good job as a parent and have kept your children away from bad things and fed them healthy foods, they would NEVER act in a way that deserves a spanking.

You have a 2/3 year old child, and you've just taken them for a day in the park. You're walking back home, and the child runs blindly in to the road without looking, despite the countless times that you've tried explaining why you look both ways. So you stop the child, explain why you look both ways, look both ways with the child and then cross the road. However, at the next road the child does the same thing. So again you tell the child, and explain the intricacies of how big metal objects can easily crush small, more fragile objects. The third road comes up, and the child does the same thing and gets hit by a car.

Rewind the scenario, and this time understand that there is a point where the information just isn't getting through to the child. A spank on the behind for the child's behaviour could very well make the child think, "what did I do to deserve that?" and act more warily in the situation they are presented with.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that everyone is entitled to their views of discipline (within reason, of course). But to say that spanking is how BAD parents deal with BAD children is ridiculous. I would prefer that my child got a minor spank from me than a colossal one from a car.

EDIT: Oh, and yes. Spanking does NOT equal beating.

Spanking is a necessary evil in cetain situations.

Spanking =/= beating, fyi

There are no "situations" with a child that has been properly raised.

People who are pro-spanking were always spanked as children, and they were not raised very well by their parents. They were allowed to watch TV, eat junk food, be ignored, not taught anything at home, etc.

A child who has been properly raised will not only obey their parents, but they will respect them and love them as well, and have a moral compass that lets them know right from wrong and needs very little parenting once they reach age 12.

A parent should not hit a child, that is just bad parenting. There are other ways of dishing out punishment - and in this day and age, it's taking away their gadgets and grounding them. :p

You have a 2/3 year old child, and you've just taken them for a day in the park. You're walking back home, and the child runs blindly in to the road without looking, despite the countless times that you've tried explaining why you look both ways. So you stop the child, explain why you look both ways, look both ways with the child and then cross the road. However, at the next road the child does the same thing. So again you tell the child, and explain the intricacies of how big metal objects can easily crush small, more fragile objects. The third road comes up, and the child does the same thing and gets hit by a car.

The child is unhealthy because the parents didn't feed it well to develop its brain properly or teach it common sense. Any good parent teaches their child everything before they can even SEE a road for themselves. A healthy child also knows instinctively that cars will kill it. All you need to do is inform the child what a car can do. There is no reason to hit it.

EDIT: Oh, and yes. Spanking does NOT equal beating.

Of course not, but even raising a hand to a child means that you have failed that child long before you decided to spank it.

People who are pro-spanking were always spanked as children, and they were not raised very well by their parents. They were allowed to watch TV, eat junk food, be ignored, not taught anything at home, etc.

A child who has been properly raised will not only obey their parents, but they will respect them and love them as well, and have a moral compass that lets them know right from wrong and needs very little parenting once they reach age 12.

This is complete ****ing bull****. You clearly don't have a ****ing clue what you are taking about. :angry:

Quite frankly, you're post is deeply insulting.

That's bull****. I got spanked at home and I didn't watch TV (went outside all the time), didn't eat junk food (too poor for that stuff), wasn't ignored, and my parents taught me a lot of stuff. My dad brought me in on all the projects (to which there were numerous) to assist him. He treated me as a competent person. He also worked with me in a lot of other areas. So why did I get spanked? Hint, I outlined it above. It boils down to me trying to "beat the punishment". I was stubborn. I liked to "win".

And how many of these children have you actually raised, that qualify you to criticize those that use corporeal punishment??

I think this is stupid, When I as a child if we misbehaved we were punished with 3 hits from a paddle. That was just how it was. When i was in elementary school they principal was allowed to his us twice for punishment with a paddle. and i am only 23 years old.

Spanking a child shouldn't be a crime. As others have said, most children don't bother responding to confiscation/grounding or shouting. The thing is people are so quick to 'blame the parents' yet when the law takes away sensible methods of parenting/punishment then what hope have they really got?

I see no harm in a slap across the back of the legs, as for confiscation, a friend of mine had a VERY unruly child, she was told that shouting at him was verbal abuse and she had to talk calmly to him. Also on confiscating the TV from his bedroom they also told her that it was unfair on him! She couldn't win.

Good. Spanking rarely leads anywhere good and a good parent can raise kids without that BS without trouble whatsoever.

We did away with parent's right to spank their children here in 1966, with an explicit ban in 1979.

Studies has shown that the immediate, short-term, effects of spanking are positive, but that long term negative effects shouldn't be neglected. See also e.g. http://doi.apa.org/index.cfm?doi=10.1037/0033-2909.128.4.539

The parents are brainwashed by homosexual propaganda, and have begun to promote homosexuality in their own child.

Holy crap, your IQ is at the same level of intelligence of a tree... My dog is much more intelligent than what you are showing in that very low level comment.

That was just how it was.

People tend to say this in order to rationalize something they know instinctively is unnatural.

The school administrators had no right to hit you. They simply should have refused to teach you any longer. However, public and some private schools loved to push this kind of punishment because most schools are designed to produce angry, aimless, unproductive, and socially and mentally defunct children, and violence is one effective way to produce an animal rather than a human being of rational, moral thought.

The child is unhealthy because the parents didn't feed it well to develop its brain properly or teach it common sense. Any good parent teaches their child everything before they can even SEE a road for themselves. A healthy child also knows instinctively that cars will kill it. All you need to do is inform the child what a car can do. There is no reason to hit it.

Do you have children? Have you seen how blind a young child can become when they are over-excited? It doesn't have to be from unhealthy eating, it can be from the excitement of the moment. Rules can be forgotten quickly in those moments, regardless of how well you raise a child. Trying to hold their attention while telling them to be careful is like trying to explain the theory of relativity to them. It's in one ear and out the other.

I also don't understand where you got this notion that a healthy child knows instinctively that cars will kill it. Using that logic any animal will know instinctively that a car will kill it. And yet we have road kill and people getting knocked down by cars.

My point of spanking the child was that it is to be used after you've explained countless times. Then the child does it again, and you warn the child again. But as I said, an over-excited child has the ability to forget for a split second about the rules they've been told, and that split second could be crucial.

Heck, a few months back I was nearly knocked by a car because I spotted a bus that I needed to catch. For a split second I thought, "c***, I need to get that bus" and stepped out to start running. For a split second I completely disregarded how I had been brought up and nearly found myself on a car bonnet. Thankfully the car wasn't going fast, and I was big enough to be spotted by the driver as I was in an open space. If it had been a small child, running between two parked cars to cross the road, they might not have been ok.

There are lapses in judgement. It happens. But when you're a parent, you want to impress the idea of not having a lapse in judgement as much as you can on your child that you want to protect. Depending on the age of the child, words don't always work.

As I said before, I would rather give my child a spank than have the car give him a wallop.

EDIT: I've just seen the comments you've made while I was writing this, and...wow. :blink:

I also don't understand where you got this notion that a healthy child knows instinctively that cars will kill it. Using that logic any animal will know instinctively that a car will kill it. And yet we have road kill and people getting knocked down by cars.

Children are not animals.

My point of spanking the child was that it is to be used after you've explained countless times. Then the child does it again, and you warn the child again. But as I said, an over-excited child has the ability to forget for a split second about the rules they've been told, and that split second could be crucial.

Healthy children are not overstimulated to the point of losing rational focus.

There are lapses in judgement. It happens. But when you're a parent, you want to impress the idea of not having a lapse in judgement as much as you can on your child that you want to protect. Depending on the age of the child, words don't always work.

Lapses in judgment come from inexperience. It is the parent's responsibility of teach the child what can hurt them, such as a hot iron. However, most parents are too caught up in themselves to instill any of these simple things in their child.

I was smacked a child and I can tell you it didn't teach me anything but that people think violence is an acceptable way to solve problems. It also filled me with a great deal of anger and resentment. As a general rule, the parents who you see smacking their kids are the ones you just know should be reported to social services. They're the sort that are constantly screaming at and abusing their poor children for no good reason at all.

Callum's right. Smacking is a form of child abuse and it has no place in a modern civilised society. If you can't get a message through to your child without assaulting it then you're not doing a very good job at parenting.

I think we have different ideas on what spanking a kid is. Most people in this thread think it's just swatting a kid on the butt or hand once or twice when they perform a nono. You seem to be saying you got beat bloody for your punishment which is not what this is about. That kind of thing of course is bad.

Also, that MrGaius is trolling 100%. No need to even bother replying to him anymore.

@MrGaius: Welcome to neowin I hope your stay is short.

Also, that MrGaius is trolling 100%. No need to even bother replying to him anymore.

The very notion that you think I am trolling only goes to show how little sense we as a society have.

There is no reason to hit anybody, especially a child, except in cases of self-defense.

The very notion that you think I am trolling only goes to show how little sense we as a society have.

There is no reason to hit anybody, especially a child, except in cases of self-defense.

Again, tell us how many children you have raised??

People tend to say this in order to rationalize something they know instinctively is unnatural.

Fail. Humans are animals. Animals that live in groups use a gradient of aggression to teach other members boundaries. It's natural. Further, if it wasn't then it wouldn't have become a near universal tool.

Hitting kids is only acceptable when you need to defend yourself from a little thug that was raised by BAD parents.

Thats nice, i didnt realise the world was so black and white.

I was smacked as a child and it taught me discipline and respect, i dont drink, i dont smoke, i dont do drugs, i dont act like a ****head, i treat everyone with the proper respect i expect them to treat me the same, smiling and saying good morning, holding doors for people, etc..