• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Spanking your kids is a Felony

+trag3dy    4,191

The very notion that you think I am trolling only goes to show how little sense we as a society have.

There is no reason to hit anybody, especially a child, except in cases of self-defense.

lol okay...

I could make an in depth post about how you're wrong. But I'll just say this: you're wrong.

And in the process save myself some time because I know it won't convince you of anything.

MrGaius    0

Thats nice, i didnt realise the world was so black and white.

I was smacked as a child and it taught me discipline and respect, i dont drink, i dont smoke, i dont do drugs, i dont act like a ****head, i treat everyone with the proper respect i expect them to treat me the same, smiling and saying good morning, holding doors for people, etc..

This behavior is common sense as those activities are self-destructive and are not done by any rational person with any sense of self-preservation. Any child that has been raised properly, in the right kind of environment, and without hitting them, will also lead to the same behavior.

+trag3dy    4,191

This behavior is common sense as those activities are self-destructive and are not done by any rational person with any sense of self-preservation. Any child that has been raised properly, in the right kind of environment, and without hitting them, will also lead to the same behavior.

But in your previous posts you declared it was impossible for a child who is spanked to be raised properly.

Nick H.    10,505

Lapses in judgment come from inexperience. It is the parent's responsibility of teach the child what can hurt them, such as a hot iron. However, most parents are too caught up in themselves to instill any of these simple things in their child.

Lapses of judgement come from inexperience...I'm pretty sure I've been around cars long enough to know that they hurt, and I've read enough in the news to know that they kill. But as I pointed out, for a split second my judgement escaped me because something else momentarily caught my attention.

Looking at your comment on the hot iron for a moment, how did you deal with that situation with your child? Did you explain the intricacies of fire and heat, and how to tell if the iron is hot before they saw one? What happened afterward, did you wait until your child was going to reach for it before shouting at them and then explaining why they shouldn't reach for it? Or did you leave them to it and afterwards say, "well I warned you"?

Notice how spanking doesn't factor in to that (at least, as far as it goes for me). That's because the situation isn't life threatening for the child. Our instinctive reaction with something hot is to let it go, resulting in a burn that will heal. But what has the child learned from that, more than he would have learned if he had just been told? Pain equals bad, don't touch the hot object again.

Returning to the car incident, the same rule can be applied. Pain equals bad, don't run in to the road again. The difference (as I'm now going to point out for the third time) is that the pain from a spank is more bearable for a child than the pain from being hit by a car, which could be life threatening.

Art3x    81

Since when are children considered rational people? Specifically 6 and under.

Tews    207

How many children have you felt you needed to spank to make up for your neglect?

zero, zip, nada ... I wasn't neglected and neither were the children that I actually raised ... you on the other hand appear to have no experience at all, yet love to spout opinions that have no basis in fact, that expose you for the troll you are...

norseman    259

Yes, it is. It hurts them whether the pain is a little amount or not. Physically hurting a child is abusing them.

There are other ways to teach a child a lesson, as I have pointed out. Confiscating the devices they like to use every day is one of the best ways; they soon learn then. Grounding is another effective method.

You're too soft. I hope you don't have children.

bguy_1986    364

I was spanked as a child many times. I'm perfectly fine now, I was perfectly fine after I was spanked. I don't believe my ass was ever bruised... (When it get's that bad, it's probably child abuse.) I wouldn't take my childhood back for anything. I'm proud of the way my parents raised me. People I work with will say the same thing.

Getting spanked help lead to who I am today. If I wasn't spanked I can honestly say my life would be different. I would be a brat, or throw a rant when things don't go my way. I don't think I would work near as hard as I do now if I wasn't spanked.

We are raising a bunch of wussies because of all these stupid laws. My theory is the people creating the laws and making a big deal about it were raised up to be wussies and always got their way. There are only a few compared to the population that probably have a problem with spanking. These few make a big deal about it and have to have their way, and those that have been raised right aren't going to make a deal about it because we weren't raised to cause a bunch of trouble, and they don't want these wussies to get together and try to throw you in jail.

http://thewussificationofamerica.com/

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=9745

AbandonedTrolley    93

I'm just blown away at how perfect McGaius' world must be.

Sorry but there is no way you can say that ALL unruly children are as a result of bad parenting. Once a child becomes old enough and gets a mind of their own then it is out of the parents hands. Yes you can say that the parents should have already brought them up to know right from wrong and I'm pretty sure most would. That still doesn't stop that child being their own person and making up their own minds.

People snap and things happen. Are you telling me that EVERY murderer has had a bad upbringing? Sometimes in life things out of anyones control have an influence on what we do.

Guest xiphi   

There are no "situations" with a child that has been properly raised.

People who are pro-spanking were always spanked as children, and they were not raised very well by their parents. They were allowed to watch TV, eat junk food, be ignored, not taught anything at home, etc.

A child who has been properly raised will not only obey their parents, but they will respect them and love them as well, and have a moral compass that lets them know right from wrong and needs very little parenting once they reach age 12.

Excuse me? I was spanked, grounded, etc, and I turned out just fine. I know exactly the different between right and wrong. To say my parents were bad is an insult. I couldn't ask for a better set of parents. They're always there when I need them, and will always welcome me and my siblings home. Same goes for when they need something from me or the rest of my siblings.

Your analysis is heavily flawed.

MrGaius    0
Looking at your comment on the hot iron for a moment, how did you deal with that situation with your child? Did you explain the intricacies of fire and heat, and how to tell if the iron is hot before they saw one? What happened afterward, did you wait until your child was going to reach for it before shouting at them and then explaining why they shouldn't reach for it? Or did you leave them to it and afterwards say, "well I warned you"?

Does the child need to be burned and hit for being burned? No. All healthy children will heed the parents warning anyway.

Returning to the car incident, the same rule can be applied. Pain equals bad, don't run in to the road again. The difference (as I'm now going to point out for the third time) is that the pain from a spank is more bearable for a child than the pain from being hit by a car, which could be life threatening.

A healthy child would simply heed a warning the first time. They don't need to be hit by a hand to avoid getting hit by a car. Stop thinking that violence is the only way to stop a violent accident.

Tews    207

Does the child need to be burned and hit for being burned? No. All healthy children will heed the parents warning anyway.

A healthy child would simply heed a warning the first time. They don't need to be hit by a hand to avoid getting hit by a car. Stop thinking that violence is the only way to stop a violent accident.

avoiding some very pointed questions, I see...

TheLegendOfMart    1,558

Oh dear, its obvious you dont have kids.

MrGaius    0

Since when are children considered rational people? Specifically 6 and under.

That is what parents are supposed to instill in them at that age.

I was spanked as a child many times. I'm perfectly fine now, I was perfectly fine after I was spanked. I don't believe my ass was ever bruised... (When it get's that bad, it's probably child abuse.) I wouldn't take my childhood back for anything. I'm proud of the way my parents raised me. People I work with will say the same thing.

Getting spanked help lead to who I am today. If I wasn't spanked I can honestly say my life would be different. I would be a brat, or throw a rant when things don't go my way. I don't think I would work near as hard as I do now if I wasn't spanked.

We are raising a bunch of wussies because of all these stupid laws. My theory is the people creating the laws and making a big deal about it were raised up to be wussies and always got their way. There are only a few compared to the population that probably have a problem with spanking. These few make a big deal about it and have to have their way, and those that have been raised right aren't going to make a deal about it because we weren't raised to cause a bunch of trouble, and they don't want these wussies to get together and try to throw you in jail.

http://thewussificationofamerica.com/

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=9745

I despise political correctness myself and am a regular reader of that website you linked, but the main reason that children are becoming wussified is because their parents won't step up to the plate and really raise their kids the way they should be raised, and use spanking as a band-aid for a wound that shouldn't have been opened in the first place.

bguy_1986    364

Yes, it is. It hurts them whether the pain is a little amount or not. Physically hurting a child is abusing them.

There are other ways to teach a child a lesson, as I have pointed out. Confiscating the devices they like to use every day is one of the best ways; they soon learn then. Grounding is another effective method.

If taking away a device does the same thing what we believe spanking does... Isn't the kid spending a little to much time with that device? Sounds like the device would be doing more of the parenting?

I've been grounded before, but it never really did anything. It takes a lot of work to successfully ground a kid. Spanking is quick and it definetly gets the point across about who's boss and what you were doing was wrong.

Tews    207

Please, refrain from feeding this troll any further ...

Nick H.    10,505

Now hang on a second, where exactly did I say that you should hit the child for burning themselves?

I also take it from your dodging of the question that you do not have children of your own?

And finally, I have never said that violence is the only way to stop a violent accident. If you actually read what I have been writing you would notice that I am saying that violence is not the first port of call.

However, as you have proven you appear to just be on some blind rampage to get your opinion across without listening to other people's points of view.

+Bryan R.    1,148

Wow :rofl: :laugh:

Art3x    81

cwr25414.gif

Stop trolling

This is for MrGaius.

Let the thread die.

MrGaius    0

Now hang on a second, where exactly did I say that you should hit the child for burning themselves?

I never said you said that.

I also take it from your dodging of the question that you do not have children of your own?

I do not have children.

And finally, I have never said that violence is the only way to stop a violent accident. If you actually read what I have been writing you would notice that I am saying that violence is not the first port of call.

My disagreement with you is that it should NEVER be a port of call with your own children.

However, as you have proven you appear to just be on some blind rampage to get your opinion across without listening to other people's points of view.

I'm listening to everything. Everybody is on 1 of 2 sides. I am offering the only 3rd alternative option: which is to raise your kids right so that spanking is never needed. I am by no means a pacifist since I think showing children how to fire guns responsibly is a healthy means of showing them how to be independent, but I don't think that any violence should enter the relationship between the parents and child if you expect them to think of violence as the last resort.

sc302    1,791

I have a question to those who think spanking is wrong.

When you talk to your child and they don't listen, when you yell at your child and they don't listen, when you put your child in time out and they don't listen, when you take away things from your child (toys, ability to do whatever) and they don't listen, whats left? When you have exhausted all other options and they continue to disrespect, choose not to listen, choose to do what ever they want, what do you have to try to correct the situation?

I know that I have tried reasoning, I have tried the reward system, I have tried bribery, I have tried punishment, but nothing works like the fear of getting the hand on the butt...you don't have to spank them everytime but they perk up everytime you mention the word, of course it has to be done once or twice and sometimes as a reminder, but some kids respond to physical pain more than being talked to or given rewards or taken rewards away. My wife complains all the time that my son has no respect for her, on the other hand he listens to what I say....the difference is that when needed I put a hand to his rear, when he doesn't listen, when he laughs when tell him that I am going to take away this or that, when he disobeys and has a smerk on his face when I am either talking to him or scoulding him. The parent should be responsible for their childs growth, this judge is wrong in making it a felony and I would take this higher up....but then again that takes money and this person may not have the money to fight this. This is just so wrong.

AbandonedTrolley    93

When you talk to your child and they don't listen, when you yell at your child and they don't listen, when you put your child in time out and they don't listen, when you take away things from your child (toys, ability to do whatever) and they don't listen, whats left? When you have exhausted all other options and they continue to disrespect, choose not to listen, choose to do what ever they want, what do you have to try to correct the situation?

I agree totally, there has to be a point where a light slap/spank should be used. However if you listen to some, then you have failed as a parent, if you had done a better job of that you wouldn't be in the situation to begin with! :laugh:

bguy_1986    364

I never said you said that.

I do not have children.

My disagreement with you is that it should NEVER be a port of call with your own children.

I'm listening to everything. Everybody is on 1 of 2 sides. I am offering the only 3rd alternative option: which is to raise your kids right so that spanking is never needed. I am by no means a pacifist since I think showing children how to fire guns responsibly is a healthy means of showing them how to be independent, but I don't think that any violence should enter the relationship between the parents and child if you expect them to think of violence as the last resort.

Violence is a last resort though IMO. If your kid is being bullied at school, and has been for a while to the point that it really bothers him, you want him to stand up for himself. Or atleast I do... I don't want my kid to get shoved around his whole life.

Girls are a little different... not sure I would spank a daughter... That will be the mothers job.

MrGaius    0
When you talk to your child and they don't listen, when you yell at your child and they don't listen, when you put your child in time out and they don't listen, when you take away things from your child (toys, ability to do whatever) and they don't listen, whats left? When you have exhausted all other options and they continue to disrespect, choose not to listen, choose to do what ever they want, what do you have to try to correct the situation

What does it say about YOU as a parent when all those things do not work for your child and you are forced to hit them?

I bet you let your kids watch TV, eat junk food, stay up late, never make them do work at home, buy them most of the things they want, right?

Your discipline should have come from your parenting to begin with from the minute they came out of the mother's womb.

Come on guys, think rationally for a second here...

splur    27

What does it say about YOU as a parent when all those things do not work for your child and you are forced to hit them?

Come on guys, think rationally for a second here...

Oh you answered it. You shouldn't be talking if you don't have children, because your rational thinking doesn't apply to non-experience.